Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a bike shipped from london

Options
  • 10-01-2004 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi, first post here...

anyhow, a friend of mine in london is willing to give me a brill price on a bike, but i'd need to get it shipped here.

One option is to go over with ryanair pick it up and bring it back... but even with the cheapest flights I can find (5.99 each way to Stanted) it would cost me the guts of €100 euro.

There must be a cheaper way, FedEx is €150+, dhl is €200+

SOMEONE must do cheap slow delivery from london to dublin...

ANY ideas?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

try Royal Mail / Parcelforce.

I know someone who bought a bike a couple of years ago from one of the big bicycle superstores that advertise in MBR, they paid something like £30 delivery. Maybe you could ring the advertisers up and see who they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, afaik, most bike shops who advertise in bike mags do a much cheaper shipping than FedEx/DHL. If your friend is buying from a shop, maybe they do mail order.

Or you could put out a general appeal for any boardsters who may be travelling that way... :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

While it might be cheaper you don't want to go by BUS - trust me.
    You could wait for an APEX fare from one of the Airlines - or until someone you know goes over.

Try ringing up Aerlingus cargo - they used to do cargo by weight - but might now start charging more for bikes - main problem is you have to get someone to drop it at the airport and collect from this side.

http://www.aerlinguscargo.com/ no click through
    http://www.aerlinguscargo.com/eitracking.htm -tracking

Contact nos.
    http://www.freightfox.com/entries/A05_10141.html

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    While it might be cheaper you don't want to go by BUS - trust me.
    It's not **that** bad. You can get a through fare from anywhere in Ireland to London with Bus Eireann. If freighting it, get them to detach the front wheel and peddles - much easier to pack then.

Cycle back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Thanks guys, wasnt expecting so many suggstions...

Parcelforce (royal mail) websites were bust over the weekend, but are working now, gonna give them a shot.

I'll keep you updated.

BTW its a 1999 *perfect condition* Mongoose 8.3, full suspension mtb, with Shimano Deore LX all over apart from an XT derailer and hubs, avid brakes and mavic rims.
    Its a good old mongoose, unlike the new crappy ones.

NICE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

fer how much?

also any prospect of him putting it on a bus/plane for you and you picking it up the other side?

Ehh, not sure if I should say... might make you too jealous!

He is a good friend, because only good friends would part with such a nice bike for... EURO€350 - at least I think thats good ;)

He's moving to the states - south carolina which is very, very flat. Hense the sale of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

well try and enjoy it :D

any conclusions on the old shipping front?

Looks like Parcelforce is going to work! Yippee.

He's gone to the states, so its up to his sister to pack it... could take a while.

Parcelforce said that they only ship bikes on their "Euro 48" plan, which basically means ST£53 from england to ireland, and add another tenner to that to increase the insurance from ST£150, to ST£500.
    BUT, it needs to be packed flat, i.e. take off pedals twist bars around.
    All in all its not too bad, more than i expected, but ok overall.

Is it a good bike for that price?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Victor
    It's not **that** bad. You can get a through fare from anywhere in Ireland to London with Bus Eireann. If freighting it, get them to detach the front wheel and peddles - much easier to pack then.

Cycle back :)
    It was the trip over was ok ish. But had to spend the night at the Airport instead of somewhere warm 'cos very early flight. Finally got to sleep and was then woken up at 2am to be told it was the wrong Airport :confused: :eek: :rolleyes: , then got to the right airport which we could easily have made in the morning. Then crashed out for an hour or two before getting the bus back. Screaming kids. Got off the ferry and got the bus into work.
    Ryanair would have cost about £20 more if booked on time but you just can't argue with some people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement