Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for viewings

Options
  • 26-01-2020 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

Myself my partner & another couple are currently looking for a place to rent. So I'm just looking for some advice on how to approach viewings with potential landlords/agents given our situation, which I'll explain below...I'll try and keep it short.

I am working full time. My partner is non EEA citizen and is not currently living in the country but is due back early next month. He had to return home due to expiration of his visa. We are getting married next month and he can't really look for work until we've gone through the immigration formalities. The other couple are in a similar situation. One EU citizen & one non EEA, getting married next month also. The guy only returned to Ireland recently so he has only started working in the last week. His fiance can't return here until after they're married. Myself and the EU guy will both be supporting our respective partners until such time that they are set up with work. Which I'm confident will be by the end of April.

The other three all lived in the same house. They asked for a reference off their estate agent but were told that all they would get was a letter stating that they are still living there, which is not the case. Also when the guy went to collect the letter he was told "if for any reason someone calls and ask for any information about you,we will say we don't know you".

So basically we're lacking references. I can provide anything agents or landlords will ask for, plus proof of savings. The EU guy can provide a work reference but the reference from the agents is pretty much redundant.

I have had a few viewings so far and been totally honest with the people who were showing me around but I'm getting nowhere. As a friend said to me, "the next 10 people in line for any place won't have those problems". So I'm just looking for some advice on how to approach viewings from now on? Or opinions from landlords on what you would think if I were explaining the situation at a viewing?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

We’re the other couple actual tenants named on a lease. I can see no other reason why an agent wouldn’t give them a reference. Maybe they were sub letting from an actual tenant and as a result agent will only give reference to the actual tenant.

As regards your situation all I can suggest is possibly present yourself and the other guy as the tenants and leave your partner and the other guys partner off the lease. I can’t under any circumstance see a landlord or agent renting to 4 people with 2 not working. Or hold off renting together until respective partners have secured jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Yet I would avoid this kind of tenant. Two couples.... four people two not even at the viewing. Only two working ,weddings ... etc
    Expenses etc etc .

Can you apply for an apartment with your partner without the other couple ?

What guarantees can you give for rent ? How much is the apt ?how much do earn?

You have to convince the landlord that you are not a high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The other three all lived in the same house. They asked for a reference off their estate agent but were told that all they would get was a letter stating that they are still living there, which is not the case. Also when the guy went to collect the letter he was told "if for any reason someone calls and ask for any information about you,we will say we don't know you".

That's rather odd - can you elaborate further?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Timmy_the_dog

I don't know what their previous rental agreement was. But the agency has acknowledged that all three of them lived there and has given them letters stating that they are still living there, even though they moved out months ago..which I find pretty bizarre. They lived in a 3 bed house with 6 other people..so 9 people in a 3 bed. The agency only took cash.

We have looked at a place for €1900, so €950 each. That would be about 45% of my monthly take home. Would that be viewed as high risk or not sustainable? It would be similar for the other guy. I also have savings of just under €10000, but I'm not sure if that is something that can used as proof of ability to pay?

I must admit that I have probably been a bit naive about the whole thing. I haven't had to do the whole viewing thing for at least 10 years so I didn't realise how difficult it would be..especially given our situation. I can see now how it looks to prospective landlords when I'm presenting this to them. We have a viewing on Tuesday. If/when that doesn't work out it is probably a better idea to get separate places for a year or so and then revisit getting a bigger place together.

Thanks a mill for all the replies...was probably the eye opener we needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They lived in a 3 bed house with 6 other people..so 9 people in a 3 bed. The agency only took cash.
    The agency won't give a reference, as the place sounds possibly illegal.

Look into renting a studio apartment that has a double bed, and it's own external door.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »

Look into renting a studio apartment that has a double bed, and it's own external door.

That's what I thought about the agency myself...pretty dodgy.

I reckon a studio for each couple for at least 6 months is probably what we'll have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Are ye actually planning to live together as 2 married couples eventually?

Are ye actually planning to live together as 2 married couples eventually?

Yes, for a year or two anyway. We're not in a position financially to look to buy at the moment and we would rather share a house with people we know for a reasonable amount of rent than live in an over priced one bed where we we wouldn't be able to save as much.

MODS-I'm happy for the thread to be closed now. Thanks to everyone for the replies. They were very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

the_syco wrote: »

My reading of the OP is that the agency will give a letter to say X tenant has/is living at X address.

They have told the tenant if someone calls up regarding the reference they will only repeat the written reference ie yes X tenant lived at x address, and not comment further as they 'dont know them'.

Pretty standard for refs these days including works refs.

Doop wrote: »
    My reading of the OP is that the agency will give a letter to say X tenant has/is living at X address.

They have told the tenant if someone calls up regarding the reference they will only repeat the written reference ie yes X tenant lived at x address, and not comment further as they 'dont know them'.

Pretty standard for refs these days including works refs.

I still find it strange that they wouldn't give them previous rental refs. My partner for example..moved in 05/2017, moved out 07/2019 but the letter states that he's still living there..maybe it's just lazy admin policy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement