Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Cycling tips & tricks

Options
  • 25-11-2003 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

I'm sure we hall have a little tip or trick that we use when cycling, post 'em here...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

yeah, timing snot rockets so they disappear between ur knee and the frame and avoid hitting everyone behind you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Don't spit forward :p
    And if you can't - learn to bunnyhop - very useful for potholes at speed

Dizz

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When at traffic lights come to an almost complete stop short of the stop line and keep your momentum going very slowly, easier to get going from a moving start.

Also at lights, try to take the centre of your lane, it stops bolshie motorists from coming up behind you and forcing you our of the lane.

If you have to stop, and are using pedals with toe clips, try to do so at a lamp post, bollard or railing, no need to unclip.

Watch out for stopped cars with their engine running, they tend to roll back slightly when the hand break is released.

Carry two locks - one for each wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

If going straight while approaching a left hand turn, check over your shoulder & gradually move out so as to discourage motorists from overtaking and forcing you into the turn with them. Most drivers forget that they must slow down & sometimes stop when turning & never factor this in when deciding to overtake cyclists. Ideal position when passing the turn is in the middle of the left lane. Move in after you've passed the turn to let following drivers pass.

Avoid Dublin City Council (tm) cycle facilities, these were not constructed for cyclists.

If stopping in front of a truck or bus (at lights) move forward into the driver's field of view. Never stop on the inside of a juggernaut & if you are forced to, start looking for escape routes.

Never trust to luck................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by cyclopath2001

Never trust to luck................

unfortunately you have to go further than this, actually expect to be nailed. I was once waiting patiently by the lights when a truck pulled alongside me, twas a week after that woman got killed on westmoreland street so i was paranoid about trucks. I kinda looked at his pivot space and figured I'd pull up on to the pavement cos there was only going to be one winner, just as the lights went, I looked again and decided I wasn't far enuff in still. I moved another two feet in and as he pulled off, his rear wheel mounted teh pavement where i had been before my second adjustment!!!

The point of my story is I caught up with him quickly enuff (Dublin traffic) I turned, as I passed, to look back at him, he beeped at me and stuck his finger up. He had seen me, knew he hadn't the space and couldn't give a sh*t. So never trust to luck, never trust anyone else.
    E

• Advertisement
Advertisement