Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carers allowance

• 01-06-2019 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if carers can be transferred between spouses.

We have a child who is disabled and I am his carer. Husband works full time.

I have a job interview coming up and the salary is more than what husband will get

It makes sense for me to take it and husband to become full time carer.

Can it be transferred to him or will we have to go through the 6 month wait again with a new application

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Does anyone know if carers can be transferred between spouses.

We have a child who is disabled and I am his carer. Husband works full time.

I have a job interview coming up and the salary is more than what husband will get

It makes sense for me to take it and husband to become full time carer.

Can it be transferred to him or will we have to go through the 6 month wait again with a new application

He’ll have to make a new full application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

That's annoying. The waiting times are crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes they are crazy totally agree,

can't understand why they can't employ more staff up there....the jsa takes no more than a fortnight so why not the carers allowance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

carer's allowance applications are much more complex than jsa.

I can't understand why it cannot be transferred between spouses.

It is based on household income so it was assessed on household income.

I get paid the DCA too. Will that have to be cancelled and reapplied for also

• Advertisement

I can't understand why it cannot be transferred between spouses.

It is based on household income so it was assessed on household income.

I get paid the DCA too. Will that have to be cancelled and reapplied for also

It’s a whole change of circumstances. You’re husband was working and now he’s going to be giving up work. You weren’t working, now you’re going to be working and the whole financial situation in your house is going to totally change. I know it’s very frustrating for you but I don’t think you’ll have to wait too long for your application to be processed and I hope you get sorted out soon.

Honestly it's going to leave us in a dire financial position for the length of time the application will take for him.

I don't know what we are going to do

Honestly it's going to leave us in a dire financial position for the length of time the application will take for him.

I don't know what we are going to do

If you will be financially below the SWA limit then you can go to the CWO about a top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gct

If You return to work your husband can apply for carer's benefit once he has enough prsi contributions. No means test and slightly less waiting time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

If he's giving up work then he may qualify for Carers Benefit which isn't means tested and is quicker to process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maggie Benson

Have received an increase in my SW pension as I had to resign
    on marriage and was 18 years out of the workforce to rear my children.
    I am wondering if I am now entitled to dental and other benefits. I worked mainly in the public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

*QUERY*

How strict are they about the 15 hrs per week work limit?

Coming up to christmas ive been asked to do more hours...would they know through my PRSI?

frosty123 wrote: »
    *QUERY*

Coming up to christmas ive been asked to do more hours...would they know through my PRSI?

They’re very strict. After the New Year it’s going up to 18 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

frosty123 wrote: »
    *QUERY*

Just follow the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

I've a quick question about Carers allowance. Up until recently I was my mother's carer until she passed away. I received a letter from the carers dept during the week saying payments will continue for 12 weeks which would bring it into January. My question is, if I don't find a job between now and then do I start a whole new claim or would it go to jobseekers automatically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

markc1184 wrote: »
    I've a quick question about Carers allowance. Up until recently I was my mother's carer until she passed away. I received a letter from the carers dept during the week saying payments will continue for 12 weeks which would bring it into January. My question is, if I don't find a job between now and then do I start a whole new claim or would it go to jobseekers automatically?

You need to start a new claim. DEASP had you in the carer's allowance box and you need to kickstart the process for them to move you into the Jobseeker's Box.

You’ll make a claim for Jobseeker’s Allowance. Don’t forget there’s a different means test for it. Sorry about your mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

Sorry to hear about your mom passing hopefully the transition between Carers and JS wasn't too much hassle. Things shouldn't be so complicated hopefully you got looked after.

Advertisement