Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel to USA via non-travel restricted country

Options
  • 03-07-2020 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

My son who has been at home in Ireland for the past few months has a F1 student Visa and has already completed his first year of a soccer scholarship in the USA. His coach wants him to return to the USA at the end of this month for pre-season training and the college are going to provide accommodation so that he can quarantine for the first 2 weeks in the US. College is in New York which is well past its COVID peak and has a sensible governor.

Non-US citizens who have spent 14 days or more in Ireland, the UK or any Shengen area countries are banned from entering the US at the moment. Ironic really considering rates in US vs Europe at the moment!

I figured if he spent two weeks in Turkey (seems to be the nearest non-travel restricted country with direct flights to the US) and then flew directly to JFK he would be permitted to enter the US. Does anyone know if this would work? If so what kind of proof might he be asked for about his stay in Turkey? I'm thinking they might look for passport stamp, flight and accommodation receipts etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

digitaldr wrote: »
    My son who has been at home in Ireland for the past few months has a F1 student Visa and has already completed his first year of a soccer scholarship in the USA. His coach wants him to return to the USA at the end of this month for pre-season training and the college are going to provide accommodation so that he can quarantine for the first 2 weeks in the US. College is in New York which is well past its COVID peak and has a sensible governor.

Non-US citizens who have spent 14 days or more in Ireland, the UK or any Shengen area countries are banned from entering the US at the moment. Ironic really considering rates in US vs Europe at the moment!

I figured if he spent two weeks in Turkey (seems to be the nearest non-travel restricted country with direct flights to the US) and then flew directly to JFK he would be permitted to enter the US. Does anyone know if this would work? If so what kind of proof might he be asked for about his stay in Turkey? I'm thinking they might look for passport stamp, flight and accommodation receipts etc.

The rules apply to everyone during health emergencies even soccer players. Advise him to do the right thing and stay here. Also for his own sake, US is a Covid disaster area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The US is not somewhere I would want be at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

digitaldr wrote: »

Consider also that under current arrangements, your son will not have any insurance coverage while travelling to or in Turkey. Do you know his insurance status for the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Why on earth would you risk your child's health sending home to a country rampant with Covid19?

And why are you looking for a loophole around the rules?

Unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

The poster asked would the above work and not for a lecture in what's right and what's wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

During the start of the pandemic but after the US-Ireland ban I entered the USA from Brazil on my Irish passport. I had been outside of Ireland for two weeks prior to entering the USA.

For any Irish passport holder who wants to enter the USA now they need to spend 14 days outside Ireland in a 3rd country such a Turkey as mentioned. Brazil - US travel is since banned as was my case.

Advertisement