Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the least stressful job in the world?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Fireman in Antartica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Guy that rolls the films in the cinema, sounds alright to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Security guard in a a college library - tell some students to "ssshh" every once in a while if they're talking a bit too loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

People in general seem to be the main cause of stress for me. I generally dislike having to work or talk with other people at all and it stresses the hell out of me even if I'm performing well and not having customers giving out to me.
    I'd love to be a truck driver. It would be much lower pay but I'd be on my own for days, not having to deal with other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭md23040

D1stant wrote: »
    Fireman in Antartica

True for the many fireman in the South America capital of La Paz. As the highest capital city above sea (2 miles), fires are fairly non existant due to insufficient oxygen levels to maintain combustion.

Also, an old neighbour of mine is an air traffic controller for Sligo airport eventhough the last and only commercial service to Dublin stopped mid 2011. Same pay as anyother ACT in Ireland with earning of up to €75,000 per year.

http://www.sligoairport.com/Sligo-Airport-ContactUs.html

Human Resources

Rejecting people applying to work for you and lecturing the ones who already do, with multiple coffee breaks in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Lollipop Lady. Or man lollipop Lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Stephen P wrote: »
    Very stressful these days having to deal with youths throwing rocks at your jeep and giving abuse.

we used to drink and smoke dope in our local park as teenagers and the park ranger would often join us for a drink and smoke whilst on his rounds,none of us littered,and all the football teams that used the pitches would present him with bottles of spirits every Christmas he was and probably still is one of the happiest people I've ever known

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I always think a toll booth operaterative would have a fairly stress free job. Stick you hand out for money every 30seconds or so, maybe give a little change. How stressful could that be?

I think the sheer boredom could be a source of stress in itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

A librarian in a university library. Milling around all day doing feck all as most visitors use the self-service checkouts or access periodicals online. Let out an occasional shush and put a colour-coded book back on a shelf. A rhesus monkey could be trained to carry out most of these tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Whoever said Toll Both Operator is spot on.

That and the lad who is the starter on the first tee on the prestigious golf courses in Scotland...........great job to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Whoever thinks up the crap programmes they show on MTV. Just think of a preexisting programme and give the new programme a similarly named 'joke' title. "What sounds like Jersey Shore? I know! Geordie Shore". "Let's remake The Hills and set it in Wales. We can call it The Valleys".

Working in Fender Guitars Custom Shop. They make 'relic' guitars and actually pay people to scrape the paint off or to hit the guitars with objects to make them look old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The Wallet Inspector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭geckovision

Open to correction, but I've always imagined a mechanic is very low stress job.

You're obviously into cars. You can work on them all day and listen to music and get a buzz of fixing something. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I was an assistant panda keeper for a few weeks last summer. That was stress free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Post man in a place with decent weather, I'd reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

My mate has a great talent to spot the easiest job in his public service place in Germany and then go for it. He currently works as a gatekeeper for one of the yards in Berlin Water.

He sits in his comfy little cabin and is responsible for the driveway which is equipped with an electrically controlled barrier for each lane. So if he recognises they guys and/or the vehicle he just presses the button which is about 99% of the time. If he doesn't he calls them in to ask them where they're going and issues a visitor's pass.

He also does nightshifts for which he has both a Sky box and a PS3 in there.

Oh and he's on a full qualified technicians pay cos that's what his previous job in there was and is fully pensionable and all the other stuff that comes with a lifetime PS job.

Wouldn't be for me, I'd die of boredom, but he loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Samphire

Restaurant Critic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'd say Fund Manager.

Once you're established, you proverbially throw darts at stocks, historically fail to beat the benchmark index, rake in exorbitant transaction fees and mill around your office excitedly awaiting the arrival of you new Jaguar.

Fund Managers are like used car salesmen.

They have to constantly convince strangers they know what they are doing and that they'll manage the money better than anyone else. At least, fund managers who deal with external clients (afaik - that's the majority of them). If they aren't bringing in clients, they'll be feeling a lot of stress. Ones that don't deal with clients have to convince their bosses they can manage the fund better than everyone else, and it's much harder because their bosses live and breathe finance.

The financial industry is known for being relatively high stress across the board, but fund managers are specifically known for having a high stress job.

http://www.investopedia.com/university/financial-careers/financial-careers9.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

one mans stress is another mans walk in the park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

any job you enjoy doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Tour guide in Graceland.Basically you are living in Elvis' house for 40hrs a week.How cool is that?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

Public reps "looking in to it" for somebody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

County council workers, hardest part of the day is finding a nice shovel to lean on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I always think a toll booth operaterative would have a fairly stress free job. Stick you hand out for money every 30seconds or so, maybe give a little change. How stressful could that be?
    I was just about to post this. Great job but boring I'm sure.

Signalman at a local railway station (in the UK) after Beeching got the station reduced from a major junction to a single track terminus.
    Six trains a day, all he had to do was control two signals, one to let the train in and one to let it out!

Advertisement