Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard tail or Full sus Trail Biking Dublin

Options
  • 01-06-2020 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi would like some feedback on which type of bike to get. Have about 1.5k to spend and not sure if should go for something like Vitus Mythique or similar priced hardtail. I m ke the pros and cons of each but which is best suited for Dublin and Wicklow trails. I expect to be cycling the odd time to the shops and then driving up to base of ticknoc etc. My brother lives in North Vancouver and says there are plenty of riders on HT and if it’s good enough for the north shore then it’s got to be good enough for here right?

Can’t spend anymore and would probably love an ebike but can’t afford that either!

Tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

As you have said yourself both have their pro's and con's, only you can decide on where you fall on the balance of each. You'll get around just fine on a HT on the Dublin and Wicklow trails. Modern geometry trail orientated HT's are a blast to ride on. I had a 2019 Vitus Nucleus for 6 months and it was absolutely fantastic - Djouce, Ticknock, GAP etc. I've a 2016 Kona Precept 150 at the moment and it's a totally different riding experience. FWIW I would absolutely go back to riding a HT again depending on the bike/deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

For trails (gravel, etc) neither.

For rough tracks and forests, etc, then a front sus is great if you can lock it out for road riding.

Full sus is for mountaineering imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    Have about 1.5k to spend ...<snip> ... I expect to be cycling the odd time to the shops and then driving up to ... <snip> ...

Don't go locking up a bike worth four figures outside a shop or thereabouts; it'll be first in line to attract the very unwanted attention of the local scrotes or worse, the committed and experienced bicycle thief. To dissuade all but the last category will require heavy duty locks (emphasis on the word 'heavy'); your garden variety £30 U lock that you have used since you were in school many moons ago will not do, and still wont stop the professional thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Good article here. At 1500 euro you are probably better going for a hardtail. However the vitus mythique full sus is a great option.

https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/best-mountain-bikes-under-1500-328367

Advertisement