Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh Hogmanay

Options
  • 16-12-2016 2:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Doing the first New Year's in Edinburgh this year. Should be a laugh, and we'll have the waterproofs and all ready to go just in case.

Any tips from anyone who's been before?

Best place for toilets? That kind of thing.

(I also see the Old Firm Derby is on the 31st, Glasgow's going to be mental.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Go to the torchlight procession on the 30th if you are around. Its a gentle walk up Calton hill but its the sort of thing that goes on during Hogmanay that you don't really get to experience very often!

Are you doing the street party? I think its one of those things you should do once just to tick it off the list imagine the fuss in Dublin if they announced they were going to close down O'Connell St for traffic for several days to have a New Years party! These days it's so crowded do be prepared to have very little space if you do go to it. Make sure you don't wait too long to head to the toilet as while there are quite a lot of them the queue time can get ridiculous and that's the last thing you want if you're on the edge! One thing non-EH folk might not realise is that you can bring alcohol in it just needs to be in 500ml bottles or cans unsurprisingly when you are in choice of drink is limited and price is high!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yeah it's a one time deal for the street party. Don't think we'd bother except we haven't done it yet despite living here for the last 5 years.

Yeah I expect it will be packed. Good call on the torchlight procession. I am around the 30th so might do that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Yeah it's a one time deal for the street party. Don't think we'd bother except we haven't done it yet despite living here for the last 5 years.

Yeah I expect it will be packed. Good call on the torchlight procession. I am around the 30th so might do that, thanks.

Looks like they're trying to quieten the procession down a bit every group in the procession has to have at least one torch so if there's two of you now you have to pay £15 to join it. It does raise money for UNICEF though so at least some of its going to a good cause.

Advertisement