Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

350 Budget commuter bike

• 25-09-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    As above im looking for a racer bike for commuting into college and casually doing some cycling on the weekends.
    Im 6ft2".
    I would like to buy a secondhand bike on somewhere like donedeal or adverts.ie.
    The thing is I see a lot of bikes advertised and I have no clue as to what are good etc.
    I would appreciate any feedback from more experienced people on this.
    ATb john

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Best thing to do is put a link to specific bikes you like and see what people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Don't be put off by a well-maintained older bike.

I'd rather have a 10 year old bike with decent parts than a nearly-new Halfords special.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I've mentioned it before, but if I was in the market I would definately be buying this.

Been a few discussions on Boards about it, and I think a couple of purchasers. Here is one link, there were others AFAIR

Defy are good. Both those bikes are probably a size too small.

At 6ft2 you should be looking at a 58cm (traditional sizing) or "large" bike.

The seller of the Claude Butler doesn't seem to know much about bikes - there's no way that would fit someone 5ft tall, there's no model specifics and I'm not sure what "quick shift 16 speed shimano gears" are exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Lumen wrote: »
    Defy are good. Both those bikes are probably a size too small.

At 6ft2 you should be looking at a 58cm (traditional sizing) or "large" bike.

The seller of the Claude Butler doesn't seem to know much about bikes - there's no way that would fit someone 5ft tall, there's no model specifics and I'm not sure what "quick shift 16 speed shimano gears" are exactly.

I'm 6ft1 nearly 6ft2 and I bought a 54cm (large) bike in Halfords recently. The Virtuoso. Think they said it has a compact geometry.

I love it so far done roughly 250km in the past few weeks. Am I way off on sizing???

I'm 6ft1 nearly 6ft2 and I bought a 54cm (large) bike in Halfords recently. The Virtuoso. Think they said it has a compact geometry.

I love it so far done roughly 250km in the past few weeks. Am I way off on sizing???

The 54cm Carrera Virtuoso is size "large". The compact geometry means that the seat tube length (54cm) isn't a good guide to the sizing.

Advertisement