Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Football Podcasts - General Thread

• 09-03-2020 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

I see Second Captains gets a lot of attention on here (obviously!) but it's a shame that no one seems to talk about any of the others.

I'm a weekly listener to the following;

The Totally Football Show with James Richardson

Guardian Football Weekly with Max Rushden

The Football Ramble/Jules & Andy/On the Continent

And I dabble in and out of;

The Game with Natalie Sawyer

Quickly Kevin

The Official Fantasy Premier League Podcast

Football Daily

Football Weekly is the best imo. With Barney Ronay being the best pundit working today. I just love their selection of regulars; Barry and Jonathan Wilson are always a good craic.

Interested to see other peoples opinions on best pods/pundits etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I would go demented if I had to listen to that many football podcasts in one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

I used to listen the The Guardian when James Richardson hosted it, then I James followed to Totally Football, but got bored quickly.
    I also wasn't a big fan of Max Rushden and Barry so I couldn't stick with The Guardian.

I now listen to two Arsenal podcasts (Arseblog and Arsenal Vision) and Second Captains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Listen to a few

Totally football show (twice a week) - does a good concise coverage of everything going on, humourous and informed.

Football Cliches Podcast (weekly) - Adam Hurrey looking at the lighter side of things, quite funny

Peter Crouch Podcast (weekly) - generally very funny

Redmen TV (match previews, reviews and daily news for Liverpool) - These can be good for a fan centric build up - however I skip a lot of them as its quantity over quality and sometimes the prep work is very poor (example last week of talking about a player being in contention to play while he was playing an underage game in a different country).

Jamie Carragher's Greatest game - interview series. These can be very good cause Carragher is quite blunt at times and will ask uncomfortable questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Listen to a few from the Athletic along with others mentioned like Second Captains.

Steilcast - On the Bundesliga by Rafa Hongstein(weekly)
    Ornstein and Chapman - general football podcast (weekly with occasional extra interviews)
    Zonal Marking - weekly show from Michael Cox, bit hit and miss I find. Usually focuses on a teams tactics so depends if your interested in that team I suppose

Do you know how to get the athletic podcasts without ads (for athletic subscribers)? I didn't know it was possible but they said it was on the Football cliches podcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

steve_r wrote: »
    Do you know how to get the athletic podcasts without ads (for athletic subscribers)? I didn't know it was possible but they said it was on the Football cliches podcast

You have to login and listen via the Athletic website or app

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

BBC 606 Saturday and Sunday phone in after the games won't be a few weeks/months until a new one

The magic sponge is one from a number of years ago, mix of comedy and football with special guests and great stories

Leeds Utd related I listen to The Square Ball, talking shutt and Phil Hay show on the athletic podcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I like the guardian podcast, especially when Wilson, Ronay or Philippe Auclair are on. Barry is good too, but mainly when the company is good. The Barry and Max double act can get a bit grating, especially since Max can be a bit cheesy, and he really over-does the laugh, like Dave Clifton from Alan Partridge :) I loved when James was the host, and he is missed, but I kinda gave up on his new podcast: it is just a bit smug for me, which is a shame because I really like James.

Can't listen to any of the Irish sports podcasts. Then just give me a pain in the hole the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The Totally football show is good but I do agree that it has slipped a bit - really enjoy Duncan Alexander on it, along Horncastle but Jimbo seems to be phoning it in a bit these days and it almost seems like his heart isnt in it anymore.

Then again he has had that role for 10+ years and it cant be easy to keep on coming up with content, etc

I find the Second Captains football shows to be really good and Ken usually to be excellent - also have a lot of time for Miguel Delaney and like the LOI guy (Snaid, I think) as he gives good insight into the League for someone like myself who knows very little about it.

The Guardian show is after slipping a bit since its peak but still isnt bad -Max can be very good or very annoying and while I do enjoy Barry sometimes, I kinda think they have typecast his persona a bit too much.

The OTB guys can be a bit hit & miss and they prob try to produce too many shows for the content that they have and thus the quality of all is diluted.
    That being said - Joe Molloy is an excellent presenter and I find Damien Delaney to be a very good contributor.

I wouldnt be a fan of Stephen Hunt and to be honest find his punditry to be very weak.

However all in all I think the standard of Irish football podcasts/punditry is quite high in terms of indigenous content and the existence of Irish pundits on UK shows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Started tuning in to Graham Hunter's podcast again and the interviews are actually quite good but what an absolutely insufferable, brown nosing, know-it-all, want to be part of the crowd, pseudo intellectual prick Hunter is. He grates on me to the point that I remember why I stopped listening. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and say maybe he has to be that way to get the quality interviews but his prickishness is so all-encompassing that I think it's just as simple as this; the man is a 24 karat prick.

I'm not a massive fan of Carragher but I've taken a listen to a couple of his and was pleasantly surprised. He gets really good interviews and lets people talk. Well worth a listen if you get the chance. The one with Merson was very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Started tuning in to Graham Hunter's podcast again and the interviews are actually quite good but what an absolutely insufferable, brown nosing, know-it-all, want to be part of the crowd, pseudo intellectual prick Hunter is. He grates on me to the point that I remember why I stopped listening. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and say maybe he has to be that way to get the quality interviews but his prickishness is so all-encompassing that I think it's just as simple as this; the man is a 24 karat prick.

"Pep, Xavi, Iniesta, Cruyff and Borsa"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

"Pep, Xavi, Iniesta, Cruyff and Borsa"

I really do want to punch the c**t. I've never heard anyone say a good word about him. How the f**k does he get away with his self important nonsense?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Guardian Football Weekly at its peak was excellent. Can't seem to enjoy Totally Football Show or post-Jimbo Football Weekly as much as I used to like that, though both are decent.

Yeah in its heyday Guardian football weekly was the pod to be listening to.

I just randomly google an episode from 5 years ago, I think back then the format was much more fluid, and they would spend time on the big stories.

One issue I have with the totally football show is that they will give a few mins to a segment, and then move on, and all european content is put in a separate pod. sometimes I'd like to hear 20 mins + on something like the Newcastle takeover, and sometimes I've no interest at all in 30 seconds on another PSG victory.

I think there's a saturation of football podcasts now, and we are a little bit spoilt, compared to 5 years ago where there was less options.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Man, I don't know how many different football podcasts I've listened to over the years. At one point they were pretty much the only thing I listened to. I've seriously cut back now, but there's still a few that I listen to.

Second Captains - Used to download the podcast of the football show when they were on newstalk. Still my number one really. It's not really only football, maybe about 50%, but I wouldn't cry if they just forgot talking about other sports altogether.

The Totally Football Show - I still give it a listen. Maybe it has got a bit flat in recent times, but I'm enjoying their football nostalgia episodes during this lockdown. The quality can vary depending on their guests. Some are great - James Horncastle, Michael Cox - some are terrible - Daniel Story (incredibly sour sounding fella) and that Spanish guy, Alvaro something, that they have on regularly whose accented English is like nails on a chalkboard. James Richardson is still as smooth as silk. The betting advertisements are a bit nauseating, but at least they are at the end and, as a result, are highly skippable.

Football Cliches - Only started listening to this recently. The topics are a bit more left field and about football and football culture generally, not so concerned with what happened at the weekend. A funny show, but informative too. The guests are quite good also.

Football Ramble Daily Greatest Games - I wouldn't usually listen to those pains from the football ramble, but this is a pretty good series of podcasts from them. Johnathan Wilson and Marcus, the least irritating of the FR bantz boys, talk to a journalist about some game that's important to them for whatever reason. Some great episodes: Ken Early about Liverpool v Blackburn 1995, Dion Fanning on Ireland v Holland.

That Peter Crouch Podcast - I occasionally listen to this, but it's nowhere near as good as it was when it started out. It used to be full of stories of the reality of being a Premier League football. Now you get a bit of that, but mainly the co-presenters loving the sound of their own voices. Still, occasionally, worth a listen depending on what or who they might be talking too, but they only scratch the surface with their discussions.

The Football Show on Off The Ball - I might listen to this if there's really nothing else. Dan McDonnell is pretty good and level headed, but I find the rest of them - I don't even know how many different identikit presenters there are, there seems to be at least a dozen - so bland to be offensive in their inoffensiveness; I genuinely can't tell them apart. I know Joe Molloy: he's slick, but doesn't hold a single opinion of his own. And I know Ger Gilroy: a royal pain in the arse, who thinks he's David Frost.

The Reducer - Some guys "reduce" stupid pieces of football kitsch, by taking the piss mercilessly. The episodes on Steve Bruce's novels are legendary. Though the boys are pretty pleased with themselves at all times, which can wear thin after a while.

BBC World Football Phone In - Informative and entertaining. Sometimes they give too much air time to regular callers, but, generally, it's quite good. And Tim Vickery knows his stuff.

CRAP I GAVE UP ON -

Football Weekly - No James Richardson, but now with extra added Barry Glenndinning? I'll pass thanks....

Football Ramble - Went to shyte years ago.

Just two quick ones on the above:

- As banterific as the Peter Crouch podcast is, they have had some good guest recently with Mike Dean, Andre Marriner, Kasper Schmeichel and Ben Foster. Ben Foster in particular was really interesting, talking about getting a bollocking from Fergie and how it affected him mentally. Crouchie also had a similar sobering story. It was quite serious stuff from an otherwise silly podcast.

- The football cliches podcast has adapted the best I think to the lockdown. Adam Hurrey is looking at one topic in particular per show and covers it well. Their season review of the 98/99 season (Premier League years) is worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MercuryBoy

The lockdown seems to have turned the Football Weekly crew into a bunch of insufferable schoolboys, calling each other by their surnames and quoting random things they said in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Worztron

• Football with John Giles (OTB's John Giles)
    • LOI Weekly (2017– )
    • OTB The Football Show / OTB Football (2016– )
    • RTÉ Soccer Podcast
    • The Football Faithful (2017– )

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement