Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid question from someone who's not a DIY person

• 01-06-2020 2:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm in abit of a bother a press in our kitchen one of the hinges came off (partner hit there head off it by mistake)

The hinge on the inside came completely out and took a small layer of wood with it.
    I've refilled it but obviously the screw holes are gone now.

I've attached a few pics to the post. I think the press holes are all pre drilled by machine equipment before buying them but I'm hoping for a quick fix.
    What's the best way of recreating these holes without causing more damage.the screws I have well there not screws there like plugs and they fit in the socket that expands in the wood when the stub is screwed into it. (I know I know what I'm saying probably makes no sense. It's why I've attached pictures)

https://ibb.co/TRRGmQM. The screw and plug I'm on about

https://ibb.co/MsHDBg2 What it should look like

https://ibb.co/tKFLNHv. The side of the press that I filled in.

Thanks in advance folks I know this is child's play stuff but I really don't want to right off the press altogether by messing up haha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

No stupid questions here, only stupid answers!

Its not clear from the pics, but if you can get at the outside of the press side, then try and get bolts the right size and once you make sure you have the hinge/door aligned properly drill through the carcass and fix the bolts.
    If you take off the good hinge, you can measure exactly where the holes should be drilled as they will all be the same, didtiace up from bottom of press and in from the outside edge of the press side.

Its all very doable, with patience and a bit of care.

You will need to level up that filling and have it 100% smooth to receive the hinge properly.
    What did you use to fill it?

there will be better ideas

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Bring the hinge to a hardware shop and ask for a replacement which uses ordinary screws, instead of those plugs, if the fillers you used won't hold the screws, you will have to move the hinge on the door, which would involve drilling a new hole in the door,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Another option is hinge repair plates, you just screw them on to the damaged side and fit the existing hinge back on. I'll try and find a link or two for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

No stupid questions here, only stupid answers!

Its not clear from the pics, but if you can get at the outside of the press side, then try and get bolts the right size and once you make sure you have the hinge/door aligned properly drill through the carcass and fix the bolts.
    If you take off the good hinge, you can measure exactly where the holes should be drilled as they will all be the same, didtiace up from bottom of press and in from the outside edge of the press side.

Its all very doable, with patience and a bit of care.

You will need to level up that filling and have it 100% smooth to receive the hinge properly.
    What did you use to fill it?

there will be better ideas

I don't want to drill threw the press (if thats what your saying), But i will be getting the size of the holes from the other side alright :)
    thing is they look perfect as if there machine drilled in so im not sure I can replicate this.

I also used
    "All Purpose Filler", It seems strong enough and I levelled it off smoothly about half an hour ago should be dried in now. Kinda regret not using wood filler (didnt know it existed until after I filled it in haha)
    Bring the hinge to a hardware shop and ask for a replacement which uses ordinary screws, instead of those plugs, if the fillers you used won't hold the screws, you will have to move the hinge on the door, which would involve drilling a new hole in the door,

I don't think ordinary screw will hold it in place as the cabinet is quite thing I'd need a pretty long screw to hold it in place wouldnt I? I could be wrong but I'll certainlly be looking into it. Gonna head to B&Q in the next hour.
    Leftyflip wrote: »
    Another option is hinge repair plates, you just screw them on to the damaged side and fit the existing hinge back on. I'll try and find a link or two for you!

Cheers mate, Il be going B&Q shortly so I'll probably just grab a new hinge with screws as well as a repair plate.
    Gives me a few options I don't think there expensive anyway.

Worse comes to worse I'll have to just put the hinge on a couple of cm above the damaged area so that means creating a new hole on the door above the old hole.

cheers for all the suggestions lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

2 pac wood filler. It can be screwed, nailed or drilled once dry

• Advertisement
Advertisement