Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AM/PM Routinr

Options
  • 01-06-2020 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Ok skincare for dummies time for me...

I need an am and pm routine... My skin is sensitive dry and dehydrated.

Tell me what I need to use morning and night and in what order (not even specific products just like cleanser toner serum blah blah). Please?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Am.

1. Cleanser (maybe need toner depending on product used to cleanse)
    2. Serum
    3. Moisturize/Spf

Pm.
    1. Cleanser (as above)
    2. Serum
    3. Repair (night cream)

Depending on your skin and what products you’re using, exfoliation 1 or 2 weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

My routine is pretty similar to what Shoesdays Child has outlined above.

SPF is a non negotiable. Serums are more effective than moisturisers. Invest in both of those and you'll do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Random question - if both your moisturiser AND foundation contain SPF, do you apply a separate SPF as well? I must admit, I don't but I'm inside at work all day and generally avoid being outside in the sun if I can help it. I do have a tube of LRP SPF 50 should I need it for my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Some SPF now protect against blue screens so you should still wear it if you’re inside and working with computers or screens.
    Yes, spf in foundation is not enough to protect you for the day. Harder to answer spf in your moisturizer.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Random question - if both your moisturiser AND foundation contain SPF, do you apply a separate SPF as well? I must admit, I don't but I'm inside at work all day and generally avoid being outside in the sun if I can help it. I do have a tube of LRP SPF 50 should I need it for my face.

Define "contains spf".... most foundations say they contain spf 15ish but unless you apply your foundation as thickly as you should apply suncream, you're not getting even that low level benefit.

You should aim to wear at least spf 30 on your face. You should use a specific product designed for the face as regular suncream isnt designed to be worn on the face for any real length of time - fine on holidays beside the pool I guess, but it wouldnt work under make up etc.

You need to wear a specific facial spf year round, unless you live in a cave and never see sunlight.

I wear Image SPF 32 Matte which is a moisturiser but primarily its a daily spf product.

How old are you by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Some SPF now protect against blue screens so you should still wear it if you’re inside and working with computers or screens.
    Yes, spf in foundation is not enough to protect you for the day. Harder to answer spf in your moisturizer.

I didn't even know that was a thing!!
    My moisturiser is SPF 30, foundation 15, although I'm aware that the small quantities you apply to your face means that you may not actually be getting that level of protection, hence I try to stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible.

To answer the OP's question, I use micellar water, eye cream and moisturiser (with SPF) in the mornings.

I shower at night, so I use a foaming cleanser with a soft facecloth in the shower to remove makeup etc, then afterwards I apply eye cream, LRP retinol B3 serum, and a moisturiser. If I'm doing a facemask, I'll skip the LRP serum, but apply rosehip oil before my moisturiser instead.

My skin is actually looking pretty good right now I have to say. Also, I find that drinking a decent amount of water help with making my skin look more hydrated. Some people don't notice a difference in their own skin from drinking water - I do. (I'm in my 40's).

I've been watching quite a few skincare youtubers lately, and MOST of them favour a very simple routine with qood quality (that doesn't necessarily mean expensive), fragrance-free products. I'd advise OP to check out some youtubers, like Hyram, Cassandra Bankson, Caroline Hirons and see what they suggest.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I didn't even know that was a thing!!
    My moisturiser is SPF 30, foundation 15, although I'm aware that the small quantities you apply to your face means that you may not actually be getting that level of protection, hence I try to stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible.

To answer the OP's question, I use micellar water, eye cream and moisturiser (with SPF) in the mornings.

I shower at night, so I use a foaming cleanser with a soft facecloth in the shower to remove makeup etc, then afterwards I apply eye cream, LRP retinol B3 serum, and a moisturiser. If I'm doing a facemask, I'll skip the LRP serum, but apply rosehip oil before my moisturiser instead.

My skin is actually looking pretty good right now I have to say. Also, I find that drinking a decent amount of water help with making my skin look more hydrated. Some people don't notice a difference in their own skin from drinking water - I do. (I'm in my 40's).

I've been watching quite a few skincare youtubers lately, and MOST of them favour a very simple routine with qood quality (that doesn't necessarily mean expensive), fragrance-free products. I'd advise OP to check out some youtubers, like Hyram, Cassandra Bankson, Caroline Hirons and see what they suggest.

If you're following Caroline Hirons I'm surprised you're using things like micellar water, foaming cleansers etc.

I also don't use a tonne of products, but I'm careful that each thing I use is doing as much for me as possible.

Micellar water is better than wipes, but its not a cleanse in its own right. I use it only to take off heavy make up, but I'd also wash my face afterwards as they will leave a residue that dries out the skin. Using a cloth is good though. I know you didnt ask this but some micellar waters are drastically better than others, personally I only buy Bioderma, but some of them are very harsh.

Moisturisers are funny, I've heard them being described as a duvet for the skin - as in they feel nice, but they just sit on top. Your serum is your most important product in terms of actually treating any skin issues you might have.

I wear my daily spf - I've actually recently tried the Image MD spf 50 which blocks rays from computer screens so I'll probably move on to that once I've finished my current spf 32 product. Its expensive but its a lovely product.

And yes, water is super important. As is not smoking. Combined wtih SPF, drinking water and not smoking are the best things you can do. If you're not going these three things, then all the products in the world arent going to be able to do much for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I have dry/dehydrated sensitive skin. I have rosacea so have to be really careful about products I use. I dont change my night time/morning routine too much. With sensitive skin the less products you use the better.

Mornings -
    Thermal spray
    Hydrating Serum
    Vitamin serum
    Moisturize
    SPF.

Evenings -
    Cleanse
    Thermal spray
    Hydrating serum
    Vitamin serum
    Moisturize.

If youre looking for sensitive/dry skin product recommendations -
    CerVe face wash for dry skin is good, I started using skingrediants probiotic cleanser that im really liking too. Cream cleansers like Nivea for dry/sensitive skin are good.
    I use Avene water thermal spray for sensitive skin.
    While my face is still wet I use BioDerma Hydrablo Serum for dehydrated/sensitive skin.
    Then I usually add a vitamin serum like Moogoo multivitiman or skingredients Skin protein.
    Then I moisturise with Moo Goo Natural full cream moisturizer.
    If my skin is excessively dry I use Aveeno Skin relieve cica balm
    I then use an SPF 50. My doctor told me that sensitive skin types should wear spf 50 and its made such a huge difference to my skin.
    Image and Skingredients are really good.

It might be a good idea to stay away from micellar waters and foam cleansers, they can be nightmare for dry/sensitive skin, they have allot of alcohol which is really drying and irritating.
    Also, I would suggest not introducing any active ingredients like retinols or exfoliants which are drying and not always suitable for dry skin, they can be incredibly irritating and cause you more problems in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

My routine is very simple.
    I have very sensitive/reactive skin and have to say it improved with lockdown and am quite happy with it.
    Pollution / lack thereof must have something to do with how my skin reacts.

AM
    -Serozinc
    -Moisturiser
    -SPF if I am going out
    PM
    -Micellar Water
    -Thermal Water

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I have dry, redness prone skin and have mild rosacea on my cheeks that presents as sore cracked skin, rather than postures.

I haven’t really worn make up since March and have been doing the below routine religiously since the start of May and my skin has never felt better. It’s like brand new skin, brighter and firmer and redness has definitely reduced. The first few weeks of lockdown my skin was never worse. It was physically painful to smile because my skin was so so tight.

I’m a Sephora fiend so whenever I’m in the States I buy a few different gift sets of skincare brands to try at home which is how I started using Belif, Farmacy and Laneige. Thankfully Ole Henriksen is available in Ireland now!

AM:
    Gel face wash (Belif - Jelly Cleanser)
    Toner (Laneige - Essential Power)
    Vitamin C serum (Ole Henriksen - Truth Serum)
    Gel moisturizer (Avene - Hydrance Aqua Gel)
    SPF 50 (Avene)

PM:
    Oil or balm cleanser if I wore make up that day (REN cleansing balm or Farmacy green clean balm)
    Gel face wash (Belif - Jelly Cleanser)
    Glycolic acid toner (Pixi Glo Tonic)
    Hyaluronic acid serum (The Inkeylist)
    Eye gel (The Ordinary - The caffeine one in the dropper bottle)
    Cream moisturizer (The ordinary - Natural moisturizer factors + HA)
    Lip balm (Laneige - lip sleeping mask)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chic chick

After lockdown I decided I wanted to invest in my skin so I went to a skin health consultant. It was the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. Her knowledge was unreal and I learnt so much at just one visit. The initial consultation is to see what your skin care goals are then a plan/ prescription is done.

The most important thing was a moisturiser with spf and then to build from that. I have being using it since along with a serum and really see a difference

The plan is to eventually use Retinol in the pm routine Advised to start slow with Retinol. Only to use at night, once the first week, twice the second week and build up to nightly use.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

chic chick wrote: »
    After lockdown I decided I wanted to invest in my skin so I went to a skin health consultant. It was the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. Her knowledge was unreal and I learnt so much at just one visit. The initial consultation is to see what your skin care goals are then a plan/ prescription is done.

The most important thing was a moisturiser with spf and then to build from that. I have being using it since along with a serum and really see a difference

The plan is to eventually use Retinol in the pm routine Advised to start slow with Retinol. Only to use at night, once the first week, twice the second week and build up to nightly use.

Where did you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chic chick

Sorry I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to say. It was Sarah Warren Skin Health. She is based in Maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

chic chick wrote: »
    Sorry I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to say. It was Sarah Warren Skin Health. She is based in Maynooth
    Thank you!

Advertisement