Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh chat thread

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

razorblunt wrote: »
    If you want a decent 2 bed (with en suite) in a new build, within 3 miles of the city, you're looking at ~£850/£900.

East Pilton is always my benchmark for rent.
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/49738277?search_identifier=e6232d00f48b22b7fe1c9231ec3d255b

That doesn’t sound too bad at all. €1000 is good value compared to cities in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

KevinCavan wrote: »
    That doesn’t sound too bad at all. €1000 is good value compared to cities in Ireland.

If you're willing to commute it's not so bad. 15-20 minutes on the train and you can get something pretty decent for that sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah, €1000 would get you more outside the city but then you'd have the commute time and cost wise.
    The trains can be a fcking joke too.

If you're thinking of coming over and its just you I'd recommend getting a flatshare where you rent a room and the bills/council tax are all included in the amount payable.
    It will let you get settled and get a feel for the areas.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've been keeping an eye on rents lately and I'm not sure why, but they seem to be coming down a bit - there have been a fair few places in generally pricey areas like Stockbridge and New Town which have had their rent dropped on RightMove etc. Not sure if it's Brexit or what, but it's a pleasant surprise for those of us who rent.

Also, I didn't realize this but under new legislation tenancy agreements can't enforce minimum tenancy durations nor notice periods any more. Which is also good, because the places I've rented thus far have insisted on "12 month tenancy, 2 month notice period, no break clause" as terms, which is a bit crap tbh.

Alot of people that were renting in Stockbridge, who would be first time buyers moved out to the new builds on Ferry Road.
    Stockbridge was horrendously over priced too, there's some great gaffs there but some of the 1 and 2 beds were mad prices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

razorblunt wrote: »
    Alot of people that were renting in Stockbridge, who would be first time buyers moved out to the new builds on Ferry Road.
    Stockbridge was horrendously over priced too, there's some great gaffs there but some of the 1 and 2 beds were mad prices.

It still is over-priced, given how many of the streets have cobblestones (ie extra noise from traffic) and how many otherwise-nice properties single-glazing because the landlords are too cheap to spend the extra pennies on double-glazing (usually the excuse is "conservation area" but in practice all that means is "pay to get it done without changing the window frames which costs a bit more").

I'm baffled at the number of places that still have electric storage heaters too.

Yeah, there's always a few nice places available in those converted hospitals in Learmonth Grove but they always have electric heaters.

The windows are a bug bear of mine too.

Advertisement