Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contents Insurance

• 12-02-2003 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Just got my premium renewal from Bank Of Ireland and, to my great dismay, despite never making a claim, it appears to have almost doubled.

I was wondering does anyone know any reasonable home contents insurance providers for tenants that I can try.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Yea, I'd be interested in a few company names who supply this insurance.

Also interested in peoples experiences of contents insurance claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may be very difficult to get contents only if you are sharing a property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Thanks for the help Victor, but it seems like everywhere I try is at least double what I paid last year. Just another symptom of rip off Ireland I suppose. By the time I get burgled I could pay for everything with the amount the insurance premiums would cost. It's basically a choice of who you want to get robbed by - a insurance company or a real person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I let 2 rooms in my house under the "Rent a Room" scheme.
    I've taken out insurance with the AA (they were the cheapest I could find). Contents insurance (not building insurance......) to the total value of Euro 40,000 cost me Euro 165 per annum. I have to declare any goods with a value of over 250 Euro.
    Quinn Direct were the next best quote I got (I got around 8 different quotes).

Do ask around for a few quotes, and also ring brokers as well as the companies themselves, I was offered the AA insurance cheaper from a broker than I was offered from the AA themselves..... bit odd, but hey, I'm not complaining.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭edove

Why is it such a problem getting contents insurance? There's four of us (2 couples) going to share a house, and no one wants to give us contents insurance. We're having to ask the landlord to put our contents with his buildings insurance..

Originally posted by edove
    Why is it such a problem getting contents insurance? There's four of us (2 couples) going to share a house, and no one wants to give us contents insurance. We're having to ask the landlord to put our contents with his buildings insurance..
    The insurance companies have 'fears' about shared (no relationship) accommodation in particular, that one housemate would steal (other than food and toilet paper) from the other or that the profile of guests would be different.

well we are 2 couples and one person from each are related (cousins) so maybe if we explained the circumstances..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Here's a thought:
    Why don't you spend the insurance money on a reinforced door with deadbolts and several good locks for your room?
    You could also consider get those internal window security shutters.
    Maybe a high decibel PIR alarm too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

We're having to ask the landlord to put our contents with his buildings insurance..

He can't insure your property if he doesn't own it. If he doesn't have a 'beneficial interest' in the property, he can't insure it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Yeah, I had this a few years back whilst living with 2 friends.
    You can't get insurance unless related to others living in the house.

Originally posted by RainyDay
    He can't insure your property if he doesn't own it. If he doesn't have a 'beneficial interest' in the property, he can't insure it.
    Actually there are precedent for insuring something that you don't have a 'beneficial interest' in, in particular in construction and property. That said, the insurer would need to be aware of the situation and who the true beneficiary would be.

So are you telling me I cannot get insurance for my contents, because I happy to be living with 3 other people? One of which is my boyfriend and therefore not likely to steal from and one of which is his cousin?

Originally posted by edove
    So are you telling me I cannot get insurance for my contents, because I happy to be living with 3 other people? One of which is my boyfriend and therefore not likely to steal from and one of which is his cousin?
    Exactly, their logic is your boyfriend's cousin's partner might have a party where she would have friends along who would bring their friend, who might nick something.

Of course, this could also happen if it was a "nuclear family", but ...

Advertisement