Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North Quays

• 11-01-2008 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

The site at the North Quays was sold during the boom. Now we're hitting turbulence in the world and Irish economies. Could this spell trouble for the development?

And does anyone know when that stupid right-of-way case is due to be decided? It seems as if we have to wait months and months for these legal hoops to be jumped through! As if it wasn't enough that An Bord Leisciúil have today put off their decision on the Newgate Centre for another month!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

fricatus wrote: »
    The site at the North Quays was sold during the boom. Now we're hitting turbulence in the world and Irish economies. Could this spell trouble for the development?

And does anyone know when that stupid right-of-way case is due to be decided? It seems as if we have to wait months and months for these legal hoops to be jumped through! As if it wasn't enough that An Bord Leisciúil have today put off their decision on the Newgate Centre for another month!

In my opinion it is down to Cullen to get his hands dirty and sort this out. He has dropped the ball badly. Even Galway is starting to plan a docklands redevelopment now and they would have a lot less industrial land to rejuvenate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

It's at times like this I wish we had a cute hooor in power from the Waterford area to get things done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I don't know if you've heard but a there is a similar situation preventing the RPA starting one of the new luas lines. CIE won't allow surveyors access part of the line the crosses their land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Personally, I think it is the Port of Waterford Company is to blame. They are being totally unreasonable trying to dictate the times that trains can pass on the level crossing. My house is affected by a right of way, I could never tell the neighbours what time to go in and out with the wheelie bins. To try to attach conditions to a right of way affecting a public transport company was always going to end in court. The port company should have received better legal advice than they did.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The Irish Times reports today that the dispute has been settled. Happy days :D

Maybe the site can now be sold and a start made on developing it. It just has to be done for 2011. Imagine how good the Tall Ships race will be if that area is a fully-functional waterfront area with apartments and so on as its backdrop? Sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

fricatus wrote: »
    The Irish Times reports today that the dispute has been settled. Happy days :D

As is the lead story in this weeks munster express. About bloody time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is no chance of the development being built in 30 months.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

before they build anything they have to figure out how to take down the old mill buildings safely without bits falling into yhe river, this will take a while as the place is riddled with asbestos and the work will have to be done by hand. 2015 is a decent target imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What they will have to do on the North Quays for the TSR is what the townfolk did in Blazing Saddles.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

great to read of soon demolition happening on north quays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Max Powers wrote: »

Where did you read this Max? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep good news unless you are a fan of re-enforced concrete structures. A pity the Ard Ri will still stand above the cleared site though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

Im happy that the Ard Ri Hotel is not part of this demolition project,there is still a chance that we can get back a landmark hotel with amazing views of the city over the next few years. I hope the council really make the North Quays something to be proud of with a retail,office and leisure offering.Irelands tallest building would be perfect for this site!

There is no chance of that box being fit for anything other than a ball and chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Great to see it go, wonder where all the rats will move to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Would part of the demolition spec involve what to do with any infestation (rat, pigeon) or do they just knock these things and hope for the best? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

They are suppose to be starting the demolition in the next few weeks,some rats scattering out of that place.anyone have information what's there plans after they demolish this eye sore?

jimbo1979 wrote: »
    They are suppose to be starting the demolition in the next few weeks,some rats scattering out of that place.anyone have information what's there plans after they demolish this eye sore?

If Waterford were Galway we'd get a massive tax write off which would encourage development in the fashion of say a "hub" of some sort - small tech businesses that link with the IT but as we're Waterford we'll get no assistance at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

If Waterford were Galway we'd get a massive tax write off which would encourage development in the fashion of say a "hub" of some sort - small tech businesses that link with the IT but as we're Waterford we'll get no assistance at all.

We're not looking for small Harry but I like your thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

jimbo1979 wrote: »

Probably no funds for any grand plans. Something like a running or cycling track with a green area could be a good option in the short term that may not be too costly

Correct me if im wrong but isnt there one building there that has a preservation order on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Shane07 wrote: »
    Im happy that the Ard Ri Hotel is not part of this demolition project,there is still a chance that we can get back a landmark hotel with amazing views of the city over the next few years. I hope the council really make the North Quays something to be proud of with a retail,office and leisure offering.Irelands tallest building would be perfect for this site!

If there was a new hotel to go up there the first thing they would do is demoish the one that's there now.

Who is saying they would get planning permission for a 6 storey building on that height of a site again this is Ireland after all!,the current building could be incorporated into whatever will be built on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think maybe a large sculptural cross or statue in place of the ard ri. Like Rio de Janeiro. *Makes hasty exit*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Who is saying they would get planning permission for a 6 storey building on that height of a site again this is Ireland after all!,the current building could be incorporated into whatever will be built on the site.

The current building is a monstrosity. It deserves to be torn down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

This action is being taken by the Receivers and NAMA on foot of a dereliction notice by Waterford Council, the hold up at the moment is they need to apply for a waste licence to store the crushed concrete that will result from the demolition.
    This will take a minimum of six weeks to happen , demolition will start sometime after that date.
    The above are the facts, the only thing on the wharf when they finish will be a large pile of crushed concrete.

Don't read anything else into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

looksee wrote: »
    I think maybe a large sculptural cross or statue in place of the ard ri. Like Rio de Janeiro. *Makes hasty exit*

Couldn't you just imagine the outcry, the angst against some religious symbol

being perpetrated upon the citizens of Waterford.

A good idea though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I think this site has limited scope without a bridge/footbridge. That won't happen for some time. In the meantime, when it's leveled and cleared, something with a strong vertical element would be best.

Tree planting would be great, but they take too long. By the time they've matured something else will be developed.

So my suggestion is a large (massive!) flag of the tricolour on a an elevated podium surrounded by smaller flags along the North Quay, in an attactvely landscaped setting.
    • it has a strong vertical element
    • it's windy!
    • references Meagher
    • is cheap
    • low maintenance
    • doesn't require patronage to make it work (no footbridge remember!)

• Advertisement

I think the 5 cruise ships that were docked there last year was a sign as to the direction the North Quays should take. At least part of it anyway. I think the docks from the bridge to the old mill that is going to be demolished should be given to the city council by NAMA (I presume it is in NAMA). It should then be turned into a public space with a foot bridge to the Clock Tower. Even if some buildings were built there later at least it would start to integrate the North Quays with the city centre. It would also be less of a risk for developers to build on the remainder of the North Quays as they would be adding to an area already in use as opposed to building on a site that is cut off from the city centre as it is now. Personally I think the millions that has been spent on these BS green routes around the city would have been better spent on a project like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How about a spire shaped thing that just happens to be a metre taller than any other spires in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

How about a Drive in Cinema?
    Something like they have in Cork: http://www.moviejunction.ie/guide.html

Easy to setup, plenty of space and would not require millions!

Start with that and then build other entertainment type facilities around it!

A permanent fireworks display - big bangs every Saturday night. A live music venue, beats the Bolton Street carpark albeit almost everyone has to cross the bridge to get there. Sure there's a million few things that could be done on that space at very little cost until someone comes up with a long term solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Move Walsh Park over there and build a decent stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

shockwave wrote: »

Was thinking this myself. Imagine a decent stadium with the potential to hold decent size concerts. The amount of money spent on match days in other counties is enormous. We are losing out by not having a stadium in this regard.

• Advertisement

shockwave wrote: »

I agree with you but imagine the uproar that would cause in the county board’s Dungarvan faction.:(

i think the cruise ship and some other stuff is about the best and most realistic hope for the north quays for forseeable future. Pie in the sky dreams of high rise, stadiums, drive in cinemas etc is just dreams and completely unrealistic. While some of these things would be amazing, lets keep it a bit realistic and sensible...consider who would fill this stadium, who would pay for this or high rise buildings, drive in cinema in etc.

i think the cruise ship and some other stuff is about the best and most realistic hope for the north quays for forseeable future. Pie in the sky dreams of high rise, stadiums, drive in cinemas etc is just dreams and completely unrealistic. While some of these things would be amazing, lets keep it a bit realistic and sensible...consider who would fill this stadium, who would pay for this or high rise buildings, drive in cinema in etc.

The stadium would be filled by GAA fans. If we manage to get a stadium a stadium capable of holding Munster Quarter/Semi finals it would be some cash cow in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Cruise Terminal would be great at attracting more cruise ships - we have 33 in last year - potential for a lot more with the attraction of Waterford Crystal & Viking Triangle - maybe a few dept from WIT to create footfall to the city centre - or a bus from north quays to city centre - to college st and WIT main Campus

This could become the biggest urban renewel project in the country after the Dublin docklands and we need to demand our city council and TDs be ambitious in delivering a new urban quarter for the city,there is no reason for there not to be high rises,cruise docking,stadium of some sort and new riverside walkway with restuarants and bars! Look at Limericks 2030 plan new pedestrian bridge new city park I know Minister Nonan is the force behind it but Waterford needs to demand the best for this site and settle for nothing less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

This could become the biggest urban renewel project in the country after the Dublin docklands and we need to demand our city council and TDs be ambitious in delivering a new urban quarter for the city,there is no reason for there not to be high rises,cruise docking,stadium of some sort and new riverside walkway with restuarants and bars! Look at Limericks 2030 plan new pedestrian bridge new city park I know Minister Nonan is the force behind it but Waterford needs to demand the best for this site and settle for nothing less!

I think people don't seem to understand the fact that we don't have any money.

That's why I talked about a tax relief scheme, attract private moolah.

Talk of a GAA stadium seems rather crazy given the nature of the site. Even if the Bus Eireann yard is included you'd have a job fitting one in with the appropriate support infrastructure and access to such a venue. It would also look as ugly as sin dominating the whole view northwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

add 20% to the property tax... and we will have enough money....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That's why I talked about a tax relief scheme, attract private moolah.

Talk of a GAA stadium seems rather crazy given the nature of the site. Even if the Bus Eireann yard is included you'd have a job fitting one in with the appropriate support infrastructure and access to such a venue. It would also look as ugly as sin dominating the whole view northwards.

The site is no where near big enough for a GAA Stadium and is completely unsuitable for that sort of infrastructure, I'd agree that the stadium would also be as bad of an eye sore as the silo's from the city side.

Another thing that could be done if a footbridge was built around the clock tower is access to the train station could also be improved. It would not be a big job to put a new entrance at the lower end of the train station.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BBM77 wrote: »
    Another thing that could be done if a footbridge was built around the clock tower is access to the train station could also be improved. It would not be a big job to put a new entrance at the lower end of the train station.

A footbridge with duel footpath and cycle road on it into the city from Ferrybank would be of benefit to the people in Ferrybank getting into the city. It would also cut about 3-4km of a walk into the city

That location would be an issue if the north Wharf was designated for cruise traffic, it would need to be further down river at the Tower I'd say to be viable I think.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=waterford+North+Wharf+area&newwindow=1&safe=off&client=opera&channel=suggest&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=E-O_VJqgAqi07gaN9oAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AU&output=classic&dg=brw

Cabaal wrote: »
    A footbridge with duel footpath and cycle road on it into the city from Ferrybank would be of benefit to the people in Ferrybank getting into the city. It would also cut about 3-4km of a walk into the city

Surely this would the quickest and easiest way to increase footfall in the City. It's very cut off and would probably free up a few parking spaces in town if people could actually walk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Relocate the station there (out of the floods) with retail and office space above, integrated with relocated bus station, footbridge to town, big statue of ow do....

We can but dream!

i think most of us agree that a footbridge is essential to something happening over there, to connect it to city, for F-bank, for developers to be interested etc. That should probably be priority 1 for council, nobody (maybe those on the north side) would use a public area over there unless its easily accessible from city side.
    Unfortunately, i dont think the council has the money, i dont see private enterprise jumping to get in there, money from central govt would be difficult in current circumstances, i dont see local politicians doing the unpopular and maybe raising LPT 5% to fund it over a number of years, i dont see the people of Waterford willing to pay extra for something like that...many difficulties

• Advertisement
Advertisement