Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Router setup

Options
  • 25-10-2019 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Please move to different forum if not in the right place.

I have a basic home broadband setup
    Router and a couple of TP-link extenders.

Original set up
    Based in my home office.
    DSL cable into back of wireless router
    ethernet cable into main extender
    ethernet cable into laptop

no issues with this set up - main house is about 50-60 feet from office so was able to connect the TV to the second extender which was 30-40 feet from the main extender

I had a power outage in the office so moved everything to a second access point in the sitting room, basically same setup as above. everything worked well

I have now moved everything back to the office, exact same set up as before but now there is no internet connection - router is plugging into the same DSL access port as before, I am able to connect to router but no internet.

I've no idea why I would have lost internet access at the point that was previous working with zero problems.

any ideas - would eircom have to reactive anything (i doubt that should be the case for a simple in- house move)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

1. Does your router(model?) still work in the house?
    2. What way you have extended ISP line to the office?
    3. Does router indicate DSL connection in the office(usually green LED)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Yeah I have moved the router back to the sitting room and its working no problem.

When back in the office the router is plugged in but no DSL or Internet light appears where this previously worked no problem

Yeah I have moved the router back to the sitting room and its working no problem.

When back in the office the router is plugged in but no DSL or Internet light appears where this previously worked no problem

Q #2?

Something changed/happened to that link. Multi-meter/network tester.

Not sure what you mean by Q2 to be honest.
    The DSL / Phone cable is plugged directly into the wall socket - which has two output options - Data and Phone.

I have The same type of wall socket in the sitting room - phone cable plugged into the Data connection

The only thing I changed was moving the Eircom router from the office to the sitting room (which worked) but when moving back to the office - nothing.

Question number two:)

• Advertisement

What way you have extended ISP line to the office?

I don't know what you mean by this Q. The lines were all in the house when I bought it

What way you have extended ISP line to the office?

I don't know what you mean by this Q. The lines were all in the house when I bought it
    You don't know...fine
    Do you have two independent connections to you property - one to the house, another to your office?

If yes = office link not working = call your ISP to check/confirm.

If no = office is just extension from the house and is not working = call electrician to test/repair.

As you correctly assumed, once connection to your premises(wall socket) is confirmed working by ISP, its just plug&play, unless other factors introduced on premises:
    ISP line extended and there is fault
    human error
    other
    So far you confirmed that is not equipment fault - router is working, you able to access it.

Advertisement