Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Tray or Waste Pipe Leak

Options
  • 04-07-2020 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Just noticed a leak on the ceiling right below the shower tray. I've checked the silicone seals and they all look good so I suspect its coming from the trap or the waste pipe.

I checked the seals around the trap itself by adding a small amount of water around the perimeter and the water stayed there.

Did I need to cut a hole in the ceiling to access from below or is there anything I can try before doing this?

The leak mark on the ceiling is about 1meter long and 50mm wide not sure if that indicates anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,899 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's most likely grout failing between the tiles. If tray was fitted correctly using classi seal then there would be no need for silicone.

I wouldn't jump into cutting a hole in the ceiling. If it's the trap then I'd expect to be seeing a drip from the ceiling below rather than a water mark. If you really wanted to cut the hole it would certainly rule out the trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's most likely grout failing between the tiles. If tray was fitted correctly using classi seal then there would be no need for silicone.

I wouldn't jump into cutting a hole in the ceiling. If it's the trap then I'd expect to be seeing a drip from the ceiling below rather than a water mark. If you really wanted to cut the hole it would certainly rule out the trap.

Yeah that would make sense with the long water mark instead of a drip mark but the grout looks to be in good shape aswell as the silicone.

Im stumped as to what is causing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

The long water mark is probably caused by a joint in the plasterboarding, making water run along the joint instead of spreading uniformly.

Put a level on it and try to see which way the water is flowing.

Advertisement