Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renters / contents insurance

Options
  • 29-11-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

hi, just wondering who people use for contents insurance and what is the easiest company to go with. Looked up a few online and I seem to have to fill out information I don't know (when apt built when there are checks done etc). Also one said it was 15k minimum surely that cant be right just for contents insurance,
    Ideally I want something basic that could be done online that covers theft, damage etc.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If you add up everything you own inside the property the numbers get large very quickly.

Just looking at my living room here now I've about 5k for everything in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm with Allianz.

Your LL will know when the apt was built, they had to to get their own insurance, just ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

So far as I'm aware, contents insurance also includes liability cover which is very useful if you accidentally burn the property down.

Wrong country but similar rules

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/10399470/Renters-blissfully-unaware-of-their-risks

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

thanks! It will be hassle contacting the landlord and as far as I know they bought here second anyway so may not know! thought it would be more straight forward, I don't have a lot but probably time to get insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

I used JLT insurance brokers for contents only.

The no claims bonus I built up while renting counted towards my new policy when I bought my own place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

I got a quote from allianz that was crazy 242 euro Last year was with aa 128 they upped it to 138 this year so went shopping.
    Look at no nonscence they gave me a great quote of 102 euro so I went with them. Just make sure you go through all the extras to ensure you are covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Terri26 wrote: »
    ..they bought here second anyway so may not know!

Yes, they will know. They had to, to take out their own insurance of the building and fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My landlord has been refused insurance on the house as there are dangerous trees right opposite belonging to a vicious man who refuses to deal with them.

Ongoing court case for many years.

I have almost nothing of my own thankfully

Advertisement