Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightweight walking gear for hot climates

Options
  • 09-04-2019 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi y'all,

I'm heading to warmer climates a couple times this year and intend to do some long walks. Mostly flat trails and nothing overly strenious in terms of hills and rough terrain.

I've some Karrimor walking shoes which do me fine for 20-30km walks. However last year I made the mistake of only packing branded cotton T-shirts which proved a bit heavy after a few km in the heat.

Have you any recommendations in terms of light weight and breathable tees and shorts? Or indeed better footwear?

I've these shorts which are probably fine?

Any recommendations and advice welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You want light breathable stuff that won't hold water like cotton does.

Something like merino wool or any of those synthetic running tops/t shirts.

This is an expensive example but might give you an idea: https://www.baselayer.co.uk/Men-s-Icebreaker-Cool-Lite-Solace-Polo-IC-104594--Gunmetal-Grey-NEW-product-1012-290#Black

I probably wouldn't get those shorts either, avoid cotton like the plague! Again an expensive example but might give you an idea: https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.ie/p/the-north-face-mens-meridian-convertible-pants-A1B22003.html?channable=e64065.MTY5MTQ&colour=121&gclid=CjwKCAjwhbHlBRAMEiwAoDA340gEQ70B4R2ZzypwoLcs9OuXo_LvmrVcWs_yqwVbHJt3m05ouivz5xoCPvgQAvD_BwE

I alway found it handy to have a pair of pants you can just convert to shorts or vise versa whenever you need and the material is super light so will dry very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thanks for that.

I had similar shorts to those I linked to last year without any issue but will defo look into what you recommend.

Is the polo style top you suggest recommended for the heat? I would have thought it heavy around the neck? Although it would protect against the sun.

Thanks again

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No bother. Yeah maybe not a polo one, it was just the first light merino top I found. :o

I'd probably go more for this style myself: https://eu.icebreaker.com/en/mens-underwear/anatomica-short-sleeve-crewe/103033.html?dwvar_103033_color=002

If you had no issues with those shorts before then fire away I'd say.

Mickeroo wrote: »

They look good, but not very flattering if you have a bit of a belly etc haha

py2006 wrote: »
    They look good, but not very flattering if you have a bit of a belly etc haha

Yeah, been a few years since I wore one of those in public myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a few Icebreaker merino tops, but only wear them in cold conditions, I'd have thought they'd be quite warm in the summer. They do have one big advantage though that they can be worn for several days without getting smelly, which is a big plus on multi day trips. For summer use I'd probably recommend a synthetic base layer. If needed they can be quickly rinsed through and dried very quickly.

The "ultralight" icebreaker stuff is very very thin material, you'd barely know it's there.

Synthetic base layers are perfect too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The "ultralight" icebreaker stuff is very very thin material, you'd barely know it's there.

Synthetic base layers are perfect too though.
    Yes, the ones I have are 200 weight, I see the ones you linked to are 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Just want to say merino wool is made of magic. Warm when cold, cool when warm. Handwashes easily, dries quickly. Bacteria and therefore smell resistant. I love the stuff except the price....

Nowt wrong with synth baselayers either but merino is the bees knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Try SportPursuit
    They have a merino sale at moment
    Try getting a 150 merino tee shirt
    Isobaa range are 100% merino
    For hot weather dip the t shirt in a cold bucket of water and squeeze out
    Will keep you cool for hours

• Advertisement

I had a look at some of the Icebreaker tshirts in 53 degrees north. 70euros?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

53 degrees north are always seriously overpriced. On Amazon they start from about GBP30

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

craghopper walking pants seem good to me and can be gotten for a reasonable amount for tops look at walking shirts from alpkit I bought one and it is really thin material cheap enough in their sales

and craghopper do nice shirts of breathable material. so yeah for cheap breathable stuff there are plenty of good stuff out there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Helly Hansen Lifa tops/material is very good. Wear them all the time in the hills or walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

unkel wrote:
    53 degrees north are always seriously overpriced. On Amazon they start from about GBP30

Agree with this, but they might do you a deal if you message them on twitter. They did a price match for me that took 200 off a pair of boots.

Advertisement