Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality Dog Food.

Options
  • 19-05-2020 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi I have a 10 month old collie who is on Red Mills. I want some help to get him onto a good quality dry dog food. My budget would be around 35 euro per bag. Any opinion on a good food. I'm struggling to figure out a good one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Hey, what size bag are you talking about so I know what price point you're thinking? We buy big 11.7kg bags of food (Acana) for my dog but they last a good while and work out better value than the smaller bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Why do you want to change? Red Mills isn't bad.

Add an egg once a day and some tuna/mackerel from a can every so often to keep his coat nice and healthy looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭redroisin

Just make sure it's got real meat or meat meal in it and NO Maize, they cannot digest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Mask 13

Hi I have a 10 month old collie who is on Red Mills. I want some help to get him onto a good quality dry dog food. My budget would be around 35 euro per bag. Any opinion on a good food. I'm struggling to figure out a good one.

Zoo plus have really good food online. You might have to pay a little bit more per bag but the quality of the food is so high you dont need big portions so its works out cheaper in the long run.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This site is invaluable
    https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

I have 5 dogs, including a german shepherd with a sensitive stomach. I use the 12kg bags of Gain Adult Big Dog...its about €39/bag and it agrees with all of mine. none of them get upset stomachs and they all have great coats, teeth etc.
    I do add a tin of sardines once a week and the odd bit of raw, but day to day its the Adult Gain Big Dog

• Registered Users Posts: 15 IsIt Miturn

I used to feed Red Mills Leader to my old dog, good food, but it has a lot more crude ash in it now. I've switched to Select Gold from Maxi Zoo now. It has a higher protein level and trace ash. I mix it the odd time with tinned fish or if he has been on a hike with us, wet food (a decent brand, not brandy or pedigree chum!). Feed your dog to his size, and "work load" (meaning his exercise amount!) You'll often find that more expensive bags actually work out cheaper because you don't need to feed as much of it. Remember, people in pet stores are trained from a marketing point of view, not their fault, but it may be worth doing your own bit of research and then gradually changing his food!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭nhg

We feed our 8 yr old Collie & 1yr old Golden Retriever Taste of the Wild - both are on the Pacific Stream as the collie suffers with sensitive skin. We get it delivered from zoo plus because Petmania stopped stocking the puppy version.
    The retriever will be moving off the puppy & onto the adult version when his current bag is finished as he turned 1 last week. We get them weighed regularly to make sure they get the correct amount.
    It's expensive but works out cheaper than most of the regular brands as its high protein content & they only eat what they want & leave it & come back when they want more they don't gulp it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

We had a golden lab, Sammy. He would eat pretty much anything. His favourite was boiled spuds with gravy mixed in. I'd feed him the odd bit of fat from the table as well. He never liked the dry food so I mostly just gave him a bit of what we were having. He used to go crazy for ice cream. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I assume you're talking about a 10 or 15KG bag? I don't think it's possible to get good quality food for that budget.

• Advertisement
Advertisement