Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Lights

Options
  • 04-01-2018 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

looking for recommendations for a good light for riding on country roads for about 4-5 hours?

any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

4-5 hours on unlit roads? I'd go for a hub dynamo.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Exposure do a good one for  about 300 notes expensive but a good alternative to hub dynamo which is the job in the long term but you need to factor in a wheel build as well.
    My hub dynamo set up cost about 400 for dynamo (SP) + lights (supernova) while my cycling buddy went for the exposure strada 1200. There is not a lot in the price but obviously the dynamo doesn't need charging. 
    While the supernova are arguably the best dynamo road lights out there at the moment the exposure lights will give 12 hours on medium and 3 on full. Full is only needed if descending at speed so not a bad alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Trelock ls 950. About 80e. 6hrs full beam. Very clear display outlining run times etc. top quality light with a good spread of light for un-lit roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭ted1

benneca1 wrote: »
    Exposure do a good one for  about 300 notes expensive but a good alternative to hub dynamo which is the job in the long term but you need to factor in a wheel build as well.
    My hub dynamo set up cost about 400 for dynamo (SP) + lights (supernova) while my cycling buddy went for the exposure strada 1200. There is not a lot in the price but obviously the dynamo doesn't need charging. 
    While the supernova are arguably the best dynamo road lights out there at the moment the exposure lights will give 12 hours on medium and 3 on full. Full is only needed if descending at speed so not a bad alternative.

your also getting new wheel included with the hub dynamo. I use mine just for the winter. so it gives back a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I'd agree with the hub dynamo suggestion for longer night rides. Another option would be to get a large battery pack (stick it in a top tube bag) and use a decent set of usb lights. You should be grand actually with rear lights for 4-5 hours, it's the front ones that would need charging. Or you could just get 2 good powerful front lights and change over when one runs out. Niterider and Moon are two of the brands I've used, get the brightest front light you can find. I have a Fabric FLR30 rear light, which apparently brightens when you slow down, so basically like a brake light. Not sure if this feature actually works, but the light itself has a battery life of 8-9 hours on 30 lumens, so that's perfect for riding through the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I purchased this light last year. Rear light not great, but front light is mighty bright, lights up road on a dark night, and I'm in the country. My buddy got one after he seen how bright this was as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Trelock ls 950. About 80e. 6hrs full beam. Very clear display outlining run times etc. top quality light with a good spread of light for un-lit roads.
    The light output from the Trelock 950 is fairly moderate even in the highest setting but the 6 hours is great. On the 2nd highest setting, it will go for 11 hours. And the simple fuel gauge gives great peace of mind. I'm thinking of getting a second one.

(Incidently, when I finished a ride recently mine indicated that 2 minutes were remaining (on the highest setting). I left it switched on in the garage out of curiosity expecting it to drop to the lowest setting and go off a after a few minutes. It remained on the highest setting for a further hour and then it switched to the lowest setting. It was still going after 3 hours but I needed to recharge it for the next ride so I don't know how long it would have kept going).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I got a raveman 1200 for €90 on amazonas it's a great light comes with a remote to change modes and go hi beam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I got my son a dynamo setup recently for €150. Shimano hub in a 26" wheel, decent B&M front and rear lights. An extra €20 gets you an 80 lux front light which does me nicely on my audax rides. All from Rosebikes or Bike24.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Just be mindful of the cheap high lux lights, they can be very dazzling to oncoming cyclists/cars. Ive come across head on collisions on the Clontarf bike path due to one of the riders being blinded by the other who was using the cheap Cree lights found on amazon/ebay. I have one myself but wont use it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Bambaata wrote: »
    Just be mindful of the cheap high lux lights, they can be very dazzling to oncoming cyclists/cars. Ive come across head on collisions on the Clontarf bike path due to one of the riders being blinded by the other who was using the cheap Cree lights found on amazon/ebay. I have one myself but wont use it anymore.
    Very true, The one I got shines light every direction even when facing down, so I taped across the top 3rd of the light. Still can see perfectly, but doesn't blind others:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Bambaata wrote: »

The B&M lights (and indeed most sold by german sites) have proper reflectors that direct the light onto the road. They have to comply with strict german regulations regarding beam cutoff and such.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The Raveman has one side designed like a car light and the other side is only on the hi beam similar again to a car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

+1 on the trelock 950. Half my commute is on unlit roads and it works a treat. Not as bright as I was expecting and I’ve not used it over an hour but it will last hours according to others on here. I bought it after recommendations on here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've got 7 hours out of the lidl lights which take 4 aa batteries, I use ikea batteries 21cents each

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭trainerman

Borderfox wrote: »
    I got a raveman 1200 for €90 on amazonas it's a great light comes with a remote to change modes and go hi beam

Ended up going with this one - seems to do the job so far, great light on unlit roads, easy to change the settings while moving to save battery if going through towns, villages etc. Happy so far!!

Advertisement