Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accuracy of Civil records

Options
  • 16-03-2018 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi just a quick question, my great-grand mother and great-grand father married in Cork. He was a free state solider at the time and they had to flee Cork at the time as her family were not happy with the marriage.

On the civil register her father is down as Partick. But after researching with the information I've received from my great aunt, My great-grand mothers two siblings, the area they were from and what she believe her granmother's maiden name I can only fine a match on the census and civil records of her father's name Michael.

So I'm looking to see if anyone has seen something like this before.
    I have two theories,
    1. Her father went by Patrick as there was an uncle/cousin also Michael but used Michael on official documents.
    2. They lied about her fathers real name when getting married to possible hide her identity or connection to father.
    Not sure if either of these are possible.

So is it possible that the civil record is wrong? Would it have been possible to have gotten married and give false information. Any help would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I have come across at least one civil marriage record where the father's name was incorrect but the record was the right one. I can't remember the other example but for the one that comes to mind the best explanation we could come up with was that due to the groom falling out with his father he gave his grandfathers name instead.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I have seen errors in all types of civil registration, baptism and marriage records, newspaper death notices and more.

In the case of the Irish Times death notice, the incorrect given name was corrected in the next issue, but all other errors remain generally forever.

It is impossible to quantify the extent of the problem. Some record keepers are better than others, but even the best can be misled by some flustered informant.

Some errors are obvious, like the baptism of a child born to Mary B and Mary R (should be Pat B and Mary R), but most remain uncertain until proved beyond all reasonable doubt by circumstantial evidence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Are you totally sure you have the right marriage?

Errors were always possible and registrars are more likely to make a transposition error than writing information supplied incorrectly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Diaell

It's the correct Marriage I'm 100% sure of that. But off the info I've been given and the research I've done, I believe her father to be Michael and not Patrick. I think I may just try contact the parish and see if they could either send me the record or if I could view it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Diaell wrote: »
    1. Her father went by Patrick as there was an uncle/cousin also Michael but used Michael on official documents.
    That's the most likely answer. I've seen plenty of cases where the 'official' name was used on some documents and the 'popular' name on others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 jesuisros

Diaell wrote: »
    So is it possible that the civil record is wrong?
    I came across a few instances of Civil Records being wrong too, particularly with dates of birth (minor errors).
    On the Census Website there's an option to report errors and one must supply their email address for verifivation purposes but I never followed through on it. I presume that they'd make contact to check the reasoning for the proposed change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

[QUOTE=jesuisros;1066634
    On the Census Website there's an option to report errors and one must supply their email address for verifivation purposes but I never followed through on it. I presume that they'd make contact to check the reasoning for the proposed change.[/QUOTE]

That is purely for transcription errors, not errors by the person who wrote the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jesuisros

tabbey wrote: »
    That is purely for transcription errors, not errors by the person who wrote the form.
    Yes; that's what I meant

Advertisement