Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ministers exempt from NPPR tax???

Options
  • 14-11-2010 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Ministers exempt from NPPR tax???
    mad.gif
    Can anyone verify the claim made in this letter in Saturdays Indo, that government ministers are exempt from paying the NPPR tax? What a joke, if its true!

Anyone one else exempt ... all TDs maybe ? ... on the bullsh1t basis that they need a 2nd house in Dublin to do their job.

While I am at it, I am sick to the back teeth of govt appointed economists (who get paid for sitting on quangos) telling us that a further property tax is inevitable. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/le...y-2418567.html

regards

David
    progress.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

I didnt realise they wouldnt have to pay it, that just really pi£$'s me off even more about the state of the government. They claim were broke and that we have huge debts but they will do absolutaly nothing to contribute to getting us back on our feet - instead all they ll do is make us pay !!! aahh annoying !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Why in gods name do they not have to pay it?? Its only €200 they are going to get so much flack over the next few years for this you think they would be better of paying it!!

I would expect them to be getting a nice big pay cut in the budget too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I presume its a mis-reading of section 2 of the Local Government (Charges) Act 2009 (Check wording of Bill V Act)
    2.—(1) In this Act, “residential property” means a building situated in the State used, or suitable for use, as a dwelling, including any house, maisonette, flat or apartment (including a bedsit) but does not include—

(c) a building let by a Minister of the Government, a housing authority or the Health Service Executive established by the Health Act 2004,

It refers to properties let by the minister in his capacity as a minister for use by others, not as someone who needs a roof over his head. For example, Defence Forces properties are likely to be in the name of the Minister of Defence, not the Department of Defence or the Defence Forces,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Ah right thats ok then.

Advertisement