Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of taking a photo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

coffeyt wrote: »
    Can anyone advise the following:
    Is legal to take a picture of a vehicle parked illegally?

I'm not referring to publishing of it but say a person is trying to build a case to show dangerous parking in an area with a view to getting the garda to enforce the law, can a person take pictures of vehicles that are parked illegally for that use?

Have been advised there could be a gdpr issue but cannot find anything to confirm this?

My understanding of the situation above...
    Short answer is yes, taking an image of a vehicle is not illegal, assuming the person taking the photo is not trespassing.

If the vehicle is on or near a public road, or visible from a public road, it can be photographed, there might be some exceptions to the rule but I don’t know them off the top of my head.

For the purpose outlined by the OP, creating a collection of images for statistical data - I don’t see an issue, there are many online groups who publish images of vehicles badly parked, even boards.ie has a thread on it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057761511&page=36

• Registered Users Posts: 28,387 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Dublin bus I would hazard a guess, given the amount of abuse the guy has got.
    The job.

Bizarre it was even entertained to be honest, huge write up done our and awaiting my presence for interview.

Guilty until found guilty is how it works there....

Gotcha, in fairness, it's good to see due process happening. I'd love to see DB in particular taking a much, much stronger line on parking at stops and in bus lanes. There isn't a day that I travel through Rathmines/Camden/Wexford/Aungier/Georges St without meeting multiple vehicles blocking buses and hundreds, probably thousands of bus passengers during rush hour.

They should really have regular reporting by drivers to highlight issues to Gardai and DCC for action.

I've seen Ray Coyne making statements that appear to be taking this issue seriously on Twitter, so that might be good supporting evidence.

Advertisement