Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Today I listened to...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Listened to The Blarney Pilgrims Podcast episode 14 and 38 today. Two seperate interviews with two brothers who emigrated in the 50s/60s from East Clare to Australia/England and they give an account of life becore leaving and how they made a new life for themselvss on foreign soil as well as a few tunes along the way.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Unheard: The Fred & Rose West Tapes
    Tough going in parts, but interesting stuff.

https://open.spotify.com/show/2RaVHoj2OyYEGpb8deVK85?si=s9-L8SXlSzOM7HaQ2Cdy3g

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Gossipmongers. Not for everyone but some great laughs, some of the callers’ stories can be crap. It is English humour but I laughed out loud walking which was a first for me with any podcast ever. S2 best of 2019 is class

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

New Dan Carlin episode, supernova in the East IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Cushtie

The Drop out. About this college dropout who created a startup based on doing multiple blood tests on a single drop of blood. Got huge investment and serious business people to join the board of directors, things weren't all that they seemed however.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,862 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Cheers for that. I've got them ready to go.

There was a good one by RTE on an Irish serial killer in London called the nobody zone.

Worth a listen.
    https://overcast.fm/+XrLhVhpy8

• Registered Users Posts: 19,862 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Listening to the first few episodes. Good recommendation. It's made in a similar style to The Nobody Zone I recommended above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭optogirl

For Adam Buxton lovers his autobiography is now on Audible and as lovely as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Tork

Donal Fallon's "Three Castles Burning" https://podtail.com/en/podcast/three-castles-burning/ One about monuments in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lozzapozza

Today I listened to I'm Grand Mam

Hilarious podcast full of funny Irish sentiments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Listened to Death in Ice Valley recently, about the body of a woman found in Norway during the cold war.

It was grand, 35ish minutes episodes but it felt like too many episodes for the amount of material they actually had. The Norwegian lady has a lovely accent, very easy to listen to, but they didn't seem to say a huge amount. Might be worth it if you're between your regular podcasts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Over the last while, a couple of This American Life episodes: 708/707/706/704.

All a bit confrontational and difficult due to policing, BLM, missing people, US border, etc. However, well-handled, as you'd expect.

704 (border stuff) is the one that got them a Pulitzer - a first for audio journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Lost Art podcast has been the main one for me these days, went back listened to all the older episodes again and even joined Patreon for extra content.

Think I found anything with heavy topics too hard to deal with during Covid, even found Adam Buxton tough to keep listening to at times.
    I was mainly listening to music in my job, was frontline working till last week, so their playlists were deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Tork

fixXxer wrote: »
    Listened to Death in Ice Valley recently, about the body of a woman found in Norway during the cold war.

It was grand, 35ish minutes episodes but it felt like too many episodes for the amount of material they actually had. The Norwegian lady has a lovely accent, very easy to listen to, but they didn't seem to say a huge amount. Might be worth it if you're between your regular podcasts

I thought this was good, especially towards the end. Don't bother with the bonus episode which was recorded later on. It's a waste of time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

BBC File on 4: 5g the con job that could make you sick

First main interview was with a Dad whose daughter got sick in school. He didn't take to a doctor and moved her to a school away from any masts...

And later, there's stuff about autism, ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    New Dan Carlin episode, supernova in the East IV.

Loved it as usual. Particularly the movie-esque animosity between the Navy and Army guys.

But one thing bugs me about him: his regular Star Wars references. We haven't all watched it y'know Dan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I listened to Trisha and dan podcast. Love Trisha Lewis and her journey. So positive. Not so sure about Dan being honest I feel he tries too hard. She is a natural.

Some further BBC File on 4 episodes on mental health and crime during Covid, plus the Rochdale child abuse case.

Also started Believe from NPR which looks at the Larry Nassar case. If you're familiar with Athlete A on Netflix there's probably not a lot new, but this is powerful too.

https://believed.michiganradio.org

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Listened to Episode 22 of The Earthly Delights Podcast. Really good chat on recovery from addiction. Learned a lot from the interview and would highly recommend the listen.

I finished Believed mentioned above. I'd put it up there with Stardust for its power and emotional impact. Devastating. Not often I say 'oh Jesus' whilst listening to a podcast.

• Advertisement

I'm a few episodes into The Bomb which has been mentioned on here and promoted heavily by the BBC.

NPR's Planet Money had an episode about a truck driver and what sounded like pretty bad conditions, huge difficulties getting paid.

Has anyone listened to the Billionaire Boys Club? I heard the trailer for it.

Katherine Ryan has a podcast called telling everybody everything.
    Never mad about her on tv, but this is pretty entertaining at the minute for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Katherine Ryan has a podcast called telling everybody everything.
    Never mad about her on tv, but this is pretty entertaining at the minute for me.
    Had been weekly, but no new episodes the past 3 weeks.
    fixXxer wrote: »

Just started listening to this. Enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭bamayang

Listened to American Scandal. Its nice easy listening with interesting topics. Nothing too ground breaking, but well produced.
    Listened to "Big Tobaco" last week, might give "Oil" a go next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭optogirl

Where is George Gibney? Excellent investigative podcast from the BBC & Irish journalist Mark Horgan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08njhrm

The Almanac of Ireland

Manchán Magan has a show on RTE 1 that's now available as a podcast.

Interesting and quirky. I like it so far.

https://open.spotify.com/show/2EAYH8iqfQhnVGMQHWDR3x?si=ZE2MP8skRN2BMrWAspfofg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

A few from over the last few days;

Winds of Change: A look into the theory that the titular song was composed by the CIA as under the radar propaganda.

Darknet Diaries Xbox underground: Really interesting stories of hackers around the time of the 360 and also another example of how messed up the American legal system is.

Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-men: I’ve a real love hate relationship with this podcast. Love the content but hate one of the hosts insistence on retrofitting their Current sexual/gender/identity politics onto characters and into storylines. I tend to only listen when they cover major storylines I like but it’s currently covering my 90’s peak fandom...managed a good chunk of an episode, might try again in a few months.

+1 on Winds of Change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by 'Smartless' with Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Sean Hayes.

Each week one of them picks and guest and doesn't tell the others who it is.

I thought I would hate Sean Hayes and he plays an idiot in a lot of his roles but is actually an entertaining guy.

Well worth checking out.

• Advertisement

Listened to a 2 minute trailer for Wild Thing from 2018. It's about the search for bigfoot/Sasquatches. Looks like there's more episodes since, on UFOs - going by the feed. I'll try the bigfoot stuff anyway.

Advertisement