Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Manhattan!

Options
  • 11-11-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Hi guys sorry if this isnt the best place to post..dunno where is, but is there any propper rental websites like daft for accomodation in manhattan in new york? thinking on heading over there in the next few months and wanted a good site/s to browse..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Did you try craigslist?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

Craigslist.org is probably you're best bet.

Note that if a deal seems too good to be true then it def is. I moved here a couple of years ago, and in my first few weeks I got really excited about some of the apts. before the inevitable mails saying something like "i'm actually in London this weekend, please send me $xxxx to secure the apt". I've heard of people falling for these scams.

Also a number of the apts you'll see on Craigslist are generic apartments stuck up there by brokers - its not necessarily a bad thing. Meet with a broker, and they will be able to help. If you dont want to pay brokerage fees, then tell them this at the outset. For the aptartment i'm in at the moment the landlord looked after the brokerage fee.

Also be aware, you'll need to provide a pretty comprehensive credit history/show min. earnings if the place is going to be in your name.

Craigslist also has a section for people that have rooms available - you most likely wont need credit history etc. if you're moving into someone else's apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

thanks guys, the accomodation section looks all over the place! most have no pics etc, id loke to just browse looking at pics etc like daft etc

Yup, unfortunately there's no site that I know off as simple as daft.ie. Try looking up NY brokers, and looking through their sites - the realtors i used were called Bond: http://www.bondnewyork.com/

Are you looking for your own place, or to move in with other people?

its really only up in the air at the mo, in my last year of college and was thinking of heading to manhattan with a couple of the lads like

• Advertisement

It's kinda tough to look before you move over. You really need to view places before you can commit. If there are a few of ye you'll be grand. Depending on what area you want to live you can get pretty good deals.

Obv rent is alot more expensive in Manhattan than in say Astoria, Queens which is only about 20 minutes from the city by subway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Detour wrote: »
    Obv rent is alot more expensive in Manhattan than in say Astoria, Queens which is only about 20 minutes from the city by subway.

+ 1 much better looking in Queens, Harlem or Brooklyn or even Jersey as metro subway cards can be used on the Path train. The subway and bus system in New York is excellent and runs 24 hours.

Everyone I know in New York, including myself, got their apartments via Craigs list.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Rents in Manhattan are very high - and higher still in the sought-after areas (upper East side, Greenwich Village, Soho, etc.). That said, if it is your first time going, it'd be better if you had someone out there (or someone who knows someone) to advise on an area to base yourselves. If you don't have that I'd suggest looking online at the Irish Voice or Irish Echo, local (tri-state) Irish papers. If you need suggestions on areas with good/easy commutes to midtown Manhattan, let me know. One more thing to plan on is furniture, 99.9% of apartments/houses are not furnished. Good luck and happy planning.

Blizzard wrote: »
    One more thing to plan on is furniture, 99.9% of apartments/houses are not furnished.

True but it's very easy to get stuff for super cheap or free via craigs list or simply on the street. Most of the furniture I had in my apartment in Brooklyn was stuff found on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

ztoical wrote: »
    True but it's very easy to get stuff for super cheap or free via craigs list or simply on the street. Most of the furniture I had in my apartment in Brooklyn was stuff found on the street.

didn't even think of that! you're so right though. That and Ikea for bits & pieces would sort them out;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

op rent in Manhatten for anything resembling decent is really really high.

If your going over your better to look at renting somewhere in New Jersey close to manhatten. Somewhere like Hoboken thats on the Path transport link you will get much more bang for your buck and still only a very short commute into the city.

D3PO wrote: »
    op rent in Manhatten for anything resembling decent is really really high.

If your going over your better to look at renting somewhere in New Jersey close to manhatten. Somewhere like Hoboken thats on the Path transport link you will get much more bang for your buck and still only a very short commute into the city.

Hoboken is nearly as bad Manhatten, Newport would be the better option if your looking in Jersey.

Hoboken is nearly as bad Manhatten, Newport would be the better option if your looking in Jersey.

thanks for the replys guys, hah ya iv noticed most dont come furnished which is quite bizarre! so ye would recommend jersey then? only across the river so shouldnt be that far away..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I did say somehwere like. Hoboken is first top over the river so logically its closer in price. futher you go cheaper it gets ;) but yep Newport is a good shout aswell.

Depends what the OP wants to spend I guess. Personaly Id rather be in New Jersey anyway.

D3PO wrote: »
    Depends what the OP wants to spend I guess. Personaly Id rather be in New Jersey anyway.

If it was a choice between Brooklyn and New Jersey, Brooklyn would win for me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

To be honest if you want to experience new york you have to live in the city.
    Take New Jersey off you list.
    Yes its only across the rive but seriously youll soon find that only across the river is alot of hassle.

Go there and find a room in an apt and then figure out what you would like to do.
    If its a long stay shelling out for a broker is actually a really good investment because the quality of apt shoots up compared to the likes of craigslist.

Alot o this decision will come down to how much you earn.you might simply not be able to afford an apt in Manhattan but if you can go for it

seannash wrote: »
    Go there and find a room in an apt and then figure out what you would like to do.
    If its a long stay shelling out for a broker is actually a really good investment because the quality of apt shoots up compared to the likes of craigslist.

Have to disagree about using a broker over craig's list in NY. Anyone I know in New York whose gone the broker route has had a nightmare of a time while the majority of friends [and myself] have found very high quality apartments and apartment shares via craigs list. OP if there's a group you'll find it's very common for people to rent one or two bed apartments and put a temp wall to create an extra bedroom so while a place make look too expensive for one or two people it can be affordable with more people. We rented a place in Thomas Square park for a year with 4 sharing a two bedroom apartment, it meant we lost a window in the sitting room and one of the bedrooms didn't have a window but we adjusted the rent accordingly.

There are still some cheap spots to be found on Manhatten, few railroad apartments on the upper east side - usually means one or more bedrooms doesn't have a window and can be a bitch in summer as you can't just turn on an ac in there and most of those buildings don't have lifts, might not sound to bad but walk a couple of times up and down to a 10th story walk up and you might change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Have to disagree about using a broker over craig's list in NY. Anyone I know in New York whose gone the broker route has had a nightmare of a time while the majority of friends [and myself] have found very high quality apartments and apartment shares via craigs list. OP if there's a group you'll find it's very common for people to rent one or two bed apartments and put a temp wall to create an extra bedroom so while a place make look too expensive for one or two people it can be affordable with more people. We rented a place in Thomas Square park for a year with 4 sharing a two bedroom apartment, it meant we lost a window in the sitting room and one of the bedrooms didn't have a window but we adjusted the rent accordingly.

There are still some cheap spots to be found on Manhatten, few railroad apartments on the upper east side - usually means one or more bedrooms doesn't have a window and can be a bitch in summer as you can't just turn on an ac in there and most of those buildings don't have lifts, might not sound to bad but walk a couple of times up and down to a 10th story walk up and you might change your mind.
    Well thats the route i went but then again i was looking round the 3k a month mark so im not sure if this is above/below the budget you guys had which may have yieded different results.

The broker allowed us to gain access into more doormanned building with better amenitites.These tend to deal with brokers instead of throwng up ads on craigslist

(hope this doesnt sound like Im trying to one up you,it was just my experience)

seannash wrote: »
    Well thats the route i went but then again i was looking round the 3k a month mark so im not sure if this is above/below the budget you guys had which may have yieded different results.

The broker allowed us to gain access into more doormanned building with better amenitites.These tend to deal with brokers instead of throwng up ads on craigslist

(hope this doesnt sound like Im trying to one up you,it was just my experience)

Thomas Sqaure Park would have been around that price with doorman, non roach infested laudary room etc but like I said we chucked up some temp walls and divided the rent. The issue with alot of that area and further up towards Union square is all the NYU students...bloody pain that lot. Heading out to the likes of Brooklyn avoids alot of them, though avoid Williamsburg hipster infested and SVA students everywhere which is a shame as it's got the best eats in the city. With New York summer heat it's just nicer to be out a little bit.

One area of Manhattan where decent rents can still be found in Alphabet city in the East Village. This is mainly because of lack of Subway access (you'd need to walk 10/15 minutes to the nearest subway stop). When looking in February we saw some 3 bed apartments around the 3k mark - pretty small, but definitely livable. Plus it's a great area for bars, restaurants etc, so you will prob save on cab fares at weekends etc.

Also, Hell's Kitchen is another area where you can still find deals.

As Ztocial mentioned above, for my, Brooklyn would win over Jersey anyday. Some areas of Brooklyn are beautiful, and I know some of the guys out there barley come into the city - they dont need to. Everything you need in BK.

It really does depend what you're after. What type of lifestyle are you looking for? Head down and save cash, or out and about enjoying the city? Also what is your budget going to be approx?

• Advertisement

Detour wrote: »
    One area of Manhattan where decent rents can still be found in Alphabet city in the East Village. This is mainly because of lack of Subway access (you'd need to walk 10/15 minutes to the nearest subway stop). When looking in February we saw some 3 bed apartments around the 3k mark - pretty small, but definitely livable. Plus it's a great area for bars, restaurants etc, so you will prob save on cab fares at weekends etc.

Alphabet City is were Thomas Square Park is and it is a really nice area. Having to walk a bit to hit a subway isn't so bad as the buses also run 24 hours just like the subway. Even when we moved to Brooklyn we still came into Manhatten to hit Avenue A for the bars and restuarants. Landmark cinema is walking distance, with its Midnight at sunshine screening at weekends, as is arlene's grocery bar with the traditional punk rock Karaoke on Monday nights plus super cheap $3 all you can eat indian places and easy enough walk to St. Marks if you want to laugh at NYU students. :p

Advertisement