Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Gravel Routes (Check out my Gravel Tips)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm going to link this here too. I really think, with a minimal amount of work, this could become a great resource

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Could someone post a link to a 90-120 min gravel loop around the standard trails on Hell Fire, Cruagh, Tibradden, ThreeRock ?

Something rideable on decent enough tracks without bike carry's and a decent portion of off road ?

Thanks Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I did ticknock over to GAP last autumn, and iirc, it was fireroad in ticknock over fireroad to the top of GAP. My very limited skills was able for the "harder" option blue trails down to the GAP trail head anyway. Quite enjoyed that section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

How about something like this?

Alternative options :

1. enter cruagh at the hairpin after viewing point instead of at the carpark, but a bit of hikeabike there.

2. Leaving cruagh go straight over into tibradden past zippit and out the far side, down mutton lane for a shorter spin.

3. Go into gap and up 3 rock instead of going around by foxes and up past the golf course towards the blue light pub - reduces amount of road but dunno if GAP get antsy with cyclists going up the Dublin mountain way - it's supposed to be right of way for walkers only.

If you're on Farcebook check out "Irish gravel cycling" or "gravel bike - routes ireland"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Perfect. Will try this next time. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishGravelCycling/permalink/1187976381871413/

This is a shame and a bit of a joke, given they are effectively public lands but the public can't cycle on them

I'm not on Facebook, can you paste the info, or explain it a little

I'm barely on it myself, my siblings and a friend from primary school are regular friend suggestions

From Dave Flanagan

"Hi All. As someone of you know I'm currently working on updating my book Cycling in Ireland. I have seen it mentioned a few times here in the context of gravel riding so I just wanted to update you all on the current situation with it.

In summary - I won't be adding any routes on Coillte land as I'm afraid there might be legal issues.

Some background. When I was working on the first edition I really wanted to add more off-road/easy MTB/gravel routes and I had multiple discussions with Coillte to see if it would be possible to do so. I was met with enthusiasm initially, but ultimately I was just left hanging. This seems to be a common occurrence when people try and interact with them. So I decided to omit the proposed routes.

This year the plan was to add 20 routes to the second edition, most of the 20 were going to be on gravel, on the basis that it would be easier to get forgiveness than permission. However, a recent post on here caused me to rethink this plan and after talking to a number of people close to the situation I have decided to omit the routes that use Coillte land.

This is disappointing on a number of levels: the routes are really great, some of the best spins of any sort I have ever done; as I had put a long of energy into them it represents a waste of my time; and most importantly we have this crazy situation where we aren't allowed cycle on these routes, yet we all do, we just can't tell anyone about it.

The fact of the matter is that there is a bye-law that prohibits cycling on Coillte land outside of designated areas. Effectively gravel cycling in Ireland is illegal.

Coillte owns about 10% of the country, well we the people do as Coillte is a state-owned company. They cite insurance problems as the reason. One aspect is that they seem to lump all forms of cycling together, for instance, we might understand the issue they have with people building massive jumps on their land, but gravel cycling can hardly be considered at the same level of risk. Other countries don't seem to have this insurance issue so it seems to me that it is just an excuse.

Anyway, sorry for the essay, I just wanted to share my thoughts and maybe get some discussion going on the situation. I have also posted this on the 'Gravel bike - routes Ireland' group.

https://www.coillte.ie/media/2018/10/Bye_laws_21.05.09.pdf

Regulation (9) 1 which effectively bans cycling on non designated routes

While we spend millions building Greenways to drive to

• Advertisement

I'd agree the "ban" is ridiculous on coillte lands, and a lot of dead ends are only a few 100m's from another dead end that could be linked (just call it a bloody greenway!).

However, my own experience which is mainly restricted to France is that the difference is a lot of what they have as "gravel" we have as tarmac. They haven't paved every boreen, so a lot of it is actually public "road".

I wonder could a reworking of the Occupier's liability act allow open access.

That is to give recreational users of land as much and no more legal rights than a trespasser currently has.

We need to do something, gravel paths interwined with our boreen network is as good as cycling gets here

I've emailed a link and text from David's post to my local carfree cycling-enthusiast green party councillor, asking him to bring it up the chain. Seems totally at odds with promotion of cycling, Greenways and so on, let alone the potential for tourism e.g rift race in Iceland, raidersgravel in Scotland etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

I was only reading the other day Heather Humphries extolling the benefits of the Governments strategic partnership with Coillte for outdoor recreation and announcing similar with Bord Na Mona,

Really the only way to get stuff like this sorted is pressure on politicians, they hold the purse strings, there are local, European and Dail elections coming over the near and medium term, everyone will be in election mode, make your voice heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭JMcL

https://www.coillte.ie/our-forests/explore/

3000km of way marked walking trails, and 6 MTB centres 😭.

In reality the rule doesn't matter a sh1te to users of woods, there is zero policing of it and I'd imagine Coilte could care less about lads on gravel bikes.

The problem is it inhibits the growth of cycling from a tourism point of view. People should be able to share routes without risk whether they are in a business or not.

It has never effected where I ride but I'm semi cautious about sharing routes publicly.

We have this fantastic resource which can only be used on the quite but we can't market it because Coillte are afraid they'll be sued if riders get hurt/or hurt somebody.

• Advertisement

The more you think about it, the more absurd it seems. There is literally nothing required other than deleting a line or a few words from some bylaws. The gravel trails already exist throughout the coillte network for logging anyway. Unlike the 6 "world class (?)" MTB centres which required building and upkeep.

In true Irish style you could make a walking book and just bring your bike for a walk I guess

The same cnuts allow deer shooting on their land with zero policing of how members of the public are safeguarded other than instructing shooters to erect signs.

Oh I like that, "no no no I'm not cycling, I'm hike-a-biking, keep up damnit"

n reality the rule doesn't matter a sh1te to users of woods, there is zero policing of it and I'd imagine Coilte could care less about lads on gravel bikes.

The problem is it inhibits the growth of cycling from a tourism point of view. People should be able to share routes without risk whether they are in a business or not.

It has never effected where I ride but I'm semi cautious about sharing routes publicly.

All this. I've always thought the duty of care towards 3rd parties being on your property is way too skewed away from personal responsibility and is a driver of the "compo culture". A colleague of mine regularly has the MTB out in Coillte woods (which will remain nameless) with unofficial trails. Self same woods would be superb for gravel riding and looking at the Komoot feed of a certain former Irish pro turned presenter has been used for just that.

Allowing promotion of it as an activity could provide a mini greenway type effect and support small local businesses in otherwise remote and marginal areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Do you mean on Coillte/Public land or private lands?

The only time I've had access issues, is the signs for hunting. Which I'm ambivalent about, given Sika are non-native and the sheer population of them. I think the signs are fine.

It's a real pity that this growing area of the sport isn't being exploited more, for whatever legal issues. It's not just Coillte, our National Parks have the same no cycling rules too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Same issues MTB'ers have had for decades, not allowed on Coillte lands and certainly not on national parks either and that won't change..

Coillte has constructed a number of trail centres so that's where they expect all MTB users to go.

Coillte in this case. Not 100% sure if it's owned or leased though

Follow up from Dave Flanagan

"Hi All.

Just to follow up on the previous discussion re Coillte and Gravel Cycling.

Firstly, a certain cycling TD and I are having a meeting with the Coillte head of recreation later in the week to discuss the subject. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Secondly, Coillte are running a round of public consultations this week. So it's a great chance to go along and make your thoughts on their attitude to gravel riding heard.

https://www.coillte.ie/.../consulta.../current-consultation/

You can also send an email to info@coillte.ie. I think the best angle to take is that we should be pushing for them to permit cycling on forest roads unless there is a specific reason not to.

In the comments Flanagan is 100% this is a fight that should be lead by Cycling Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

My impression of Cycling Ireland is that if it’s not racing or collecting insurance money from sportives then they are not interested. I can’t see them chasing this up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AlecSkid3

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing all your tips, not easy to find gravel routes around Ireland.

For those who live in Co. Cork, you can ride gravel in the Boggerah Mountains range and wind farm starting from Bweeng - I called Coilte who confirmed these could be ridden (pics attached).

You can also ride gravel on the fire roads between the MTB trails in Ballyhoura, there are no signs though so make sure you use a GPS.

I'm new to Boards so I can't post any links, routes are available here: https:// gravelmap . com/user/49453-alecskid3

Hope this helps!

Deleted due to stupidity 😞

Post edited by cletus on

Dave Flanagan update

Hi, I thought it might be useful to give an update on the Coillte situation.

We had a productive meeting with Coillte a few weeks ago. It seems that the crux of the issue is insurance. The Occupiers' Liability Act was discussed, and since our meeting this law has been updated. The updated act now places a lot more responsibility on the recreational user. This is very significant, the timing is excellent.

We hope to hear back from Coillte once they have had time to digest these changes and the positive impact they may have on the situation.

After my last post a few people were in touch saying that they had passed it on to political contacts of theirs. For some reason I can't find these messages, so if anyone with contacts with any politicians could get in touch that would be great. Ultimately these changes will only come about due to pressure from the top down.

Fingers crossed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Folks, any links to strave gravel routes in the Dublin and or Wicklow mountains?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The guys who run biking.ie have set up a chipped and timed gravel series. First event is this year in Wicklow and another in slieve blooms. Popped up in my feed earlier today. No idea of cost. They seem to be trying to make a whole weekend of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Your lunch will be earned anywhere near Glenmalure on a gravel bike 😉

€60 early bird, €70 standard. No mention of camping options that I can see (which I thought would go hand in hand with night time events too).

http://gravelrideseries.ie/about/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Thud

it doesn't give a date? or am I missing it somewhere.

is it a race or a sportive?

Stickybottle referred to it as racing:

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/new-irish-gravel-series-launched-wicklow-and-slieve-blooms-events/

No dates yet - I assume it'll be like the lakelander, timed and a race if you want it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Peeling1979

Same as…I’d be on it as a bikepacking / event trip - can’t get to Galway for the Gravel Grinder due to a christening so I was really hoping to do something for this one….perhaps it’ll be updated, looks in the early stages of planning ATM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Jimbo789

are these events happening this year or is there any confirmed dates?

No dates that I've seen yet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Corbra

It seems the GRS was postponed or cancelled? I guess nobody knows. I'm interested in discovering gravel trails in the Sliabh Blooms if anyone has any they can post here that would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've been meaning to get down there on the gravel bike myself but somehow stuff gets in the way, there are a few loops on GravelMap that I was going to start off from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Jimbo789

I found this route but never got to try it out.

It’s starting in Cadamstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Anyone do the gralloch last year or gonna do it next year?

https://www.grallochgravel.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

From Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭breadevery

GRS have updated their website. Entries open December 1st, and a third event in Limerick now listed too.

For Slieve Bloom routes, start in Kinnitty, Cadamstown or Clonaslee and just head upwards into the hills. There are fantastic gravel routes all over the place. Very few dead ends, so you can put together a long route quite easily. Lots of the blue mtb trails are excellent on a gravel bike too.

• Advertisement

Can't post the link at the moment, but the Galway Gravel Grinder posted the below on Facebook yesterday...

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

To all gravel cyclists and enthusiasts:

Unfortunately, we have learned gravel cycling events utilising Coillte managed properties in the Republic of Ireland will not be supported or licensed moving forward. Effectively, this would mean the end of the Galway Gravel Grinder and other events like it around the country. 

We have worked tirelessly over the last few years with Coillte (and many other public and private partners) to put on a professional, safe and community-focused event, and it should be noted that we have built very strong and positive relationships with our Coillte representatives at the local level. 

From the very beginning, we set out to run the Galway Gravel Grinder with the heart of the "gravel ethos" at its core—community! We didn't cut corners, and we made sure to build partnerships with the likes of Coillte, SSE, local land owners, business owners, community leaders, and many others. Additionally, we put our money where our mouth is by sharing close to €4,000 with a local charity over the last two years.  

We understand conversations are ongoing between Cycling Ireland and Coillte to address issues and concerns, and we are very hopeful they will be fruitful. 

In the meantime, I would like to ask that you: 

1) share this with others in the gravel cycling community and beyond; and 

2) add your comments below.  

Please, if you do comment, I would like to ask that the comments remain true to the spirit of gravel cycling: stay positive, be constructive and let's all focus on the desire to solve problems and save gravel cycling in Ireland. 

Lastly, we hope Coillte "grandfather in" the Galway Gravel Grinder for 2024, and that we do host this year's event given our track record. By sharing this post far and wide, maybe it will get to the right people for that kind of consideration. For now, however, we will leave our proposed date as TBD, but plan on late August or early September if it goes ahead with registration opening a few months before. 

Keep those fingers crossed for a positive outcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone got more background on this? Is it as simple as insurance issues?

No, just saw the post on Facebook. They do say in the comments they have the insurance via CI which has been enough previous years. If it's a blanket ban, that's effectively every gravel event (and MTB?) in the State gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I hear there's some claims from 'cyclists' gone in which as you know can cause issues with events or more so the people that control the lands etc.

That's crap.

I get the impression Coillte just might not be engaging or interested in doing so. When we were discussing this last summer, I was talking to one of my local TDs on it, who is receptive to the idea - at least in the MTB context. He shared a 2 pager with me the gist of which was that information sought from Coillte wasn't forthcoming (my apologies for the vagueness, but he specifically asked me not to share the doc so I'm treading carefully).

Whatever way you cut it, it's not encouraging

• Advertisement
Advertisement