Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My next bike

Options
  • 22-09-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Sorry about another suggestions thread but I'm really at a loss!

I bought a trek 1.1 when I started cycling but now I'm getting sick of it's limitations and limited quality parts so I'm looking to upgrade.

I'm probably doing about ~200k per week plus about 10/15 races/sportives per year and so have got more and more serious.

However I don't have the knowledge to know what the next step should be. Obviously I want to get a better bike but am limited by budget (1000-1200) and, thus, can't (and probably don't need to) get a top of the range bike. However I don't want to get something that I'll need to upgrade in a years time!

I'd welcome any suggestions of what features, parts or even bike models that I should look out for. I've no problem buying a well kept second hand bike as I'll probably get more bang for my buck that way?

Thanks for any thoughts

Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Your budget isn't going to get you an upgrade of any significance in my opinion. Sure isn't a trek 1.1 nearly 1000 euro?

Second hand is a great way to go. If you can up the beans a bit, and if you're a size 56, you're in luck, cos I'm selling mine, and it's the best bike in the world! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭trasver

Thanks for the reply. Actually I'd never looked up the current price of the Trek 1.1. I got a 2010 model in 2010 for 550 so must have got a good deal on it!

Unfortunately I need a 60cm but thanks for the offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Have a look at this thread for some good info on bikes in around your price range:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056758041

Two very nice bikes on that thread are the Cannondale Supersix and Canyon AL, great frames and quality kit that would only need upgrading from the usual wear and tear.

You could probably sell the Trek for around €300 to bump you up to the €1500 bike price bracket, it would be worth paying that little bit more to get a top quality bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noddy69

http://road.cc/content/news/63270-best-%C2%A3900-%C2%A31000-road-bikes, have a read of that and see what you think.

Have you taken bike to work into acc when figuring your budget, or the selling of the trek to upgrade, some good bikes at the price but if you get to 1500 plus you have more options(obvious I know).

Thanks guys for those suggestions, much appreciated.

After starting with a budget of 1000 I spent the night dreaming about the Cannondale Supersix and have increased my budget by a half again. Unfortunately no cycle to work for me but will definitely sell the Trek and a few other bits and bobs to increase the budget :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm idly musing over selling my 2011 Canyon SL 8.0, which happens to be a 60cm frame. Through radical underuse the condition is excellent (plastic protective still on shifters and derailleur).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

trasver wrote: »
    Thanks guys for those suggestions, much appreciated.

After starting with a budget of 1000 I spent the night dreaming about the Cannondale Supersix and have increased my budget by a half again. Unfortunately no cycle to work for me but will definitely sell the Trek and a few other bits and bobs to increase the budget :)

Spend the extra, sure isn't it better than paying a gym or golf membership that keeps recurring, every quarter or year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Is the supersix not 9 grand or something?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

uberwolf wrote: »
    I'm idly musing over selling my 2011 Canyon SL 8.0, which happens to be a 60cm frame. Through radical underuse the condition is excellent (plastic protective still on shifters and derailleur).

How much would you be looking for? And where are you based?

The Dagda wrote: »
    How much would you be looking for? And where are you based?

This really is idle musing so far. It cost 2k new and irrespective of how well it's been looked after (cleaned and lubed after every wet spin), how little use (wear markers on original tires still suggest miles to go, plastic protective wrappers on shifters still there) I'd earmarked 1,400 towards my new bike as the point where it might be worthwhile entering negotiations with the higherpower on an upgrade. And based in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

uberwolf wrote: »
    I recall (incorrectly?) your dilema before buying that bike was a choice between the CF SLX with Dura Ace and the CF with Ultegra. The one which you've linked has Campagnolo.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Is the supersix not 9 grand or something?:confused:

Nope it's the apex in the thread that dubba had recommended (thanks!)

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/bikes-c5/road-bikes-c18/cannondale-supersix-apex-road-bike-white-2012-p206336

That's a lovely looking bike uberwolf...hmm that's thrown the cat among the pigeons!

Lemag wrote: »
    I recall (incorrectly?) your dilema before buying that bike was a choice between the CF SLX with Dura Ace and the CF with Ultegra. The one which you've linked has Campagnolo.

you're dead right, lazy linking! It is the full ultegra version of the bike, they obv pitched campag at that price point / model level this year. I'll see if I can find a link to the correct bike.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Would the op not be as well off to just buy the supersix you linked rather than your bike Trasver? :P

Your bike does have a better groupset in fairness to ya :)

Trasver (me) is the OP!

Surely the secondhand bike that uberwolf has is a much greater spec than the supersix I linked to? Honest answers very welcome as unfortunately I'm a little clueless about the exact difference between components!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

trasver wrote: »
    Trasver (me) is the OP!

Surely the secondhand bike that uberwolf has is a much greater spec than the supersix I linked to? Honest answers very welcome as unfortunately I'm a little clueless about the exact difference between components!!

It is better specced but a lot of people have some sort of cannondale fetish and will often sacrifice component upgrades and go for a perceived "better" cannondale frame with lower specced componentry.

In this case, before the discount that cannondale was €125 more expensive than the canyon was and has apex vs ultegra (not a massive gulf there in fairness) but the wheels wouldn't be as good etc.

For as little difference as there in price between the discounted 'dale and second hand canyon, most would go with the cannondale I reckon, partially because it's new and partially because it's a cannondale.

Edit:

I'd actually go for the canyon subject to viewing etc, the groupset upgrade, wheel upgrade, weight difference (800g less) and a few other things make it a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I have a Connondale CAAD9 so not the SuperSix which you've expressed interest in. I also have a Canyon Ultimate CF frame set which I've built up so the spec is different to that of uberwolf (my frameset is also of the previous year). From my experience of both I reckon that uberwolf's Canyon represents a much better bike and hence much better value with both prices being similar. If I recall correctly, uberwolf's bike comes with Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels which are a significant upgrade on the Aksium wheels which would come with the SuperSix.

Advertisement