Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality Institute creating awareness on "non-binary & male" menstruation

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Gynoid wrote: »
    Oh, thats interesting. Didnt know that. I read that book on the Chan sites by Angela Nagle, they are a very interesting phenomenon. I do think some of the utter madness accompanying this identitarian movement is transgressive kids sh1t stirring. And no matter how mad anything is you have a portion of people who row in to its defense. Which is odd.

4chan became highly nihilistic during the mid-2010s when it became clear that SJWs were actually winning the brewing culture war and succeeding in injecting their repressive agenda into mainstream society. They essentially morphed from trying to fight it and fix it, to taking a scorched earth "burn it all down, it's beyond saving" approach to society. That's why they appear, to the outside observer, to have very radically shifted from being largely left wing in the 2000s and early 2010s to extremely right wing since 2014 or thereabouts.

They opposed regressive identity politics from the start, but they now genuinely believe in a sort of accelerationist, nihilistic outlook of "chaos is our friend". A lot of them supported Trump, Brexit etc not because they thought they were good political decisions, but because they believe that the only way to undo the identity politics paradigm we've entered is to bring the entire status quo of Western politics chaotically crashing down and rebuilding it from the ashes. It's very widely believed in the media that they genuinely support such people and ideas, and a lot of them do, but from my own interactions with them there's a far bigger cohort who are thinking more along the lines of the biblical concept of a Great Flood to wipe the slate clean. Trump would obliterate a large chunk of the American status quo and America's foreign influence, Brexit would do the same in Europe. As they view the entrenched status quo in the West as completely unpalatable, the idea of someone just smashing it to pieces with a sledgehammer became very appealing, with the possibility that the void left behind could be filled with something less unpalatable.

The social experiments and pranks they play on the media are basically part of that, they're trying to showcase how f*cked everything is in their eyes in response to the question of "why do you favour chaos".

I obviously don't support what they're doing, but I do sympathise hugely with a lot of the motivations behind it. Identity politics, cancel culture, censorship, culturally enforced limitations on artistic freedom, political sacred cows which nobody is allowed to talk about without being punished for doing so, these things are the result of the identity politics mob (AKA "The Twitterati") being given far too much unchecked influence in society, and while I don't believe in burning everything down to get rid of them, I do understand why so many people are so frustrated and fed up that they would view this as a good option to choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

^^^I noticed some of those sentiments building about a decade ago online. In fringe places. The bewildering attraction to a "cleansing" chaos. I thought it was / is a symptom of depression and powerlessness. I can understand its origins, because there is a lot of powerlessness in an increasingly globalised technocracy but I find the urge towards obliterating chaos to be deeply childish and symptomatic of historical ignorance. And yet I see traces of it on all sides now. It may be subtle. Also apathy is another way to embrace chaos. Passively. Moral relativism is chaotic apathy ( in my opinion).

In the places I interacted with people online in the past I observed many fairly conservative people with poorly understood occultic influences and this recurring religious desire for Ordo Ab Chao. A leaning towards a fundamentalist Christianity, some Islam, occasional Eastern netaphysics, in general poorly understood, but all strongly influenced by Gnosticism.
    Personally I think the movie The Matrix was a huge game changer in fringe culture and this has seeped out. Must admit I was very lukewarm in my appreciation of it.
    Its complicated. This whole area. The culture wars. The weirdness. An entangled web.

Advertisement