Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you use public transport as much after the lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's not practical because through no one's fault, buses and trains are not designed for these restrictions and enforcement will be a massive problem considering the problems on some routes as is.

What will happen is car traffic will be ridiculous as people are asked to go back to work but don't feel safe or just not able to get on a bus/train/luas.

A lot of people don't have a choice. I can't there being any major issues on Monday but as the restrictions are eased further there will be problems maintaining social distancing. I don't there will be a return to sardine can like buses and trains at least until the schools go back but I can't see there being a situation wherby two meters distance is going to be maintained at all times it's simply not possible or enforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Going to be a real issue for people living at the end of routes getting home. As difficult as it may be to get in to town in the morning from say Loughlinstown or Bray there is a tiny chance of getting a bus back out in the evening as they'll fill up with people only going as far as booterstown or foxrock and you'll be waiting hours.

It's always been bad for that, particularly something limited like a 7b but it'll be so much worse now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think its doable until September but once schools, universities restart it's going to be impossible. In a sense a second wave looks inevitable in October

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think its doable until September but once schools, universities restart it's going to be impossible. In a sense a second wave looks inevitable in October

there's no reason not to think, with a closed border and proper isolation controls, that the virus can be eliminated by then. Whether not that can actually be achieved in Ireland is another question entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

It depends on what happens in the next 6 months, I will be using public transport less as it stands right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Got the 145 from bray this morning at 7am, over its social distance capacity leaving Bray, picked up in shankill and cherrywood but that was about it. Bypassed a few people at foxrock, they'll need to get a weekday service back on for the 8th of June.

Social distancing wont be possible on transport its pretty clear, whatever about buses, irish rail and luas it's just not going to happen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

image.jpg

that sort of restriction in the image just isn't possible when society is reopened. You also know they'll try to though and it'll be a frustrating mess before they see fit to change it.

dfx- wrote: »
    that sort of restriction in the image just isn't possible when society is reopened. You also know they'll try to though and it'll be a frustrating mess before they see fit to change it.

You and I know that but the government and health experts who have likely never been on a bus in their adult lives do not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

I'd say the lockdown experience has doubled my wife's determination learn to drive and get a car. Depressingly used to seeing full buses flying past her stop (often single-deckers at peak hours :rolleyes:), now she's still seeing buses flying past her stop due to the distancing measures. You just can't win...

storker wrote: »
    I'd say the lockdown experience has doubled my wife's determination learn to drive and get a car. Depressingly used to seeing full buses flying past her stop (often single-deckers at peak hours :rolleyes:), now she's still seeing buses flying past her stop due to the distancing measures. You just can't win...

I might have to start using the Luas if getting left behind becomes a common occurrence on buses. If buses are leaving people behind because they are "full" I suspect those who can will flock to the Luas and the Dart and all the measures will be pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

storker wrote: »
    Depressingly used to seeing full buses flying past her stop (often single-deckers at peak hours :rolleyes:), now she's still seeing buses flying past her stop due to the distancing measures. You just can't win...
    I haven't had any buses pass off full yet (well used to it, though!) but there is a noticeable rise in the number of passengers, and I imagine next week will see this happen, especially if they keep Saturday hours/continue to have 25% capacity/don't increase the rush hour service.
    GT89 wrote: »
    I might have to start using the Luas if getting left behind becomes a common occurrence on buses. If buses are leaving people behind because they are "full" I suspect those who can will flock to the Luas and the Dart and all the measures will be pointless.
    I'll have to walk further out of my way down to the DART station if I can't get a bus, so I can definitely imagine this will happen!

Posy wrote: »
    I haven't had any buses pass off full yet (well used to it, though!) but there is a noticeable rise in the number of passengers, and I imagine next week will see this happen, especially if they keep Saturday hours/continue to have 25% capacity/don't increase the rush hour service.

Full M-F service will resume next week from what I believe which will be some relief

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

dfx- wrote: »

Bull****. This is the way of the future. People need to cop on and understand that the world will not be able to restart exactly how it left off.

Personally I won’t be going near a bus unless it’s hammering it down with rain maybe. Even then I might just work from home.

I’ll cycle where possible too.

So a mix of cycle, wfh and the occasional bus journey hopefully with the restrictions in place as per that picture with seats out of bounds.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So a mix of cycle, wfh and the occasional bus journey hopefully with the restrictions in place as per that picture with seats out of bounds.
    You understand that a lot of people won't have all of these options right? So yes, I can't see it being possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I heard on radio news a few days back that a bus with previous capacity of 70 (including standing) would now have capacity of 14.

DART presumably similar and we know it takes years for new trains to go into service from being ordered.

So people may want to use public transport as
    much as before, but the capacity will not be there for the 42% from the poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I have an annual DART tax saver ticket, have had one the last 12 years or more. Won’t be buying another one.

ixoy wrote: »
    You understand that a lot of people won't have all of these options right? So yes, I can't see it being possible.

More buses will need to be put on with proper restrictions on board until a vaccine is sorted out. No point otherwise. We’ll have a 2nd wave of it in no time if we don’t stay apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

I've been going back into work for two days a week recently so have seen this myself. A Bus Eireann VWD which would normally have a seating capacity of 75 has been restricted to 19.

I heard on radio news a few days back that a bus with previous capacity of 70 (including standing) would now have capacity of 14.

DART presumably similar and we know it takes years for new trains to go into service from being ordered.

So people may want to use public transport as
    much as before, but the capacity will not be there for the 42% from the poll.

In reality the DART and Luas will have the same capacity as before the lockdown unless they start employing people to prevent access to stations which I doubt. Buses will likely be the only mode to lose capacity severly as it will be left up a bus driver if they want to skip stops.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

More buses will need to be put on with proper restrictions on board until a vaccine is sorted out. No point otherwise. We’ll have a 2nd wave of it in no time if we don’t stay apart.
    But there aren't more buses to put on is my understanding. And there certainly aren't more trains.
    So if you can't increase the number of vehicles, but are told you can't increase capacity then either capacity has to budge or people will not be able to get where they need to go.

Are other countries restricting public transport so severely? I've seen mention of masks elsewhere but not a 75% capacity cut.

• Advertisement

Nonsense as other countries are already reducing the distance to 1 meter. Also a vaccine may never be found but public transport can't keep going like this.

public transporr can't keep going like this.

Damn right it can and should.

Ultimately it won’t and we’ll just end up spreading this all over again.

Unfortunately the short sightedness of certain people will be the downfall for the rest of us.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nonsense as other countries are already reducing the distance to 1 meter. Also a vaccine may never be found but public transport can't keep going like this.

Most of the countries with a 1 meter rule also have strictly enforced mask wearing rules, backed up with fines, etc.

That is what seems to be missing from the conversation about 2m's versus 1 meter social distancing.

Also people seem to have forgotten that those who can work from home, are supposed to continue to do so for the foreseeable future. And thus who can walk, cycle * to work should do so. Thus all taking the pressure off public transport and the social distancing.

* Doesn't it show the stupidity of the current grey area around electric scooters. They would be a very useful tool at the moment to help reduce the numbers on public transport.

bk wrote: »
    Most of the countries with a 1 meter rule also have strictly enforced mask wearing rules, backed up with fines, etc.

That is what seems to be missing from the conversation about 2m's versus 1 meter social distancing.

Also people seem to have forgotten that those who can work from home, are supposed to continue to do so for the foreseeable future. And thus who can walk, cycle * to work should do so. Thus all taking the pressure off public transport and the social distancing.

* Doesn't it show the stupidity of the current grey area around electric scooters. They would be a very useful tool at the moment to help reduce the numbers on public transport.

Denmark have reduced it to 1m and from what I'm led to believe from what I've read masks are very uncommon there. Even some of the countries which have had mandatory mask wearing policies are now relaxing these.

Most people who have alternative methods of sustainable transport instead of public transport use these already. Dublin by it's nature is spread out and many people need public transport to get into the city centre electric scooters are bit like putting a plaster on a gun shot wound.

No one is going to use an e scooter or even a push bike for that matter if they commute from Bray, Maynooth, Lucan, Ongar, Skerries, Citywest or Hazelhatch

Denmark have reduced it to 1m and from what I'm led to believe from what I've read masks are very uncommon there. Even some of the countries which have had mandatory mask wearing policies are now relaxing these.

Most people who have alternative methods of sustainable transport instead of public transport use these already. Dublin by it's nature is spread out and many people need public transport to get into the city centre electric scooters are bit like putting a plaster on a gun shot wound.

No one is going to use an e scooter or even a push bike for that matter if they commute from Bray, Maynooth, Lucan, Ongar, Skerries, Citywest or Hazelhatch

Ongar is approx 17k from town. Assuming you have a shower in work that’s nothing commute wise by bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We have free travel and most definitely won’t be using it for the foreseeable future
    We will drive anywhere we need to go and no more day trips on the train for now

Ongar is approx 17k from town. Assuming you have a shower in work that’s nothing commute wise by bike.

If you are a hardcore cyclist it's fine but most people I know of aren't going to cycle 17km to get to work they'll use public transport or drive.

If you are a hardcore cyclist it's fine but most people I know of aren't going to cycle 17km to get to work they'll use public transport or drive.

Lol hardcore cyclist to cycle 17k. I hope that was a joke. **** sake you could nearly run it if you were semi fit.

17k on a bike is absolutely nothing. My nearly 70 year old dad could do that ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

There are no more buses or trains, everything that does be out during the week is what's there. Drive past Donnybrook garage any rush hour and you might see 1 or 2 in the yard that's it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I commuted 20k each way for years, all year round. Don't get hung up on a shower being a reason not to cycle. Once you are showering regularly at home and changing into clean clothes when you arrive there is little reason to shower. A quick dry off with a towel (cleanish) and a bit of deodorant works for most. I realise this is slightly different for women with make up and hair ect. However for most a shower is simply not necessary.

Advertisement