Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle train

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

beauf wrote: »
    Actually you didn't die. So it's 0% you didn't mention injury so that's also 0%. You weren't even primary school age. Also 0%.

How is any one expected to take you seriously...

Because ye asked for examples of children getting hurt cycling. Are you saying that you only care about children getting killed? That's a fairly **** attitude to life so I don't think (and hope none of ye) have this attitude to children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Where did I say they should go to school in a vehicle of any kind? Go on, actually quote the line I said that.

The point I made in an earlier post is that they should be walking to school. In that video they all talk about the benefits of an early start for exercise and how it wakes the children up. Walking answers all those points without the added risk of interacting with heavy moving machinery. The spokesman in that video even said it was dangerous - that there is no proper cycle infrastructure.

Yet no one is willing to answer me - why have children cycle to school rather than walk? Walking gets is as healthy but has less risk - why use the mode of transport with higher risk to the children.

It's not dangerous. Your own stats prove it isn't.

I tripped one walking and sprained my ankle so thats dangerous.

Id guess motorcycling or skydiving is more dangerous method of getting to school.

But if you've never had an accident while sky diving that means it safe right...

Because ye asked for examples of children getting hurt cycling. Are you saying that you only care about children getting killed? That's a fairly **** attitude to life so I don't think (and hope none of ye) have this attitude to children.

You didn't provide any stats.

How about stats on panda cycling to school. Do you not care about the Panda's. You don't mention adults either. You don't care about anyone getting including. Maybe you're just here to gloat.

Nice...

It's not dangerous. Your own stats prove it isn't.

I tripped one walking and sprained my ankle so thats dangerous.

Id guess motorcycling or skydiving is more dangerous method of getting to school.

But if you've never had an accident while sky diving that means it safe right...

Ah read what I wrote, I was in minor accidents, I had bad landings that I walked away from. ANYTHING is dangerous, getting out of bed is dangerous. Where the stupidity comes in is where there are several ways of getting children to school; driving, cycling walking. We all agree it would be good to get the children out of the car but all of you them decide to putting the children in a higher risk situation is better than putting them in the lower risk situation. How is that clever?

source, please.

also, the blindingly obvious point is why we're debating if the children should walk, rather than debating if the drivers should get out and walk.

Yes, it would help if more drivers walked or cycled. It doesn't prove your logic that its OK to put children in a higher risk scenario when there is a safer one

• Advertisement

Ah read what I wrote, I was in minor accidents, I had bad landings that I walked away from. ANYTHING is dangerous, getting out of bed is dangerous. Where the stupidity comes in is where there are several ways of getting children to school; driving, cycling walking. We all agree it would be good to get the children out of the car but all of you them decide to putting the children in a higher risk situation is better than putting them in the lower risk situation. How is that clever?

You think people should walk to sky diving because it's safer than driving.

Yes, it would help if more drivers walked or cycled. It doesn't prove your logic that its OK to put children in a higher risk scenario when there is a safer one

So sending them to school is dangerous, they should be sky diving.

You didn't provide any stats.

How about stats on panda cycling to school. Do you not care about the Panda's. You don't mention adults either. You don't care about anyone getting including. Maybe you're just here to gloat.

Nice...

Thank you for proving my arguement. When people resort to stupidity like this i know I'm on the right side. Rebut my my main point if you can - why are people picking the less safe method of getting children to school

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

They could drop the kids out of a plane with a parachute over the school. Might be safer than cycling.

Nice mis direct but it still doesn't answer my question to you. Why pick the less safe mode of transport?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why are people picking the less safe method of getting children to school
    you keep repeating this. do you have a source?
    how much more dangerous is it to cycle?
    take a child doing the full 3km; they'll probably do it in 12 minutes or so on the bike, or 45 minutes walking. they're getting full (and very visible) supervision on the cycle. you're saying they'd be safer walking; i'm saying that's an assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Just a point in general - in Galway they've organised a cycle bus to get children cycling to school safely. Massive increase in obesity rates in Ireland so we should be promoting more exercise for children to get them fit, healthy and also into good habits of regular exercise.

If there's 20 children cycling that's surely at least 10 potential cars off the road (as in their not getting a lift).

I can't see any negative points to this scheme - the organisers in Galway should be applauded - it should be rolled out nationwide.

Thank you for proving my arguement. When people resort to stupidity like this i know I'm on the right side. Rebut my my main point if you can - why are people picking the less safe method of getting children to school

You're the one who introduced skydiving in a discussion about supervised cycling.

You've not proved cycling is more dangerous. You've proved you're a danger to yourself cycling, and perhaps skydiving too since you admitted to having bad landings there also.

If you don't know why someone would cycle instead of walking. Or drive instead of walking. I'm not sure explaining is going to add clarity for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

marvin80 wrote: »
    Just a point in general - in Galway they've organised a cycle bus to get children cycling to school safely.
    that's what this thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nice mis direct but it still doesn't answer my question to you. Why pick the less safe mode of transport?
    Far more pedestrians are killed on the road than cyclists. And you want MORE people to be doing this dangerous walking?

Won't someone please think of the children?

Why pick walking if it's more dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Just a point in general - in Galway they've organised a cycle bus to get children cycling to school safely. Massive increase in obesity rates in Ireland so we should be promoting more exercise for children to get them fit, healthy and also into good habits of regular exercise.

Maybe if their Mothers cooked a little bit more at home we wouldn't have this situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

- why use the mode of transport with higher risk to the children.

Cars, cars kill, injure or maim more people than any other form of transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If there's 20 children cycling that's surely at least 10 potential cars off the road (as in their not getting a lift).

I can't see any negative points to this scheme - the organisers in Galway should be applauded - it should be rolled out nationwide.

Apparently these kids should be skydiving to school instead as it is safer.

As long as there's no swooping.

Maybe if their Mothers cooked a little bit more at home we wouldn't have this situation!
    The 1960s called for you. They'd like their thinking back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hurrache wrote: »

Yes.

So the kids should be WALKING not using wheely things.

This isn't two-wheels good, four wheels bad.

It's don't wheel when walking will do the trick.

Walking also includes the kids whose parents cannot afford bikes. Its kinder to everyone and needs less supervision. What's not to love.

The real issue is that in this neighbourhood parents have delegated school transport to a volunteer community group. What keeps the volunteers motivated is their desire to spread the gospel of bicycling. Remove that and the programme falls apart.

The 1960s called for you. They'd like their thinking back.

I've personally been triggered as a man who manages the kids to and from school, and their dinners.

Yes.

Walking also includes the kids whose parents cannot afford bikes. Its kinder to everyone and needs less supervision. What's not to love.

The real issue is that in this neighbourhood parents have delegated school transport to a volunteer community group. What keeps the volunteers motivated is their desire to spread the gospel of bicycling. Remove that and the programme falls apart.

I've no idea what points you're trying to make?

So people shouldn't bring their kids to school on bikes because it makes those who can't afford bikes feel bad?

I'm absolutely staggered that your post is coming from someone with a signature like yours though, demonstrates a massive ignorance when it comes to anything transport related.

For those on mobiles, this is her signature.
    Galway City traffic solutions: Think systemic not simplistic. --- Official purple route map. --- Unofficial Google Maps version --- Official OSI map

Y...So the kids should be WALKING not using wheely things.

It's don't wheel when walking will do the trick....

People get killed walking. Why do you want them to get killed?

I like the way you are trying to derail this.

Can people not get overweight though home cooking?

The motivated volunteers ARE the neighbourhood parents. They have a rota.

What's not to like?

People get killed walking. Why do you want them to get killed?

Equal opportunities for all apparently. Those elites with their bikes should be equally liable to be killed as those who can't afford bikes. That's my take from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It’s the people driving the cars that kill other people. The car is the weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Fantastic community led Initiative in Galway and has got a lot of support locally. It has seen a large increase in popularity since it began.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yes.

Can you get any more anti-cycling of a post than this?

Advertisement