Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny flat.

Options
  • 01-11-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/913959-this-crowded-house/

Anyone watch this program, wondering has anyone built a granny flat ( planning permission and building regs compliant) and live in it as a housing solution did it work were there any problems. That was one of the solutions in the program.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A granny flat is a slang term for ‘ancillary family accomodation”.
    Many people have been granted planning and are legally living in them.

There are a few rules in order to comply such as space, connection to main house etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

kceire wrote: »
    A granny flat is a slang term for ‘ancillary family accomodation”.
    Many people have been granted planning and are legally living in them.

There are a few rules in order to comply such as space, connection to main house etc

I am more wondering were there any family issue in doing this but I suppose that depends on the family :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We had one of these when I was growing up. My Dad's mother lived in it. We converted a family room and downstairs bathroom into a single living space + kitchenette. The door to the flat was into the house rather than to the outside, so that probably makes a big difference. She also had a bedroom upstairs rather than in the flat, and used the toilet in the main house.

There were no real issues. My Granny would have been generally self-sufficient and private as a person anyway, so it was by default a pseudo apartment arrangement. She wasn't constantly hanging around the main house interfering, and we weren't constantly in and out of the granny flat invading her space. She even had a key and she locked the door when she went out or went to bed. Though the key was left in the door, it was more of a comfort thing for her than a desire to keep us out.

So as long as everyone is clear on boundaries and that the Granny flat is someone else's private home - i.e. it's not another room you can use to watch telly or store your stuff - and that likewise the main house is not an extension of the Granny flat, it should work.

I can certainly see how some people would be very difficult in this regard - parents who would be in and out of the granny flat fussing over their adult children, or cleaning up. Or adult children who would be into the main house using the kitchen, eating the food and otherwise being a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

seamus wrote: »
    We had one of these when I was growing up. My Dad's mother lived in it. We converted a family room and downstairs bathroom into a single living space + kitchenette. The door to the flat was into the house rather than to the outside, so that probably makes a big difference. She also had a bedroom upstairs rather than in the flat, and used the toilet in the main house.

There were no real issues. My Granny would have been generally self-sufficient and private as a person anyway, so it was by default a pseudo apartment arrangement. She wasn't constantly hanging around the main house interfering, and we weren't constantly in and out of the granny flat invading her space. She even had a key and she locked the door when she went out or went to bed. Though the key was left in the door, it was more of a comfort thing for her than a desire to keep us out.

So as long as everyone is clear on boundaries and that the Granny flat is someone else's private home - i.e. it's not another room you can use to watch telly or store your stuff - and that likewise the main house is not an extension of the Granny flat, it should work.

I can certainly see how some people would be very difficult in this regard - parents who would be in and out of the granny flat fussing over their adult children, or cleaning up. Or adult children who would be into the main house using the kitchen, eating the food and otherwise being a nuisance.

Adult children? A person is either an adult or a child!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

:confused:
    child
    noun

- a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority.
    - a son or daughter of any age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Child" can be used interchangeably to refer to someone who is under 18 and/or someone who is your offspring. "Adult children" clarifying that they're your offspring, but they're adults. It's a widely-used term.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If a flat is occupied by the adult children of the main home-owner, then it's by definition not a granny flat.

It could be called a teenager-flat, or various other less complementary names.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

mariaalice wrote: »
    I am more wondering were there any family issue in doing this but I suppose that depends on the family :p
    "depends on the family" - that's the operative phrase!

I know of a case where it didn't work out well because of pre-existing issues with and between the parties that were amplified by the living arrangements. Unfortunately I can't give away more details, however, I can give you some advice:

-Granny flats suffer from the same problems as bedsits in that you're dividing a dwelling that was never meant to be split. Add extra sound insulation between the dwellings or try to create a buffer zone, so no bedroom directly above the flat etc. it's more to do with privacy than anything else - I can't stress this enough.
    -Independent control of heating and hot water as the flat dweller will probably be in most of the day while the others will be out.
    -It works much better in the town than the country if the flat dweller is dependent on lifts especially if the relationship goes pear shaped.

If a flat is occupied by the adult children of the main home-owner, then it's by definition not a granny flat.

It could be called a teenager-flat, or various other less complementary names.

There is no such thing officially within the planning and development act. It’s called ancillary family accomodation. It can be used for sons, daughters, grandparents and even cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Where I live (older part of Dublin) the houses are terraced in the main. All have garages and a gate at the back and access to a lane that is driveable.

Gardens are over 100ft long before the garage/gate access. No one can get PP to build a habitable annexe by either converting the garage or knocking it and building another that complies with regs. And is used to house a family member too.

But if you are living in D4 it is a different matter with mews I think, no restrictions.

Just saying, there are many options out there to help the housing situation, but nothing is forthcoming for those who could supply a decent living situation for others in their back gardens. OK if it is attached I know that is allowed subject to PP, but not everyone can do that.

I am sure I will be told that laneways and mews are only for a certain cohort and there is room and access etc. all applies here too. LOL.

I have no intention of changing anything in my house layout. I like the garage down the back with access from the lane, I can do what I like there, all on the deeds, apart from converting it into habitable accommodation or running a business from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I think there are companies who make these granny flats all the time
    in Ireland for less then €20,000

Like your company? :pac:

(They'll ban you soon, btw)

I think there are companies who make these granny flats all the time
    in Ireland for less then €20,000

Mod warning.

This is your last chance. Next post in relation to this company or “I think” there’s companies doing this and your banned.

Consider yourself warned.

Advertisement