Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Men in Heterosexual Marriages

• 27-01-2020 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

A feature on last weeks RTE Radio 1 LiveLine show (Joe Duffy's show) was gay men in heterosexual marriages.

Some of the pieces were replayed on the Playback show, which replays snippets of radio from the previous week.

Some of the callers asked for voices to be altered so as not to be recognisable.

It was an education listening to what people have been through, both the gay men who married women and the women they married.

The Playback show should be available to listen back to on the RTE website if anyone is interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭robinbird

Are you referring to Operation Transformation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

robinbird wrote: »
    Are you referring to Operation Transformation?

Couldn't believe he had a wife and kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Eh lads this after hours

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Had a listen to it.....times have changed but I'd imagine it's more common than thought, especially with older couples

368100 wrote: »
    Had a listen to it.....times have changed but I'd imagine it's more common than thought, especially with older couples

Sometimes it suits both parties to an extent.
    Asexual or frigid women that want the respectability of a marriage and gay men that want social cover. Maybe get over the distaste to do it a few times to get kids if wanted and then stop.
    There are a lot of sexless marriages. And marriages without intimacy.

• Advertisement

Asexual or frigid women that want the respectability of a marriage and gay men that want social cover. Maybe get over the distaste to do it a few times to get kids if wanted and then stop.

Thats true, I see that with friends and family and no sexuality issues to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

There is obviously some truth in some of your points.

The gist of the participants to the Joe duffy radio show didn't deal with your points.

The show dealt with people who didn't know their husband was gay, also interviewed were gay men who had married unsuspecting women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It happened to me. When I was 39 my husband and father of my 3 children came out. I had absolutely no idea and it shattered my world into a million different pieces. 5 years later he now thinks that he did no wrong, thinks that we are both to blame as we never got on and has absolutely no interest in the 3 kids that he was insistent that I had. It’s a despicable thing to do but I have to take the positives out of it. I have 3 lovely children and he has no idea what he is missing out on with them, I’m raising them alone and it can be really tough but I’d be lost without them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I’d just point out that plenty of people are unsure about their sexuality and plenty more are gay, lesbian or bisexual and take a long time to figure out where they stand. It also doesn’t necessarily mean they’re somehow hiding anything. It’s just not a very simple thing to figure out for some people.

I don’t think most people who get married and then realise they’re actually gay or lesbian do so out of some kind of some bad motive or to hide. They may have been deeply connected to someone and not even understood what was going on with their sexuality. Not everyone is all that sexually experienced and particularly going back even a couple of decades ago there was far less openness about LGBT issues and sexuality in general.

Unfortunately, a significant % of marriages do end in divorce and people can be incompatible for a whole variety of reasons and only find these things out after the fact. That’s just part of the messiness of life.

It’s impossible to know what was going on in someone’s thought process or how they defined their own sexuality at the time they got married and if you go back to almost any time before the 2010s there was huge cultural baggage around being gay. There still is for many people or we wouldn’t even need to “come out” at all. It would be like announcing your eye colour. However that’s not where we are and it remains a relatively big deal for a lot of people, even if much less controversial that it once was.

However, I don’t think anyone can really be judgemental about someone who didn’t come out or didn’t really comprehend their own sexual orientation. It’s more of a reflection on the legacy of Irish and broader western culture that made this a subject that was controversial and hardly discussed.

I’m bi and have always been open about it but I’ve definitely encountered a lot of issues when I’ve broken up and someone has attributed that to me being not into women or not quite gay enough. So I have a sense of understanding of the complications that arise out of not being able to be put neatly into one box or the other.

To the previous poster all I would say is that marriages break up and it’s very unfortunate when they do, but it’s unacceptable to walk away from your children and responsibilities. That’s absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation. Whether you’re straight, gay or bi and regardless of how your relationship is defined, if you’ve kids, you look after them! That’s just about being a responsible parent.

My view of it is that marriages can and do go wrong and the blame and even where reasons may all be on one side but in any situation like that, whatever they are, you ensure your children are looked after and that the outcome is as good as it can be for all involved.

Personally, I’d find someone not taking responsibility for their kids, when they have the ability and the resources to do so, to be abysmal behaviour, no matter what the circumstances of the breakup are.

I know at several people who’ve divorced parents, one of whom has a gay dad and all of those people have taken huge roles in their kids lives, despite awkward situations with interacting with their exs and so on. One has to shoulder responsibilities to be grown up!

That was a Great Post Xertz, lot of thought went into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Was Philip Schofield reading this thread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

Having knowing very little about him I was surprised people thought he was straight at all.

Just like the detailed and informative post above, it's unfair to presume he ever had the intention of "deceiving" his wife. They were married 27 years, that was a long time ago, and the world was very different.

Even if you liked men you might not take the time to pause and wonder what that implicates for your sexuality. That's how I felt in my early years, and only for being born in a much more accepting time I may never have reached the right conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

Was Philip Schofield reading this thread ?

I wonder if he is actually bi, and came out as gay to preempt some story about his extra-marital relationship.

I wonder if it is more difficult to come out as bi as it confuses people? Easy, exclusive categories are so much easier to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Like I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for him to have that weighing on your mind until you're 57. But then he's been in showbiz for decades and coming out for him is like coming out to millions rather than just your family and close friends, it must be extremely tough. Glad he feels like he's in a place mentally where he feels comfortable doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Schofield thread quickly became a complete ****show...and people wonder why people still struggle to come out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sued123 wrote: »
    It happened to me. When I was 39 my husband and father of my 3 children came out. I had absolutely no idea and it shattered my world into a million different pieces. 5 years later he now thinks that he did no wrong, thinks that we are both to blame as we never got on and has absolutely no interest in the 3 kids that he was insistent that I had. It’s a despicable thing to do but I have to take the positives out of it. I have 3 lovely children and he has no idea what he is missing out on with them, I’m raising them alone and it can be really tough but I’d be lost without them
    This is pretty heartbreaking. He sounds like a selfish git.

gmisk wrote: »
    The Schofield thread quickly became a complete ****show...and people wonder why people still struggle to come out....

Disaster, but it kinda fell in line with what I've seen elsewhere on social media about the topic. To be fair, the vast majority of people are kind, or at least polite, and almost everybody knows a gay person in real life and would probably never dare say to their face what they say online, it's sad what that anonymity does when it exposes people's real feelings about certain topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Very surprised about Philip Schofield. At least now he can be true to himself. I do wonder why he would make a private matter public?

Disaster, but it kinda fell in line with what I've seen elsewhere on social media about the topic. To be fair, the vast majority of people are kind, or at least polite, and almost everybody knows a gay person in real life and would probably never dare say to their face what they say online, it's sad what that anonymity does when it exposes people's real feelings about certain topics.

Isn’t their a certain amount of tact that we all use when conversing with our fellow man irrespective of the subject matter.
    The other point here is whether Schofield is actually Bi as opposed to simply gay?

holyhead wrote: »
    Very surprised about Philip Schofield. At least now he can be true to himself. I do wonder why he would make a private matter public?

Britain (well England anyway) has a very, very different media culture to Ireland. If this were a story about an Irish TV personality going through similar, you could expect an in-depth interview on RTE Radio 1, a chat with the Late Late or similar and it would be treated with a lot of dignity and proper discussion.

In England it will be attacked by the gutter press and he'll be paparazzied for the next few months until it dies down.

I would suspect he went public with it as he was probably advised to if he wanted to control the narrative. The alternative is that he came out and would have his own personal life, his marriage, his kids and everything else ripped apart by vicious tabloids who are just after a load of gossip.

It's one of the things in England that's extremely different to Ireland. We do actually tend to treat people with a lot more tenderness when it comes to something like this or a big divorce or anything really.

Basically he now owns the story in a way that he would not have if he'd just let it leak out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Xertz wrote: »
    Britain (well England anyway) has a very, very different media culture to Ireland. If this were a story about an Irish TV personality going through similar, you could expect an in-depth interview on RTE Radio 1, a chat with the Late Late or similar and it would be treated with a lot of dignity and proper discussion.

In England it will be attacked by the gutter press and he'll be paparazzied for the next few months until it dies down.

I would suspect he went public with it as he was probably advised to if he wanted to control the narrative. The alternative is that he came out and would have his own personal life, his marriage, his kids and everything else ripped apart by vicious tabloids who are just after a load of gossip.

It's one of the things in England that's extremely different to Ireland. We do actually tend to treat people with a lot more tenderness when it comes to something like this or a big divorce or anything really.

Basically he now owns the story in a way that he would not have if he'd just let it leak out.

The Daily Mail have been really going after him for the last few months anyway. Constant articles about possible feuds between him and Holly, and then between him and Ruth Langford. Articles about any time they have to talk to each other it's "frosty" and "awkward", full articles about any "tense glance" between them etc. For some reason they took an awful dislike to him, even though chances are they knew nothing about him being gay. I don't think it influenced his decision to come out, as he was likely waiting and building up the courage to do so anyway.

Hopefully this means while he'll undoubtedly receive more media attention, it'll be more positive or at the very least neutral, given the large public support for him now.

All I could say is I saw a very frightened, minor celebrity being pursued by paparazzi while trying to have lunch in London and she was basically trying to hide and looked extremely upset. This was just in some random place in around Westend / Soho in the middle of an afternoon.

It was awful to see and she was quite literally just some really not very well known, but glamorous TV presenter that I'd barely even heard of. It really would be stalking and harassment in any other context and there was absolutely zero legitimate public interest in taking a photo of her having her lunch. She hadn't done anything to warrant any attention at all other than take part in some tv show.

I just find the whole tabloid culture in the UK horrendous - both how they treat people like that and also how they become full blown actors wielding ridiculous amounts of power in elections and so on. They're anything but neutral commentators. How anyone working for one of them could even call themselves a journalist is beyond me.

Between running campaigns against the EU and more or less running Megan Markle out of the country for no particular reason, it's quite an unusual press!

In general in Ireland I think we tend to see the UK through the window of British TV which is FAR more civilised than the print media. In general BBC, ITV, C4, Sky and anyone else is pretty balanced, fair and capable of treating stories well and with intelligence. The press is a whole other ballgame though. Fox News would be high brow compared so some British red tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I would imagine someone was about to break a story on Schofield hence his coming out. Or maybe he's just ready. Whatever, it's good he's able to be his true self now. I feel sorry for his wife but staying hidden was not going to help her either. Now they both have the chance to find someone

Isn’t their a certain amount of tact that we all use when conversing with our fellow man irrespective of the subject matter.
    The other point here is whether Schofield is actually Bi as opposed to simply gay?

There is, but then going behind a peers or maybe even someone in your friend circle's back (or online) and talking about their lifestyle choices seems a bit cowardly and two faced.

They’re also not usually lifestyle choice. It’s just how your are.

So it’s more like going behind someone’s back and discussing some intrinsic aspect of them that people find entertaining as gossip.

Does it really matter whether he's Bi or Gay? He chose to say Gay in his statement so that's what he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

gmisk wrote: »

Unfortunately social media cares too much about other people's lives.

If everyone just minded their own business the world would be a better place.

A guy in England's sexuality is irrelevant to me. And 99.999% of everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

On the Phillip Schofield thing.

Did his wife and kids only find out shortly before he made this announcement? By that I mean was he living as a married faithful couple, or did the wife know and they were essentially just really good friends both living seperate romantic lives.

JJayoo wrote: »

Did his wife and kids only find out shortly before he made this announcement? By that I mean was he living as a married faithful couple, or did the wife know and they were essentially just really good friends both living seperate romantic lives.

From Reading a few articles it would seem she has known for a while, but she's reported as being shattered by fact he doesn't love her the same way as she does him. I would say he does love her very much....it's just he's not sexually attracted to her, obviously.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »

She knew for many years. As did Holly and others around him. It was kinda an open secret. Assume that he was threatened with exposure and he is coming out publicly now to preempt that. Expect a "My lover Phil" article in a tabloid soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.politicalite.com/entertainment/revealed-phillip-schofield-came-out-after-affair-with-runner-was-about-to-be-exposed/

Seems like this was the driver of Philip's "bravery and courage". This may be just tabloid speculation of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.politicalite.com/entertainment/revealed-phillip-schofield-came-out-after-affair-with-runner-was-about-to-be-exposed/

Seems like this was the driver of Philip's "bravery and courage". This may be just tabloid speculation of course...

Feel very sorry for his wife of over 27 years.

It's very likely the tabloids were driving it.

However, the guy's simply TV presenter. It's a job. It may be a high profile job, but it's a still just job. I really fail to see the public interest.
    How his marriage operates is frankly none of anyone's business other than his and his wife's.

It's great he opened up a topic of discussion, but the reasons for that are likely that a voyeuristic media outlet wanted to sell a salacious story to give gossipy readers a giddy thrill. That's ultimately what it comes down to.

What I find odd about this is we're all supposedly living in this rather progressive, liberal, open minded society but when something like this happens it's straight back to 1950s conservative social mores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Should they not just be called frauds or cheats?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The most disconcerting aspect of the entire matter is how many people seem to revel in his misfortune. Words like " cheater" and "fraud" get bandied about.

His wife knew.

Just briefly touching on the subject of failed marriages and in particular the topic of bisexuality. I have a lot of friends who are really struggling with their respective wives and husbands. It is tough and contemporary marriages do not have the durability of former generations, rightly or wrongly.

A lot of my friends who are married often discuss that a lack of sex is a real issue. I do ponder, if this is about feelings or preferences of either partner, which are underdeveloped or unnurtured at the commencement of these marriages. I think it is a bigger factor than meets the eye.

The concept of " I am not in the mood tonight honey" or " sorry baby I have a splitting headache".... these lame excuses may have deeper undercurrents.

Bisexuality really needs a more robust and open discussion. Too many people who consider themselves "straight" and heterosexual are terrified of contemplating it. This remains an issue in my opinion. The reality is that there is probably thousands of bisexual people out there trapped in marriages, albeit with partners they deeply love, but whom they are no longer sexually attracted to.

Monogamy may not be the only issue, particularly if either partner is bisexual.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Should they not just be called frauds or cheats?

Mod

Please adhere to charter and refrain from posting in a disrespectful manner.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

@IAMAMORON:

That's why I maintain that present-day societies are only progressive to a point and then things suddenly snap back when it suits a morally outraged tabloid readership, who in reality just want to get a giddy thrill out of someone 'doing the dirt,' and suddenly we're back in the curtain twitching, tongue tutting days of the 1950s.

People's relationships and marriages can be extremely complicated and don't always follow the 'and they all lived happily ever after' storyline of some Hollywood movie. People marry for all sorts of reasons and divorce for all sorts of reasons and may or may not maintain all sorts of complicated relationships that don't quite fit those traditions.

I know several divorced couple show are still quite definitely still very close friends after divorces and all sorts of complicated scenarios like that.

Life's complicated and I think if we spend all our lives going around seeking to be outraged, it makes for a rather dismal and miserable society. Ireland in particular was absolutely full of judgemental conservatives who liked nothing better than to wag their fingers at and even shun anyone who dared to fall outside their narrow world view.

for those who can't get their heads around how someone can not understand their sexual orientation in their 20s (or later) then count yourself very lucky. For a lot of people it's way more complicated than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Agree with pretty much with all you say Xertz, life's complicated as is sexual orientation, not everyone fits neatly into defined labels and sexual orientation can change over time. I don't think anyone is truly 100% straight or gay, most have a stronger preference for one or the other sex, but, I think given the right circumstances or meeting the right person anyone could end up in a gay or straight relationship. I think we are beginning to see this in the younger generation as they are more open minded and their sexual orientation appears more fluid than previous generations. Hopefully this will lead to a better more understanding society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

Puts a whole other slant on the Schofield story when he followed that kid on twitter when he was 15,think its time he done a Barrymore at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Has Schofield got a swimming pool?

• Advertisement

Mod

Folks this is the lgbt forum. Familiarise yourself with the charter. If you are going down the gay = paedophile route go elsewhere.

Feedback on moderation only by pm

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

368100 wrote:

A gay chap worked for me in the 80s for a few years. He wore his gayness on the outside. He enjoyed life and had many, many boyfriends over this time. You'd be surprised at how many of his boyfriends were married. Mostly middle aged men with families.

It must be tough on the gay man in the marriage and tough on the family when he eventually comes out. I'd hope that society doesn't push as many gay men into marriage now as it did decades ago

Is it possible that gay men simply want to have the traditional family life? That they like being fathers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is it possible that gay men simply want to have the traditional family life? That they like being fathers etc.

Plenty do and plenty don't...just like straight men and gay or straight women. It's never all or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I was one of the gay men that was on liveline. I wanted to go with my own voice but they wanted to protect my child. I came out last year after been separated for over 2 years, I never while married cheated on my wife. Even before I got married I was never with another man until I separated.

The reason was I didn’t want to be gay, I had to fight it nearly every day since I was about 16. I forced myself to go out with woman. I finally couldn’t fight it anymore as it was killing me and came out to everyone last year.

It was a shock to all as I’m not stereotypical gay so to speak. My ex was deeply hurt and I regret and was deeply sorry that our marriage was a lie.

200motels wrote: »
    I was one of the gay men that was on liveline. I wanted to go with my own voice but they wanted to protect my child. I came out last year after been separated for over 2 years, I never while married cheated on my wife. Even before I got married I was never with another man until I separated.

The reason was I didn’t want to be gay, I had to fight it nearly every day since I was about 16. I forced myself to go out with woman. I finally couldn’t fight it anymore as it was killing me and came out to everyone last year.

It was a shock to all as I’m not stereotypical gay so to speak. My ex was deeply hurt and I regret and was deeply sorry that our marriage was a lie.

Brave thing to do all the same so fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tommymoate

Hi, i have been married about 12 years now and but was 7 years with the person before marraige so 19 years in total. i had certain feelings when i was younger but i didnt really no how to handle them or what i wanted so i ignored them until i was in my twenties when i accepted i was bisexual, at this point i was going out with my current wife and decided that is what i wanted so went ahead with the marraige. At times the feelings can be pretty strong and i wonder have i made the right choice and then other times i have no feeling about men at all which always leads me to belive that i made the correct choice.
    Over the last year thought the feleings have become stronger and i have been doing alot of thinking, as the months have passed i have noticed other things in my relationship which i never questioned before but now do. My wife does not know i am bisexual as she was very homophobic when younger but lately has relaxed her view somewhat, i am in the process of planning to tell her how i feel and im hoping she will accept, atleast if she knows this, i can see what the future holds and wheter its built up more in my head because she doesnt know or whether its the other life i want to live. Also on a sidenote, i have never cheated on my wife with anyone but i worry if i dont tell her and things build up i might go down a bad road.
    I know this post is probably all over the place and making no sense but i have been watching it a while now and always said i should put my story across.

First of all I would just like to say that as a bi guy, I can appreciate where you're coming from as sometimes we are quite misunderstood and I think sort of 'fall between two stools'.

On the one hand, we need to be able to be open about our own sense of identity and proud to be bi, but on the other hand that does not mean that we aren't able to commit to one person be it in a heterosexual or homosexual relationship.

By coming out as bi, it does not mean that you want to run off and go out with someone else, rather that you are just trying to tell people about how you experienced the world and be visible and proud of who you are. This is where it will tend to cause confusion for straight or even some gay people who are somewhat confused by the concept of being bisexual and believe me, I've encountered as much (if not more) bad advice and judgemental statements from gay men as I have from straight women on this topic.

I would suggest perhaps contacting the Bi or LGBT groups via one of the community centres in Dublin or Cork (I'm not familiar with the other cities as much) but there are supports out there in terms of social groups and so on for bi people.

I fully appreciate that you do not want to or intend to cheat on your wife, and that you are just communicating who you are and wanting to be comfortable with yourself, but just approach the topic with extreme delicacy as some people can jump to all sorts of conclusions or have a total misunderstanding of what it is to be bi.

I would suggest that you make contact with an LGBT support group, preferable a bigger one with more experience i.e. in one of the cities, before you make any announcements and just talk it through with someone face to face.

They can even provide you with a list of LGBT or even specifically bi aware counsellors and so on should you need serious emotional support.

All I would say is don't rush, talk to someone in one of those organisations (and I think actually other posters here might be able to direct you better than I would) but just take your time and have a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

tommymoate wrote: »
    Hi, i have been married about 12 years now and but was 7 years with the person before marraige so 19 years in total. i had certain feelings when i was younger but i didnt really no how to handle them or what i wanted so i ignored them until i was in my twenties when i accepted i was bisexual, at this point i was going out with my current wife and decided that is what i wanted so went ahead with the marraige. At times the feelings can be pretty strong and i wonder have i made the right choice and then other times i have no feeling about men at all which always leads me to belive that i made the correct choice.
    Over the last year thought the feleings have become stronger and i have been doing alot of thinking, as the months have passed i have noticed other things in my relationship which i never questioned before but now do. My wife does not know i am bisexual as she was very homophobic when younger but lately has relaxed her view somewhat, i am in the process of planning to tell her how i feel and im hoping she will accept, atleast if she knows this, i can see what the future holds and wheter its built up more in my head because she doesnt know or whether its the other life i want to live. Also on a sidenote, i have never cheated on my wife with anyone but i worry if i dont tell her and things build up i might go down a bad road.
    I know this post is probably all over the place and making no sense but i have been watching it a while now and always said i should put my story across.

Hi Tommymoate, you need to thread carefully here and really think this through before telling your wife. You've been with your wife almost 20 years and not given her any reason to suspect that you are attracted to men. She is likely to wonder what else you are hiding from her and will probably not believe that you haven't cheated on her with another man. Even though you are bi she will probably assume that you are gay and that your marriage is just a cover and any trust she has for you will be gone.

You really need to think what will be achieved by telling her that you are bi especially if you intend to stay faithful to your wife. Are you expecting your wife to give you permission to explore your bi feelings? If you intend to act on your bi feelings then it's probably best that you tell your wife first., obviously this would likely lead to your marriage breaking down.

You know your wife better that anyone so have a better idea how she will react, but, I would error on the side of caution here.Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tommymoate

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Hi Tommymoate, you need to thread carefully here and really think this through before telling your wife. You've been with your wife almost 20 years and not given her any reason to suspect that you are attracted to men. She is likely to wonder what else you are hiding from her and will probably not believe that you haven't cheated on her with another man. Even though you are bi she will probably assume that you are gay and that your marriage is just a cover and any trust she has for you will be gone.

You really need to think what will be achieved by telling her that you are bi especially if you intend to stay faithful to your wife. Are you expecting your wife to give you permission to explore your bi feelings? If you intend to act on your bi feelings then it's probably best that you tell your wife first., obviously this would likely lead to your marriage breaking down.

You know your wife better that anyone so have a better idea how she will react, but, I would error on the side of caution here.Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for the replies. i know exactly what you are both saying. im not sure what i hope to achieve by telling her, i just fear if i dont and this builds up in my head more that it might lead to eventual marraige breakdown. My feelings have grown this last 12 months and i just worry i will get to a point where my wife is not enough and i need more, and i dont want to do that to her. I would not tell her in the hope she allows me to explore my bi side, she would never do that. I think i feel im cheating on her by being bi and her not knowing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement