Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gun Barrel pipes

• 15-03-2018 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi all

Lookimg at a 4 bed bungalow with gun barrel heating pipes rather than insulated copper.

As the floor is suspended i.e. there are vents below floor level, the E.A. claims the pipes are not in contact with concrete and will therefore not corrode.

Despite this, I imagine the house is between 30 and 40 years old and I think it would be best to replace all the pipes.

Can anyone give a guesstimate on how much this would cost? Excluding rads etc. for now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Damiencm wrote: »
    Hi all

Lookimg at a 4 bed bungalow with gun barrel heating pipes rather than insulated copper.

As the floor is suspended i.e. there are vents below floor level, the E.A. claims the pipes are not in contact with concrete and will therefore not corrode.

Despite this, I imagine the house is between 30 and 40 years old and I think it would be best to replace all the pipes.

Can anyone give a guesstimate on how much this would cost? Excluding rads etc. for now.

Gunbarrell has a life expectancy of 30-40 years. Any leaks I’ve seen on gunbarrel are usually internally and have nothing to do with contact with concrete. I’d say you won’t get much change from 10k incl radiators

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Gunbarrell has a life expectancy of 30-40 years. Any leaks I’ve seen on gunbarrel are usually internally and have nothing to do with contact with concrete. I’d say you won’t get much change from 10k incl radiators

Thanks. I suppose it will come down to how much the vendor is willing to accept and whether we wil have enough left to complete the work.

As the floors are suspended, would access to the pipes be relatively straightforward?

Also from reading online there seems to be mixed views on whether to keep the suspended floors or to fill them in.

I suppose cost again is key. Would you have any experience of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Damiencm wrote: »
    Thanks. I suppose it will come down to how much the vendor is willing to accept and whether we wil have enough left to complete the work.

As the floors are suspended, would access to the pipes be relatively straightforward?

Also from reading online there seems to be mixed views on whether to keep the suspended floors or to fill them in.

I suppose cost again is key. Would you have any experience of this?

Of filling floors? I wouldn’t know tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Of filling floors? I wouldn’t know tbh.

If lifting floors you should also insulate.
    Also, consider had it been rewired as if flooring coming up it's a good time

MAJJ wrote:
    If lifting floors you should also insulate. Also, consider had it been rewired as if flooring coming up it's a good time

This job is growing legs... New heating pipes, floor filling and now rewiring!

I don't have square footage to hand but can anyone hazard a guess at the cost to rewire a fairly standard 4 bed bungalow?

I have been advised separately that the cost of filling the floor with insulated concrete would be E4,000 to E5,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Gun barrel will last indefenatly on a perfect heating system.
    No pitching and no leaks.
    My parent's house is still going strong after 52 years, but on its 3rd boiler.
    2 from age, 1for efficiency.
    You can be lucky or unlucky due to original design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

MAJJ wrote:
    If lifting floors you should also insulate. Also, consider had it been rewired as if flooring coming up it's a good time

Rewiring is a good point. I could live with the piping indefinitely but I'd be more concerned about decent wiring

Sleeper12 wrote:
    Rewiring is a good point. I could live with the piping indefinitely but I'd be more concerned about decent wiring

Just to say, there is no question at this stage of the wiring being deficient. The house is in very good nick. Obviously we will check the electrics as a matter of course

• Registered Users Posts: 27 grantk2

Hi, I'm in the same position now and doing a bit a research. What did you do in the end?

grantk2 wrote:
    Hi, I'm in the same position now and doing a bit a research. What did you do in the end?

Nothing as we didn't proceed with the purchase! Unrelated reasons to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement