Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architects? or are they...

Options
  • 14-02-2003 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭

Hi..
    just wondering about your opinions here..
    I was looking around www.myhome.ie and I noticed on the blurb about a development..
    "Architect XXXX XXXX..."
    Now I cant find any mention of the person concerned at
    http://www.riai.ie/ - the Institute of Architects.
    Do you think it's reasonable to expect that someone described as the architect has the professional qualification?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

The odd thing about architects is that the RIAI is not a legal body in the same way as the Insitute of Engineers of Ireland (IEI) and so the IEI has the legal right ot restrict who can call themelves a chartered enginner.

As the RIAI can't do similar there is no restriction on *anyone* calling themselves an architect and setting up a practice. However membership of the RIAI will imply that the have the minimum qualifications as set down by the institute.

My advise don't touch them without RIAI membership for several reasons

1) You no idea of their skill level
    2) I can't imagine thier profeesional indemnity insurance situation would be good!

Of course theri is no guarantee that an RIAI architect will produce something that you'll like.

All this assumes a relatively major job, if all your doing is looking for planning permission - any architectural technicina should be amply qualified to produvce the neceeasry drawings and documents

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would generally concur with what Borzoi has said (I'm a quantity surveyor).
    Originally posted by Borzoi
    Of course theri is no guarantee that an RIAI architect will produce something that you'll like.
    Many architects have pretensions to grandeur and will often try to make things overly 'noyce' (unless this is what you want). If it is just an simple extension or a planning permission you want, many people including engineers and some surveyors will be willing to do this for you.

Advertisement