Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet boost

Options
  • 01-08-2019 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

My modem is downstairs beside the TV and plugged in, it is a standard 4 port Siro off Vodafone.

I have poor WiFi upstairs and I am also looking to get wired connections up there. Is there a way or device that I could take a single Cat 6 from my modem and use it like an extension lead abd bring it into a sub-modem in a bedroom or attic which would then give me both wired connections and a WiFi boost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Hannibal wrote: »
    My modem is downstairs beside the TV and plugged in, it is a standard 4 port Siro off Vodafone.

I have poor WiFi upstairs and I am also looking to get wired connections up there. Is there a way or device that I could take a single Cat 6 from my modem and use it like an extension lead abd bring it into a sub-modem in a bedroom or attic which would then give me both wired connections and a WiFi boost?

Power line ethernet adaptors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Power line ethernet adaptors
    The sockets would be on two separate circuits though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If you mean two separate circuits fed off the same fuse board they will probably work. If you mean two different fuse boards you might be in trouble.

For example in my house I can connect them to the garage and that's a totally different circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Is there any way that you can run an actual CAT 6 cable upstairs and connect it to the other router (sub-modem)? It is going to be way faster than home plugs or using wifi boosters.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Is there any way that you can run an actual CAT 6 cable upstairs and connect it to the other router (sub-modem)? It is going to be way faster than home plugs or using wifi boosters.
    Yes my intention is to run an actual cat 6 upstairs and from that I ideally would like to generate both wifi and a wired connection.
    I have seen sub modems, poe network switches but I don't know much about which product to get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Yes my intention is to run an actual cat 6 upstairs and from that I ideally would like to generate both wifi and a wired connection.
    I have seen sub modems, poe network switches but I don't know much about which product to get
    Run CAT and you can:
    1. introduce 5/8 port switch so would have wired connections + can install dedicated AP
    or
    2. install second consumer grade router that will give you wired and wireless all in one (set static IP, disable DHCP, configure same SSID/password on this router).

Run CAT and you can:
    1. introduce 5/8 port switch so would have wired connections + can install dedicated AP
    or
    2. install second consumer grade router that will give you wired and wireless all in one (set static IP, disable DHCP, configure same SSID/password on this router).
    Is a 5/8 port as simple as plugging a Cat 6 supply into it and running ethernet cables from it into devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Is a 5/8 port as simple as plugging a Cat 6 supply into it and running ethernet cables from it into devices?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

What you call a 'sub-modem' is called a 'network switch'. you can buy one in Argos for 21€ if I remember correctly.

You want to avoid using wireless if you have the option not to. It's a bottleneck, it's unreliable.

The lazy way to do this is to get a TP-Link powerline extender. The receiver box is also a Wireless AP.

The correct way is to run Cat. 6 cable to every device possible. If you're going from floor to floor you want to have a switch on each.

Modem -> Floor 1 switch -> Basement switch

You can daisy-chain switches.

Where you want to have strong wireless plug an AP into the switch.

You can buy an AP and switch in one box like Netgear WN604. So you can have one of these white boxes on each floor/area.

• Advertisement

What you call a 'sub-modem' is called a 'network switch'. you can buy one in Argos for 21€ if I remember correctly.

You want to avoid using wireless if you have the option not to. It's a bottleneck, it's unreliable.

The lazy way to do this is to get a TP-Link powerline extender. The receiver box is also a Wireless AP.

The correct way is to run Cat. 6 cable to every device possible. If you're going from floor to floor you want to have a switch on each.

Modem -> Floor 1 switch -> Basement switch

You can daisy-chain switches.

Where you want to have strong wireless plug an AP into the switch.

You can buy an AP and switch in one box like Netgear WN604. So you can have one of these white boxes on each floor/area.
    I haven't completed the job yet, what I have currently is my Siro modem in place downstairs. I have a Cat 5 cable from there to my attic, in the attic I have four Cat 5 cables going to and terminated into wall plates.

Now I have to find a suitable Network Switch, I was hoping to get one that is powered by the Cat 5 coming from the modem rather than having a run a socket to this point

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Str4ngeBr3w

Socket extension leads saves the day!

Advertisement