Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent A Car in Ireland for EU travel

• 03-07-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

We have decided to go to Croatia in October, and would like to go with a car, but not ours :D so is there any rent a car house that allows travel outside of Ireland? We would travel ONLY in EU countries and UK. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would you not want a car with the steering wheel on the correct side for that country?

Maybe hire in France?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

https://www.europcar.ie/en-ie/stations/france/cherbourg-ferry

Foot passanger Dublin to Cherbourg port, Europcar has office in Cherbourg port.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

sashab wrote: »
    We have decided to go to Croatia in October, and would like to go with a car, but not ours :D so is there any rent a car house that allows travel outside of Ireland? We would travel ONLY in EU countries and UK. Thanks in advance.

You want to hire a car in Ireland to drive about 5,000km to Croatia and back? :D

This has to be a wind up post! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Fly to Croatia and hire one there .
    Only way to go .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    You want to hire a car in Ireland to drive about 5,000km to Croatia and back? :D

This has to be a wind up post! :rolleyes:

Someone with a phobia of flying , someone who wants to carry a lot of equipment, someone who likes a good trip, Sometimes it’s about the journey as opposed to the destination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Yes total madness..if in mainland Europe hire a left hand drive car and stop the messing about.. much higher risk of an accident happening as you would be very reliant on the passenger to tell if road ahead was clear etc when trying to overtake etc...also any ticket machines etc will be at wrong side of car to enter exit car parks etc...took my vehicle a few times on ferry to France but far from ideal..
    Rent in Croatia...your idea of traveling cross countries incl England which might not now be classed an EU country is madness and definitely not a holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ted1 wrote: »
    Someone with a phobia of flying , someone who wants to carry a lot of equipment, someone who likes a good trip, Sometimes it’s about the journey as opposed to the destination

Ah come on now, I agree that if you have a complete phobia of flying that you can go by Ferries, trains, buses, but to drive a rental car 5,000km, I mean never mind the cost of renting it, the excess insurance, but the Fuel costs!? Huge, plus toll roads..Plus the costs of staying somewhere overnight as you'd have to break up the drive into a couple of days...

Ok so if I was determine to drive and make an adventure out of it, i'd buy a v cheap 2nd hand Diesel van with a couple of sleeping bags in the back, drive over and back and sell it for a few quid when I got back...

ted1 wrote: »

You enjoy driving 5000km of motorway? Odd.

Why not yours may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sashab

kindalen wrote: »
    https://www.europcar.ie/en-ie/stations/france/cherbourg-ferry

Foot passanger Dublin to Cherbourg port, Europcar has office in Cherbourg port.

Hope this helps.

Are you allowed to go on foot? Any link for this? I thought that you can go only with a car. Also it, me, wife and daughter.

And I see a lot of you asking why, because we like to travel :D and it's not our first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Wherever you hire, I would be checking all terms and conditions. I go to Bravaria and across to Austria on some holidays, but this is relatively short distance. Even still I checked before hand about traveling across hoarders and milage etc.

I'm sure the hire car companies how some sort of milage limits or charges above a certain amount per day on average? Especially if driving over 4/5 000 km in one hire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You enjoy driving 5000km of motorway? Odd.

My neighbours do it annually and enjoy it. No need to keep to motorways.

The op never said how long they intend to take

Its not 5,000 straight , it’s 2,800 each way with possibly a decent gap between

Are you allowed to go on foot? Any link for this? I thought that you can go only with a car. Also it, me, wife and daughter.

And I see a lot of you asking why, because we like to travel :D and it's not our first time.

https://www.stenaline.ie/ferries-to-france

From Rosslare to Cherbourg. Ring Irish Ferries, not sure if they allow foot passangers on France route.

If Roscoff works it has car rental too, ring Brittany Ferries to enquire.

https://www.europcar.ie/en-ie/stations/france/roscoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,493 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

https://www.stenaline.ie/ferries-to-france

From Rosslare to Cherbourg. Ring Irish Ferries, not sure if they allow foot passangers on France route.

Of course they do. Lots of backpackers are prepared to travel on the cheap and bed down in corridors and common areas after the bars close and everyone else is gone to their cabins. Why wouldn't the ferry companies take ther money, when there's acres of space for them? Some of them will attempt to be first to grab the prime (bench) seating in the bar before they close but the crew keep booting them out!

In the 'Book Online' column on the left side of their homepage, there is a question 'How are you travelling' and the very first option is 'on foot with no car'.

All those young tourists you meet in Galway & Clare in the summer, that's how most of them get here, if they don't come through the UK.

I'm not sure they do take foot passangers in October.It didn't seem possible when I tried a quick dummy booking, hence why I suggested calling Irish Ferries.

I'm not sure they do take foot passangers in October.It didn't seem possible when I tried a quick dummy booking, hence why I suggested calling Irish Ferries.

Even if you state that you have no car, you still have to click one of the options for: (1) a cabin (2) a reclining seat in a public area or (3) neither of those. Until you make a selection, it won't let you proceed, that may be why you hit a brick wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

You can hire from Sixt, Croatia is Zone 2,
    Territorial restrictions
    The vehicle selection can restrict travel to certain countries. For a description of these restrictions on admission, the countries are divided into three zones.

Zone 1: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain and Vatican

Zone 2: Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia

Zone 3: All countries which are not in zone 1 or 2.

Sports & luxury cars may enter only in Zone 1 countries. Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen cars up to group L*** are allowed to enter only in Zone 1 countries as well as Poland and the Czech Republic, while X*** cars are only allowed to enter in Zone 1 countries. Vehicles of all other brands may enter only in the zones 1 and 2.

Just stick Croatia in as a country you are visiting when renting, shouldn't be a problem.

Regards to the steering wheel on the wrong side, doesn't really make much difference, it's just a bit of a pain in multistory car parks and Mc Donalds Drive Thru

Have a nice trip

redcup342 wrote: »
    You can hire from Sixt, Croatia is Zone 2,

The Sixt Ts & Cs for renting a passenger car in Ireland says that third party insurance is 'limited to Ireland only'.

Third Party Insurance (TI)

Protection coverage for the vehicle includes Third Party Liability with a maximum cover of 5,000,000.- Euro for damaged vehicle and unlimited liability for personal injuries. Protection coverage is limited to Ireland only.

Which appears to mean the island of Ireland. And you need written permission to drive into NI....

Cross border rentals and territorial restrictions

Cross Border Rentals are allowed to the following countries: Northern Ireland.

A written permission issued by the Sixt branch is mandatory to cross the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

coylemj wrote: »
    The Sixt Ts & Cs for renting a passenger car in Ireland says that third party insurance is 'limited to Ireland only'.

Third Party Insurance (TI)

Protection coverage for the vehicle includes Third Party Liability with a maximum cover of 5,000,000.- Euro for damaged vehicle and unlimited liability for personal injuries. Protection coverage is limited to Ireland only.

Which appears to mean the island of Ireland. And you need written permission to drive into NI....

Cross border rentals and territorial restrictions

Cross Border Rentals are allowed to the following countries: Northern Ireland.

A written permission issued by the Sixt branch is mandatory to cross the border.

Ah ok ... wasn't aware of that, Sixt in Germany had no issues with me going to Ireland.

Advertisement