Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a tent for 1000 euro

Options
  • 27-04-2020 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

We had a house booked for a week in wexford in june now we have it cancelled and got our deposit back fair play to them. So with the 1000 euro spared I am thinking of spashing it out on a good family tent. Don't know much about them and what I should be looking out for, could you get some type of dome type, TBH I haven't a clue any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

It depends on what your looking for and how many people\kids but these is a good range on the link below.

https://www.omearacamping.com/kampa-hayling-6-air-tent-2018-sh-used-once-ref007-11340-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Not great TBH might add another 5 k to that and see can I pick up a middling caravan. I see good looking enough ones on donedeal for 6 or 7 K. OH don't want to leave this island again and that suits me fine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Hope we get to a position where we can go campervaning/camping/caravaning soon :)

I think a caravan would keep the kids entertained if it's only parked in the back garden for the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Later in 2020 should be a good time to buy. When the covid payment is tapered out and people savings run out there will be lots of everything for sale.

€1000 tent is a €200 tent on adverts / donedeal after a couple of outings plus given the amount of people furloughed in the UK there will be blowout sales towards the end of the season over there.

All in all if you can hold off with all the peoples finances being squeezed we could be seeing a serious downward trend in prices on discretionary luxuries like boats, campers, caravans, motorbikes, musical instruments etc. as we did at the last crash.

• Advertisement

Later in 2020 should be a good time to buy. When the covid payment is tapered out and people savings run out there will be lots of everything for sale.

€1000 tent is a €200 tent on adverts / donedeal after a couple of outings plus given the amount of people furloughed in the UK there will be blowout sales towards the end of the season over there.

All in all if you can hold off with all the peoples finances being squeezed we could be seeing a serious downward trend in prices on discretionary luxuries like boats, campers, caravans, motorbikes, musical instruments etc. as we did at the last crash.
    There is already a bit of a squeeze on not many buyers around for caravans I am told. I am at the bottom of the market and have one located that's in great nick and has been in storage for a few years and negotiations are underway to secure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭kg703

I've had this tent for three years now and I'm at festivals every year and not a scratch on it:

https://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/173825-cortes-octagon-8-tent.html/228268/?istCompanyId=b238823a-59fd-4816-9c36-7dd47877f2a8&istFeedId=aa5d196e-d139-4a32-ae2c-1a1ed8e68bbd&istItemId=awtxxqrp&istBid=tztx&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy6T1BRDXARIsAIqCTXoxB6tA2XV9YT3Bmqk4_J240eDygDYPHrn-KBaBPhyszldwHphvMPcaAqrTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its super easy to set up and we have an inflatable double bed in there thats the height of a normal bed. You could always buy two for that price, one for the kids and one for the parents for some privacy!

Only one issue is that when its all packed up, even though it has wheels, its pretty heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

kerryjack wrote: »
    So with the 1000 euro spared I am thinking of spashing it out on a good family tent.

The first time I read the thread title, I thought it was a misprint. And again when I read that sentence! A thousand euro for a tent? :eek:

The last tent I bought - about five years ago - cost me 50€ secondhand. Three double bedrooms and a large central "stand-up-straight" living space. This is the only photo I have handy of it in use (by six adults). [For reference, that awning is about 2.5m high at the front, the camper is 3.2m high over the cab]

tent-and-camper.jpg

The thing to remember with a tent, though, is that the tent is only the start of it. You'll also need beds, tables, chairs, cooking facilities, cultery, crockery, pots&pans, some kind of coolbox or fridge, and storage for all your "stuff".

Growing up, my parents tried out hotel/B&B accommodation, camping, caravanning and motorhoming. None of us (parents or children-grown-up-to-be-adults) ever went back to the caravanning. My parents split their trips now between hotels and a motorhome. I'll opt for motorhome first, then tent or hotel depending on luggage allowance; and my siblings have all gone down the "holiday home" route, except when they use my camper or tent :pac:

Caravaning is not big in ireland is it because of the travelling community or the father ted episode or what like caravans are cheap IMO. Motor home would be the job but I would probably want to up my budget to 20 k which I don't have at the minute.

Advertisement