Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Radio To Buy

Options
  • 28-05-2019 10:44am

I narrowed it down to the Yaesu FTDX-3000 or Icom-7300.

The yaesu is seemingly got much better quieter audio without noise reduction compared to the 7300 which seems to be noisier and the NR seems to introduce a much more watery sounding audio.

I don't care much for screens and menus but I realise this is the way it's moving but I hope manufacturers make much more ergonomic radios easier to use without having to go through endless menus.

Older radios are that, getting old and the cost is outrageous for most of the stuff and parts hard to find or expensive so I may as well buy something newer.

I do really wish eventually to get an old Kenwood TS-830 S I love these radios.

My old FT-77 is a good radio but I want something more advanced. I love the look of the FT-77 too , it's never leaving my shack !

I realise there is a huge IC-7300 fan base out there with very biased reviews but from watching a lot of you tube videos and reading forums the FTDX-3000 seems to be the better radio.

What do people think ?

Comments

Anyone got a 7300 I could borrow ?

Or FTDX-3000

Or perhaps a kenwood TS-830S in mint condition they want to sell ? :D

Ok after tonnes and tonnes of research I decided to buy the Icom IC-7300 . Love it. Great radio.

All the reports of overloading the radio, BS, don't run preamps when on lower bands , it says in the manual.

NR is good but NB is only decent, my old Yaesu FT-77 was better able to eliminate QRM from ESB power lines, ( I must call them out to sort that )

Anyway, got the radio today and still learning it's many functions, but love it so far, it's around the same size as the Yaesu FT-77 , being used to SDR it is quite convenient having the waterfall.

Just made my furthest contact a few mins ago on 7.195 Mhz, PV8AL in Brazil, 7,434 Kms, furthest contact so far, I love this hobby, radio is amazing, all that distance with 100 Watts and end fed half wave antenna, that myantennas.com EFHW 8010 is a great antenna !

I still love the 7300, great radio and I've used it a bit remotely when in Germany last week until yesterday. One of the main reasons I got was the ability to remote operate it.

I brought my QRP radio and end fed antenna and had some fun one of the days for 5 hrs.

Advertisement