Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel to Europe via UK by car

• 01-07-2020 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi,

Thinking to travel to Europe by car.

Taking two ferries
    1. Dublin to Holyhead
    2. Dover to Calais

First time taking the ferries so no idea how it works.

My main question is. Can I stay in the car during the trip?

I am concerned about social distancing in the ferry so I would prefer to stay in the car to avoid any unnecessary contact.

Any other thing I should consider?

Thanks a lot for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You can’t stay in the car during either trip. If going on a large ferry from Dub to Holyhead then you can book a cabin. For England-France, consider the tunnel if you’d prefer to stay in your car as that is how that works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭cargen

Marcusm wrote: »
    You can’t stay in the car during either trip. If going on a large ferry from Dub to Holyhead then you can book a cabin. For England-France, consider the tunnel if you’d prefer to stay in your car as that is how that works!

Thanks I looked and I can't book the cabin from Dublin to Holyhead.

The tunnel is a good idea I will have a look.

Can I ask if in your experience the ferries are usually busy?

Can I stay on the bridge outside during the trip?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you can book the 2 crossings as a package over the phone through stena or irish ferries and the package is called "landbridge" and has its own price matrix, just look at the website. Simply explained, its cheaper on weekdays (mon-thurs) than weekends, and the ferry from UK to FRA leads to a cheaper price than the tunnel, but the difference in summer isnt massive and the tunnel is way quicker.

When calling its wise to have the times of the ferry / tunnel crossing to hand that you are looking for. They also ask for all passenger details, incl dates of birth.

One thing which is not explained to any extent by any ferry company for brand new ferry customers, is that "check-in" with a car is not as you might imagine it. Its not a case of getting out of your car and going to a desk in a building to a uniformed member of staff..... like I did on my first ferry crossing from Cherbourg!
    No... its just a checkpoint with a hut at the entrance to the port, like a toll motorway toll booth, and they give you any document or boarding pass you need.
    Eurotunnel is the same, but speedier in all aspects.

On a ferry, you can stay outside the whole time if you want but a cabin normally doesnt cost much on the irish sea crossings. It can be booked over the phone along with the landbridge deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

cargen wrote: »
    Thanks I looked and I can't book the cabin from Dublin to Holyhead.

The tunnel is a good idea I will have a look.

Can I ask if in your experience the ferries are usually busy?

Can I stay on the bridge outside during the trip?

Thanks again

You can stay outside for the duration of the crossing. Dress appropriately though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd say that the reason you can't get a cabin on the ferry is because the truck drivers are being given individual cabins instead of sharing with strangers.

The ferries will have to implement social distancing so even indoors you will be fine, if someone gets too close just go for a walk on deck and then sit somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

KaneToad wrote: »
    You can stay outside for the duration of the crossing. Dress appropriately though!

Not on some fast ferries.

Advertisement