Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

genzyme

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    a company like Genzyme will survival if they shut for christmas day. these companies have some cheek asking hard working employees to be working such a day. employees well being is more important than profits.

It's nothing to do with profits. They make life savings drugs for people that would die without them. Stopping production even for a day puts lives at risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

I work in Genzyme and whilst there are 4 shifts that 1 is scheduled to be on over xmas its highly unlikely you will have to work on Christmas day, they usually shut down for the day. You might not even be put on shift in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

O Riain wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with profits. They make life savings drugs for people that would die without them. Stopping production even for a day puts lives at risk.

You jest!

The reason for the existence of a company is to make profit.

All actions of every company relate to this aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

O Riain wrote: »

corporation propaganda truly does work! id be worried if the emergency services or hospital staff etc stopped working for a day, but a large pharmaceutical company! the mind boggles.

hope it works out for you lou. i hear theyre both good and not so good to work for so i guess you ll have to see for yourself. best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 15 resistancegav

corporation propaganda truly does work! id be worried if the emergency services or hospital staff etc stopped working for a day, but a large pharmaceutical company! the mind boggles.

hope it works out for you lou. i hear theyre both good and not so good to work for so i guess you ll have to see for yourself. best of luck with it

I'll try my best to unboggle your mind hard as it may be. Genzyme make a couple of life saving rare disease drugs which are grown in bioreactors. Unfortunately the cells don't know it's Christmas when they are fully grown and needs to be gotten to patients ASAP. It's far from greed. And shock horror company's make profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'll try my best to unboggle your mind hard as it may be. Genzyme make a couple of life saving rare disease drugs which are grown in bioreactors. Unfortunately the cells don't know it's Christmas when they are fully grown and needs to be gotten to patients ASAP. It's far from greed. And shock horror company's make profits.

This is correct. If I recall correctly from my time there they make a renal drug to help transplant patient bodies accept the new organ. Hugely in demand and supply can't keep up. Was only in their as an external person so no idea what it's like to work for them

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

do some research before posting this sort of nonsense. These drugs take months to manufacture, and every step of the process has very defined timeframes when certain activities need to be performed. these windows cannot always be predicted, as they depend on cells, which dont care when Christmas falls.
    If any of these windows are missed, the entire batch needs to be dumped, causing millions of profits to go down the sink, but also it means product shortages for patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

I used to work for Guinness and they brewed christmas day. Guys were fighting to work that day believe it or not. The OT was unbelievable.

Apparently genzyme is a great place to work, personally if i wanted to work there id work when ever they ask.

PS: i think Wanderer78 is a troll. posts crap on every topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

It's not all about the money - patient supply comes first. In saying that every effort is made to accommodate people over the Christmas period and for somebody who's newly trained, and who lives so far away from home - it's a pretty safe bet you won't have to work. There are plenty of people living more locally who can drop in for an hour or two here and there if it's absolutely necessary.

ah here, im not arsed responding to people directly:

http://itsourmoney.podbean.com/e/it%E2%80%99s-our-money-with-ellen-brown-%E2%80%93-it%E2%80%99s-nature%E2%80%99s-way-of-telling-you-%E2%80%93-091615/

id highly recommend ellen browns work. she has plenty of medical stuff out there. enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

ah here, im not arsed responding to people directly:

http://itsourmoney.podbean.com/e/it%E2%80%99s-our-money-with-ellen-brown-%E2%80%93-it%E2%80%99s-nature%E2%80%99s-way-of-telling-you-%E2%80%93-091615/

id highly recommend ellen browns work. she has plenty of medical stuff out there. enjoy.

You have no idea what kind of drugs they make do you. They're not up there brewing batches of calpol boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I have heard it's quite hard to get into Genzyme unless you know a good few people in there plus are a very sociable company so if you are not like that apparently don't even bother applying, eirgen might be more your thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

I have heard it's quite hard to get into Genzyme unless you know a good few people in there plus are a very sociable company so if you are not like that apparently don't even bother applying, eirgen might be more your thing!

eirgen= former genzyme staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

It does have its fair share of nepotism alright but it really depends on the hiring manager. As for sociable, not anymore sociable than any other place I've ever worked in anyway.

As for the Christmas Day thing, they always closed when I worked there for the day, it's a fill finish plant so it's basically putting tablets in bottles, they stockpile the stuff and can afford to take a day off. If they do have the Christmas Day shift running, if you really don't wanna work it you won't be forced, there's plenty of others that will take up the over because of overtime.

I do have one warning though, be extremely clear on what the job is and what you will be doing there if you get an interview.

A girl I know who did a summer stint in Genzyme said that bullying is absolutely rife in there with loads of little mini Hitler middle management who love to throw their weight around and pick on staff knowing that no Union means little protection. Sad if it is true

A girl I know who did a summer stint in Genzyme said that bullying is absolutely rife in there with loads of little mini Hitler middle management who love to throw their weight around and pick on staff knowing that no Union means little protection. Sad if it is true

Pretty accurate

Do you work there currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Sorry having no union does not mean little protection....

Do you work there currently?

Nah, couple of years ago. Could be different now. Also it differs greatly from dept to dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

As happens in most companies so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

kensutz wrote: »
    Because of no unions it's negotiable.

must be a dream to not have a union up there

AMGer wrote: »
    must be a dream to not have a union up there

even though i understand the frustration that you can experience with working under a union, id rather have the backing of one. non unionised workplaces are open to abuse and exploitation by everybody really but mainly by employers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

even though i understand the frustration that you can experience with working under a union, id rather have the backing of one. non unionised workplaces are open to abuse and exploitation by everybody really but mainly by employers.

Nurture rather then nature I would hazard.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Nurture rather then nature I would hazard.

unfortunately some employers simply just dont care about their employees. interesting documentary on bbc last night about ford. interesting to see the importance of unions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA4GhujV0gk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Although unions MAY be of help in some workplaces, employees are protected by a massive amount of labour law and this applies whether your in a union or not.

The Workplace Relations site - https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/ can give you a vast amount of information and can act as an advocate on your behalf, should an employee need it.
    NERA work in conjunction here and can process any compliants NERA (National Employment Rights Authority).

Bullying is a subjective thing, in other words its how you felt and not how everyone would think that matters. If you feel bullied by someones actions, words, deeds, etc then you its likely you have a case and your employers should be made aware of it. NERA can help people with these kinds of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

ooh believe me unions are important, the company i work for was gonna relocate us to kilkenny and didn't give a fcuk about us until our union stepped in and put a stop to it, so yeah unions do help

Advertisement