Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will a wider shower hose give better pressure?

• 29-05-2020 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

The bath taps give a great strong flow, but the shower is very weak indeed. There isn't much improvement when you hold the shower head below the height of the bath taps.

The hose itself seems very narrow, so I'm wondering would there be a significant improvement in buying a wider hose?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

newboard wrote: »
    The bath taps give a great strong flow, but the shower is very weak indeed. There isn't much improvement when you hold the shower head below the height of the bath taps.

The hose itself seems very narrow, so I'm wondering would there be a significant improvement in buying a wider hose?

Thanks

The width of the hose won't increase the pressure. Triton T90 SR all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Wider hose will decrease the pressure.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

If I turned my shower head upside down, the water would barely flow out of it, this was after cleaning, pinning the holes etc.

I had a look for some high pressure shower heads and went for this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NL7SV41/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wasn't expecting much, but honestly the difference was night & day. It went from barely trickling out to water hitting the ceiling.

For 20e it's worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

newboard wrote:

Many spurious shower hoses have a narrow rubber tubing inside & this will restrict the water. Buying a genuine Mira or Triton hose will definitely be an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Many spurious shower hoses have a narrow rubber tubing inside & this will restrict the water. Buying a genuine Mira or Triton hose will definitely be an improvement

I saw this on youtube as well - that some installers fit this restrictor to save water usage. Is this not the same thing as using a narrow hose?

If it makes a difference, the pressure doesn't seem too bad, the volume of the flow just seems really poor. Maybe they're the same thing :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Gravity fed water systems are a joke. One of the best improvements I made to my house was to fit a 3 bar Stuart Turner dual pump in the hot press and reconfigured the plumbing so that the entire house plumbing worked at that pressure. The amount of time saved every decade in not waiting for water to fill baths, sinks, toilet cisterns would amount to days. The sheer pleasure of a high capacity shower that can deliver 26 litres a minute alone made it more than worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wider hose will decrease the pressure.

That is not true. No idea where you got that from.
    I think you are confusing speed with pressure. Speed will decreases, and a higher volume pipe, but pressure and flow rate (in litres/m) won't decrease.
    They could increased, but that depends on what the limiting factor is in OP case,

Advertisement