Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing a campervan from the UK or NI..?

• 16-05-2020 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a campervan and I have a couple of questions somebody might be able to answer.
    If I can't find anything suitable down here I might have a look up North (or maybe England).
    Is the process for importing and registering much different to importing a car?
    Is there any to be aware of or careful of?
    What's the best option for insurance and is there a standard price like with the cheaper road tax?
    Is there any disadvantages of I bought a LHD (like higher insurance premium)?
    Anything else I should be considering?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Flipperdipper

It's a lot different than importing a car. With a camper the customs in Rosslare will pick a figure out of the air, they won't tell you how they do this, tell you that that's the Irish value of the vehicle and charge you 13.5% of that value. Dolemen and Stuarts are the only companies that insure campers in Ireland, usually around €350 if you have a car as well. Road tax at present is €102 per year. No disadvantages with LHD except at some road junctions it's nearly impossible to see to the right but you'll develop a few tricks to get around this. Do a bit of research on this site or on Motorhomecraic for a lot more information. Good luck with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

It's a lot different than importing a car. With a camper the customs in Rosslare will pick a figure out of the air, they won't tell you how they do this, tell you that that's the Irish value of the vehicle and charge you 13.5% of that value. Dolemen and Stuarts are the only companies that insure campers in Ireland, usually around €350 if you have a car as well. Road tax at present is €102 per year. No disadvantages with LHD except at some road junctions it's nearly impossible to see to the right but you'll develop a few tricks to get around this. Do a bit of research on this site or on Motorhomecraic for a lot more information. Good luck with the purchase.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. What about VRT test for campers, how does that differ from a normal car VRT when it comes to the test itself, booking cost etc?

Is it actually worth the hassle trying to save a few Bob importing one, I was thinking of spending about €20k if I could find the right one for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Campers / motorhomes are tested in a commercial vehicle test centre, about €95 if my memory serves me right. Plenty of people have done it, as suggestes look on here and Motorhomecraic and you'll get plenty of info. Biggest problem would be damp.....and dodgy sellers, as they say BUYER BEWARE.

Advertisement