Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira shower problem

Options
  • 01-07-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hope someone can help with this, bit of a head scratcher...

We have a Mira Adept shower, as in the attached pdf file.

It was installed as part of a major renovation of a 1952 bungalow.

Cold water is supplied from the holding tank in the attic. Hot water comes from a 300 litre hot tank, heated by evacuated tubes on the roof.

The shower has a temperature control and a flow control for water pressure.

We keep the temperature control pegged to the highest setting, but, regardless of the temperature of the hot water, the shower is only luke warm.

To get good and hot, you need turn reduce the flow control a small bit and voila! nice hot shower.

It wasn't always like this, for several years after installation in late 2014 it was perfect.

What could have changed in the last year for the flow control to govern temperature control.

It is a pumped system, with thermostat control in the attic so don't scald yourself in the shower as you can at the kitchen sink.

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm not familiar with this particular model but there could be a few reasons. Hot filter could be blocked or the thermostatic cartridge might need replacing.

I find most people who have solar panels don't have the system serviced every 18 months as recommended. The water tends to overheat & damage the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Silver Breeze

Thanks for that. How do I test the cartridge, how to know it must be replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thanks for that. How do I test the cartridge, how to know it must be replaced?

Eliminate everything else first. Things like checking the filter isn't blocked. It's trial and error so I'd leave cartridge till the end. This is where a shower repair company comes into its own.

Advertisement