Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Playing Resident Evil 1, Intelligent Qube and Tekken 2 currently on PSone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Playing Resident Evil 1, Intelligent Qube and Tekken 2 currently on PSone

That intro movie on the original resident evil is unironically brilliant, especially the "cast" bit :p

Here's another oddity related to resident evil, that George romero was at one point going to direct a resident film. In the meantime he made a quick advertisement for resident evil 2 before it released

Gradius wrote: »
    Here's another oddity related to resident evil, that George romero was at one point going to direct a resident film. In the meantime he made a quick advertisement for resident evil 2 before it released

I remember seeing that ad a few years back :eek: Romero would have done a much better job than the Paul Anderson saga.

The RE1 cutscenes are what makes that game so great, the cast intro was dreadful but masterful in a way haha. RE1 is a game i always come back and play every few months, doesnt take long to finish, always makes me laugh with the voice acting and an overall cool game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

So having finished Twilight Princess and Super Mario World...I need to dip my toes into something more modern and have a little break from retro stuff. The last GTA I played was Vice City...so took the recent EGS giveaway of GTA V, and have started that. Very well put together game in terms of storytelling and bridging the multiple playable characters. Enjoying it so far!

To balance it out though, I'm playing a bit of OutRun Online Arcade in between GTA V sessions...great arcade racer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Although I'm not normally one for big budget games, GTA will always be the one exception. There's just something about their releases that feels like a massive event that can't be passed up. Driving around for the first time soaking it in is always really magical.

GTA V is brilliant. It's worth it for the madness of Trevor alone.

Never bothered finishing IV, the writing in it isn't nearly as engaging and I didn't particularly like any of the main characters. The city is well put together though.

Recently realised that I never actually played 3! Bought my PS2 when Vice City came out, so started there but never got around to 3 in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »
    Never bothered finishing IV, the writing in it isn't nearly as engaging and I didn't particularly like any of the main characters. The city is well put together though.
    Can't say I remember much of GTA IV but did get the expansions 'The Ballad of Gay Tony' and 'The Lost and Damned' and remember those to be a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

From left to right, after VLC player.

NES, N64, Gamecube, Amiga, Megadrive, C64, Playstation, SNES. Have MAME aswell.

Few hours to kill today!

Capture.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get rid of zsnes and get bsnes. Much better emulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Get rid of zsnes and get bsnes. Much better emulator. standalone emulators, and switch to RetroArch with LaunchBox as a frontend. Use the latest cores for your systems, there's bsnes, blastem, and other cycle-accurate emulators that you can use. Then enable a nice shader to give the screen a much nicer look, enable run-ahead to eliminate input latency, and enjoy unified controls for all the emulators.

I didn't know you knew much about RetroArch Retr0...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I'm up to end-game of Chrono Trigger on the SNES now. Time for some sidequests!

I've also been replaying Demon's Souls via RPCS3. That's retro now, right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's over 10 years old so counts.

Started Broken Sword as I never beat the directors cut. The Nicole sections are nice but there's a big difference in sound and animation quality between these scenes and the original which is jarring. Hoping to beat it so I can move on to the sequels which I never played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Been playing mega man 3, 4 and 5 on the NES. Waiting on delivery of 6 so looking forward to that.

Master of the Universe

accensi0n wrote: »
    Been playing mega man 3, 4 and 5 on the NES. Waiting on delivery of 6 so looking forward to that.

Where's 2????

:D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Where's 2????

:D

Never heard of that one, any good? :pac:

Nah, I completed 1 and 2 a couple of times last year, working through the rest now.
    6 will be the first NTSC version I've played of the MM games, interested to see if I notice a difference.

I've been playing kung fu master on and off for the last week. I had the first 4 levels perfected but that 4th boss just killing me over and over and over. You kick his head off, he reappears, no energy gone. You kick his head off then he reappears with a doppelganger... Just t couldn't figure out how to beat him so I caved in and read some tips. That must have driven people up the wall back in the hey days! 5th boss was fine but tough.

So with that game "mastered", I've started playing asterix. It's not as refined gameplay as kung fu master, but it's full of those Konami details that makes it a bit of fun, like the Egyptian boss turning you into a dog. Plus asterix and obelix are good characters mais oui!

Here's a random picture of it because life is so exciting these days :p

DSC-2101.jpg

Never heard of that one, any good? :pac:

Nah, I completed 1 and 2 a couple of times last year, working through the rest now.
    6 will be the first NTSC version I've played of the MM games, interested to see if I notice a difference.

You won't if you play it on a pal NES. It will run at 50hz.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You won't if you play it on a pal NES. It will run at 50hz.

Going to use a famicom AV with a cart adapter.

Started playing "Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine" this weekend also, great memories there. Also played "James Bond - THE DUEL" fun game but pretty janky and flawed in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Polybius - head melted :)

• Advertisement

Going to use a famicom AV with a cart adapter.

Ah ok should be grand.

I've totally gone off buying PAL NES games are most of the later games are utterly ruined since they sped up the music. So you have 2 choices. Full speed with garbage music or proper music and plays like crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Finally got the mediEvil remake for the PS4. Smyth's had it reduced to €15.

Played a few hours last night. It's really such a nostalgia trip. Really enjoying it so far.

Finally got the mediEvil remake for the PS4. Smyth's had it reduced to €15.

Played a few hours last night. It's really such a nostalgia trip. Really enjoying it so far.

Played through it on PS1 emulator a while back, a really fun game overall, really interested in picking it up on PS4 now its down to 14.99 actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Hooked up all the consoles in the game room while herself was taking over living room.

Played a bit of Dave Mirra BMX on Dreamcast for the first time. Not sure what reviews or the general consensus is but it sucks. Very budget feeling action sports game, the risk you take window shopping!

Master of the Universe

I saw Resident Evil 4 was on sale on the Xbox store so thought I'd pick it up, haven't played through it since the Wii release.

It sure does still hold up, absolutely fantastic game. Hard to believe it's 15 years old!

It really is one of the all time great action games. It's remarkable how long it is but I just love how it keeps introducing new set pieces throughout its run time. It just keeps it so fresh when most modern action games are 40+ hours long with gameplay that can't sustain them up to 8 hours without skinner box mechanics.

I also don't get people complaining about not being able to move and shoot. It's part of the core gameplay. It's like giving out about not being able to change the angle of your jump in Ghouls n'Ghosts. You have to commit to stopping and shooting. Sometimes you can add a lot to a games complexity by taking away elements. Capcom seem to recognise this with... well GnG and Resi 4 but also we wouldn't have gotten Bionic Commando without this sort of thinking.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I don't get the move and shoot issue either. If you were able to move and shoot it wouldn't feel like a Resident Evil game of the time.

They changed up so much already with this version that it's one of the core gameplay mechanics that still feels like it's part of the series. It ads a huge level of tension to the original games.

You played many of the newer ones? The last console game I played was Resident Evil 5 but kind of gave up at that point as it was starting to just go the way of the dudebro shooter.

Revelations wasn't too bad if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭barryribs

I couldn't get into 5 at all, played it on PS3 and got the remaster on PS4 to see what I was missing. Horrible mechanics and the atmosphere is awful in it. I tried 6 but it felt like more of the same. Played a bit of revelations and reminded me of Code veronica, not bad, just felt like something was missing.

7 is an absolute masterpiece though, proper survival horror.

Resi 4 is almost flawless to me, a really fun game with soo much stuff packed in for replay value. the pacing of the game is perfect too, between the bosses, different locations and specific rooms.

5 is a great game i think, the only thing wrong with it is the title, its not a resident evil game

• Advertisement

I played Resident Evil 5. It was... grand. The focus on co-op meant that the game was never going to be as focused as Resi 4. It just felt very samey whereas Resi 4 has a core set of mechanics that the game was constantly exploring in imaginative ways.

Resi 6 is pretty much the worst game I played last gen. They tried to appeal to the dude bro shooter crowd and ended up with a game that nobody could enjoy. Chris's campaign was so unbelievably bad where I spent most of the campaign foraging for ammo while getting swarmed by respawning enemies. People will tell you Leon's campaign wasn't bad but it's terrible as well, just the least terrible part of the package. I still remember a god awful boss fight in a church that was pure jank. There was no strategy or clever way to beat bosses. They were all unimaginative bullet sponges. **** that game.

I've not played Revelations games but heard they are decent.

I'd highly recommend Resident Evil 2 remake. They absolutely nailed that game. It's one of the best games of last year and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. I hear Resi 3 remake is disappointing and short but still decent.

I've actually started playing Resi 7 yet but hear it's excellent.

Advertisement