Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Scotland

Options
  • 14-09-2017 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My boyfriend and I are moving to Glasgow from Ireland, and I've just got a few questions ..

So we've decided now to flat share for a while, maybe a month or two, while we both find jobs and then move somewhere just the two of us. This wasn't our original plan, but we have been finding it so hard to contact letting agencies about apartments that are ready to let. The amount of e-mails we both have sent and heard nothing back, is it always like that?
    Also, what on average do most letting agencies/landlords need? We have a reference from our previous landlord, we will have employment details at that point as we won't be moving somewhere permanent without a job, but I've been told that the situation with opening a bank account is very tricky, and then landlords require bank details. Can someone explain what to do in that situation?

Any tips on where to live in Glasgow are welcome, we were looking at Govanhill originally (where my brother and his partner used to live and we loved it) but we have found out how unsafe that area is.

Basically, any tips at all are welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hey OP!

Glasgow is fantastic and I am very envious of you. Regarding renting, do you say in your message that you're not yet there? I think things will get easier when you actually go over and have your UK numbers and can just call people.

Regards Govanhill not being safe, what is it that's putting you off? A lot of areas in Glasgow have reputations that are not fully deserved. People still think the Gorbals is dodgy but now it's all nice gaffs and a leisure centre. As you mentioned being a couple and wanting to move into your own place, a lot of my couple pals live in Dennistoun where they say the flats are bigger and the rent is cheaper (I just refer to them all as Smug Dennistoun Couples). It's not on the subway, but there are a lot of trains and buses. I think it's only two stops to Queen St Station.

I used to live in the West End which is very studenty, and as such, the rents tend to be a bit higher. That said, it's known for being pretty safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

have heard good things about west end, spareroom.co.uk is a good site I found to get setup initially and keep costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gumtree is handy too, I'm not in anyway familiar with Glasgow at all, but if it's anything like Edinburgh you might find the nice/bad areas are often very closely co-located. Usually just a road separating them ! Gumtree, also, more often than not has adverts that include bills in the price, so you know the total cost straight away:
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/property-to-share/double-room-in-flatshare-in-west-end-450£-bills-included-/1266172600

EDIT - I just realised your the same poster from the UK thread!

Regarding office jobs some of the better recruiters we use in work (i.e. they're not as bollix-y as the others!) are HEAD, Core Asset, Meraki, and Change Recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I live in the west end, albeit I own my apartment but I've rented here as well. The west end is great as you've got the subway, I can walk to the city centre in 20mins, lots of bus routes, and a huge amount of cafes, bars and supermarkets all walking distance. This is probably the worst time of year to be looking for somewhere in this area though to be honest as the students are just coming back to uni. Its also probably the most expensive area of the city for property/rents.

Perhaps you should consider the south side; Shawlands is up and coming and for the most part is considered safe.

Most lettings agencies will wish to conduct background checks on you before agreeing a tenancy. This can be rather difficult when not having lived in the UK before as they usually do a credit check as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

FYI Letting agent fees are unlawful in Scotland i.e. credit checks etc.,

http://www.reclaimyourfees.com

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    FYI Letting agent fees are unlawful in Scotland i.e. credit checks etc.,

http://www.reclaimyourfees.com

Well this is interesting. TheFlatCompany charged us reference fees amongst others when we just moved over. That was 9 years ago though, I'll have to see if I can dig out the emails.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Well this is interesting. TheFlatCompany charged us reference fees amongst others when we just moved over. That was 9 years ago though, I'll have to see if I can dig out the emails.

According to the site you can only reclaim if you were charged fees within the past five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

razorblunt wrote: »

The ban on fees only came in 5 years ago. It was getting ridiculous I remember seeing places where the fees were £150!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭afriendlyshark

Thanks cloudatlas! I didn't even know what was meant by letting agent fees, we don't have them in Ireland. Nearly every property I've seen advertised on gumtree has said "no letting agent fees", seems like some places still think they can charge but are doing you a favour by not.

Ah balls to that so, I'll just have to continue my campaign of denouncing The Flat Company by word of mouth!

• Advertisement

Thanks cloudatlas! I didn't even know what was meant by letting agent fees, we don't have them in Ireland. Nearly every property I've seen advertised on gumtree has said "no letting agent fees", seems like some places still think they can charge but are doing you a favour by not.

What they put in the small print is that you can organise the reference checks etc., yourself for free without using a third party company but they push the third party reference company to the fore because they get commission. So enquire as to how you can go about it yourself if presented with a case where they seem to be trying to push you to use one. I learnt the hard way.

Advertisement