Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

turbo trainers

Options
  • 24-09-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

with the winter nearly here im thinking of getting a turbo trainer for my road bike.i dont have a clue about them.
    can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to go for?
    any and all advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

kingerae86 wrote: »
    with the winter nearly here im thinking of getting a turbo trainer for my road bike.i dont have a clue about them.

My advice would be to get some thermals and cycle as normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

davey101 wrote: »
    kingerae86 wrote: »

Yea that's not always practical or appealing. A turbo means you can train whatever the weather with no worries about getting sick or running the risk of crashing in poor conditions. I've just set up my tacx fortius virtual reality trainer for the Autumn / Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kingerae86

davey101 wrote: »

dark evenings,and working stupid hours wont allow this unfortunatley.
    thats why im looking for info on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

Hi Kingerea86
    You could probably pick up a second hand Tacx for around 100 euro on Boards.ie if you put up a post in the ad section, or a new one for 150 in your LBS. ive been using one during the winter when its impossible to get out and i usually do an hour on it..turbos can be boring so put on youtube and watch all the tour de france stages as motivation and entertainment, loads of cycling films on it too. also keep well hydrated as you can get fairly hot on the turbo without the wind to cool you down.
    best o luck with it.
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Not sure if this is not hijacking the thread but do all turbos accept also MTBs on them. I'm currently using the road bike for commuting-training-spins and the MTB is now sitting in the shed awaiting some ice and snow, in the meantime I could use it to get some intervals done and do that base training thing a bit. I have a pair of slicks for it and was wondering if any turbo would accept and MTB or should I be looking at some specific models/brands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Yea that's not always practical or appealing. A turbo means you can train whatever the weather with no worries about getting sick or running the risk of crashing in poor conditions. I've just set up my tacx fortius virtual reality trainer for the Autumn / Winter.

Also use the Tacx VR, albeit the slightly cheaper tacx flow. Some thoughts on it here,here and here.

Advertisement