Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a dashboard/int. doors?

Options
  • 02-05-2020 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'd really like to smarten up a very scruffy dashboard on a 2001 T4 camper. Has anyone tried painting one? If so any product recommendations gratefully received ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

m8 wrote: »

Thanks a mill but it's definitely a 'paint' that I'd need - there's no lustre to restore! I'll post a pic whenever I manage to get dressed :)

I use tyre paint that is thinned well for my bumper but never used on internal parts, just dampen a brush with it, it's as ok from my bumper and external black trim but not sure about a dash. Doesn't crack or flake. Not sure if there is any other paint to do it with.

Maybe test on a small part first. Make sure you have it watery thin tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can you post a pic of the dashboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Give some thought to the toxicity of the paint. It could be "evaporating" particles esp. in sunlight for a long while afterwards.
    Maybe a vinyl wrap is an option? Or a shag pile upholstery job?

• Advertisement

A few pics (hopefully, laptop misbehaving)

Give some thought to the toxicity of the paint. It could be "evaporating" particles esp. in sunlight for a long while afterwards.
    Maybe a vinyl wrap is an option? Or a shag pile upholstery job?

Thank you all! When you say toxicity, are you talking about the tyre paint M8 mentioned?

I would not advise the Tyre paint for internal use but like I said I use it for the bumper and mirrors and so on.

m8 wrote: »
    I would not advise the Tyre paint for internal use but like I said I use it for the bumper and mirrors and so on.

Thanks M8, tyres and bumpers are in great shape, just the dash that's letting her down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Thank you all! When you say toxicity, are you talking about the tyre paint M8 mentioned?

No, not specifically tyre paint. Just a general thought about auto paints and sitting in close proximity for long periods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A few pics (hopefully, laptop misbehaving)

It’s nowhere as bad as I thought it would be. No way I’d be painting it anyway.

Put a post up in the detailing forum. There are products and techniques that you can use to restore that.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s nowhere as bad as I thought it would be. No way I’d be painting it anyway.

Put a post up in the detailing forum. There are products and techniques that you can use to restore that.

A lot of it is because the external paintwork and (new) conversion are in great shape and the front cabin looks, well, like a 20-year-old van. If the whole van was scruffy I'd be a lot more relaxed about it! I didn't know there was a detailing forum so thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

Dont know what they have done here, but not my style!!

https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/28392430

bren11 wrote: »
    Dont know what they have done here, but not my style!!

https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/28392430

Yellow?? Interesting choice ...

Maybe if no other option try the Tyre paint, it looks great on my bumper and like I said it does not crack, thin it out well and apply sparingly. Try a small bit first to see whats it looks like, I also use it on the back of my mirrors and anything that is black outside like door handles and locker handles.

Maybe apply with a sponge.

Advertisement