Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A question

• 24-01-2004 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I have been a chess player form the age of 7, won a few trophys/medals...got raped in the ear by Luke McShane (I was a pawn up at one stage :p)...

but when games such as Red alert and shogun came out chess took a back seat...the ability to hide your troops, conceal your plans...i was engrossed...

I havent played much chess since then, I have forgotten most of the openings and set-ups that I used to try...i still play the odd game amoung friends but i keep thinking about HW2 or Generals....I probably wont post much here I'm sorry to say but I have one question

Have you tried to play against yourself? considering peoples opinions on Bobby Fisher (sp?) that chess was nearly an Art form, an amazing personal performance of being able to play against ones self...

Now has any tried it and what are peoples opinions on solo play chess?

Ger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I used to play against myself in secondary school, you may think it kinda pointless when you know what the other person is thinking, however by knowing what I was trying to do and blocking it I often found that I had inadvertently opened my defences in other areas and thus developed new and more complex strategies.

SearrarD sux at chess :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Used to do it when extremely bored.

I beat McShane at the Kilkenny chess tournament!*

* Rod McShane, Lukes dad :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I still play chess with myself the odd time and I find it can be quite beneficial to your game to boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I don't play nearly enough to help my playing, either with myself or with anyone else. Might try and get back into it if these tournies go ahead

Advertisement