Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi license transfer post mortem

Options
  • 10-04-2017 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭

Not sure if anyone has been in this situation before but...

My dad passed away suddenly recently and never left a will. As far as i know the form to transfer the license ownership was never filled out. I've been told that that's it, once the renewal date comes up they will expire.

Is there anyway i can renew these as nect of kin or is it just a case of phasing them out as the expiry dates approach. I'm just anxious for the drivers opperating them more than anything as its their livelyhood.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Have a look at the section on intestacy at the bottom of this page.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/the_deceaseds_estate/what_happens_the_deceaseds_estate.html

It'll give you an idea. Then maybe chat with a solicitor who deals with wills etc.

Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Guffy

n97 mini wrote: »
    Have a look at the section on intestacy at the bottom of this page.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/the_deceaseds_estate/what_happens_the_deceaseds_estate.html

It'll give you an idea. Then maybe chat with a solicitor who deals with wills etc.

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks.

We have an appointment with solicitor later in the week. So they'll go through all that then I'm sure.

My main focus for now was purely on the licenses and drivers and just trying to alleviate their fears as someone had already reported them as operating illegal cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is a taxi licence (i.e. the 'plate' on the car) still a transferable asset?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 stingray555

Yes, it is transferable upon death, but ONLY if the transfer forms were sent in prior to the death abd not after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

gufc21 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has been in this situation before but...

My dad passed away suddenly recently and never left a will. As far as i know the form to transfer the license ownership was never filled out. I've been told that that's it, once the renewal date comes up they will expire.

Is there anyway i can renew these as nect of kin or is it just a case of phasing them out as the expiry dates approach. I'm just anxious for the drivers opperating them more than anything as its their livelyhood.

You need to contact the NTA and chat to them about how to fill this form out. I'm not sure what else you will need but they should know, if anybody will.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Form_S15A_application_to_Assign_an_SPSV_licence_under_Section_15_of_the_Taxi_Regulation_Act_2013_and_2016_Sep.16.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If the nominated representative form hasn't been filled in and submitted during the licenseholder's lifetime I don't think there is much that can be done. Strictly speaking, the licences may have lapsed already. I would talk to the solicitor for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Guffy

Hey guys thanks to all for replies here and through pm.

It appears that unless they were held by a "company" they are gone once they expire. Only hope to keep the lads on the road would be to apply for new ones, which I'm sure are no longer being issued, or to buy an existing one. Having no experience in the taxi business i don't know how comfortable i'd be doing this but sure we'll see what the next few months throw up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

One thing: check with NTA that the nominated representative form hasn't been filled out and filed. This could have been done back in 2013 and forgotten about until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Are taxi licenses still being issued, or have the government stopped because there is too many ?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

"At present, the National Transport Authority is accepting applications for new vehicle licences only for wheelchair accessible taxis, wheelchair accessible hackneys, local area hackneys and limousines"

From https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/spsv-vehicle-licensing-2/apply-for-a-vehicle-licence/

• Advertisement
Advertisement